Outdoors
Sponsored by

Suggestions for killing Yaupon

54,565 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AgEng98
Tomball89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have recently had some areas and trails cleared on our land near Caldwell. The method used was a Caterpillar with a hydro axe (?) mulching attachment on the front. It basically shredded everything above ground level into mulch and chips.

However, the Yaupon is beginning to sprout back up from the base of the roots. I have tried to spot spray using brush killer (GroundWork from Tractor Supply…32% glyphosphate)…this killed a lot of stuff, but seemed to have no effect on the Yaupon, even after 4 weeks. There was not any rain after the application, so I do not believe it was washed off at all before it would have had time to work.

Any suggestions on what to try next?
nnichols
We pull it up from the roots with a bulldozer.
Max06
AG
50/50 mix of RoundUp & diesel. Spray on cut stumps.
Yuccadoo
Talk to Producers.....they have at least 2 chemical solutions.
MouthBQ98
AG
Root rake it up? In sandy soil, pulling the roots up is pretty easy, and a sure kill.
ursusguy
AG
Decent suggestions above.

I will say I love burning yaupon. It's not always the most effective, but I love the volatility of it when it finally goes. Yeah, I am a borderline pyro.
Max06
AG
Hey Ursus- burn any junipers lately? now THOSE are fun!
ursusguy
AG
Yes, yes they are. Used right, you can almost use them as a fire break.
BQ_90
AG
burning yaupon will only top kill it.

https://agrilifebookstore.org/tmppdfs/viewpdf_2451_78976.pdf?CFID=7590095&CFTOKEN=b1e4e20fb816f7ba-4C780C7E-0AE3-1343-9FA8D4200A552D23&jsessionid=9030fb0373f74f76b2373d28434c6b1f5515

some chemical options in this publication

Kenneth_2003
AG
Pulled by the roots is the way dad and I have done it when we absolutely wanted it gone (from the yard).
ursusguy
AG
Like I said, burning isn't the most effective, just the most fun to me. There are various views on burning it too. Do you want long and steady, but not very hot, or fast and really hot? Varies on who you ask. I'll back fire the patch.
GeronimoAg
AG
BQ, that link won't work for me.
ZooGuy
AG
We use a 25% solution of Garlon with 75% citrus oil to kill cut stump trees at the national park I work at during the Summer. Seems to kill most anything pretty well (also quite effective on kudzu).
RhinoVic
A 50/50 mix of Remedy and diesel will kill anything. You could get by with 2 cups Remedy per 1 gallon of diesel. That Remedy is some potent stuff. Grazeon will also work. A 50/50 mix of Grazeon and H20 sprayed onto the base of the plants will kill them slowly, but surely.

"Gentlemen, we have boat drinks."

RhinoVic
CO'89
sixbarag
Sponsor
AG
I use 1 gallon Remedy to 12 gallons diesel, spray on cut stumps or growing yaupon...done!
Big batch but I got lot's of it to kill.
normaleagle05
AG
Here is a fun fact....

Yaupon (Ilex vomitoria) leaves can be used to make a tea that is intensely antioxidant rich and has as much caffeine as a good cup of coffee. Thanks FRSC 304!

Maybe you could sell the leaves to tea drinkin' hippies/austinites until the yaupons were terminally defoliated?
TAMUallen
AG
REMEDY!
Tomball89
Thanks everyone, I will try some the spray mixes suggested and see how that goes. Worst case, I will find someone with a tractor to tear up the roots.
Tomball89
Yuccadoo - is ths Producers Co-op in Bryan you mention?
nnichols
Depending upon where you are spraying, you should take extreme caution to only spray what you intend to kill. Youd be amazed at how many people we know that thought spraying it was the panacea only to eventually kill everything from the yaupon to all of the underbrush etc.
MouthBQ98
AG
I like yaupon, just not when it is where I don't want it.
rln_01
AG
Agrilfe Extension and the state herbicide use committee recommend a 25% Triclopyr (Remedy) in diesel mix for a very high effectiveness rating. Don't use more than you need. Herbicides are expensive.

Spray Volume (as described)
Apply to lower 12 to 18 inches of trunk to wet the trunk; do not spray to point of runoff. Apply completely around the trunk.

Time to Apply
Anytime--optimum time is during growing season when plants have mature leaves.

Remarks
This is commonly called the low volume basal application method. Use a fan or hollow cone nozzle. Use only on plants with smooth bark and a trunk diameter less than 4 inches.

Effective mechanical treatments involve removing the roots. Grubbing, root raking, excavator etc.

You can find more brush and weed management decision support at PESTMAN.TAMU.EDU

Enter your problem plant, stem diameter (for woodies), plant density and the state and county in which you are treating problem plants. Click view available treatments and select chemical or mechanical. You can stop there and download the selected treatment information or go on to build a treatment plan and economic analysis for grazing operations based on forage response.

Use it. It's FREE so to speak. Your tax dollars helped pay for PESTMAN. If you need help, contact me (lnaylor at cnrit dot tamu dot edu) or visit the PESTMAN help website which houses the help tutorials. Have fun killin yaupon!

rln_'01 Whoop!

[This message has been edited by rln_01 (edited 11/15/2010 11:14a).]
WorkBoots09
AG
After spending many a year clearing Yaupon, only to have it come back with herpes like ferocity, all I can suggest is to

KILL IT WITH FIRE
ZooGuy
AG
Garlon = tripoclyr. We use citrus oil, as it seems to soak in the chemical into the wood of trees we cut stump. Also, I believe it's more environmentally friendly. It's commercially sold as "JB oil" - google that, and you can find it online.
Fishing Fools
carpe vinum
AG
Yaupon is da Debil.
carlfloto
rin_01 I'm new to the killing Yaupon world; I get the cut and poison strategy... how is the cut debris disposed of? I can't burn. On-site shredding seems like that would just spread the problem in smaller pieces all over. Seems to me, I have to cut and remove from premises. Your advice, please.
jrbaggie
I live in Central East Texas, Yaupon capital of Texas, hydro mulching is a good way to enhance the future of Yaupon IMHO. We use track hoes, skid steers and dozers to clear it, with track hoe being the preferred. Gotta remove it by the roots to get rid of it.
Bald Eagle
Bald Eagle
Remedy Remedy
AgEng98
normaleagle05 said:

Here is a fun fact....

Yaupon (Ilex vomitoria) leaves can be used to make a tea that is intensely antioxidant rich and has as much caffeine as a good cup of coffee. Thanks FRSC 304!

Maybe you could sell the leaves to tea drinkin' hippies/austinites until the yaupons were terminally defoliated?

Been done. Cat spring yaupon tea. It's pretty good. Wife drinks it. Pretty potent caffeine punch too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.