Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anybody ever eat the offal of deer, wild hogs, or exotics?

3,361 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by FSGuide
Finn Maccumhail
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I haven't been able to do much hunting recently especially since I've come to appreciate properly prepared offal and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this?

Seems to me that you could do some pretty interesting cooking with the heart, lungs, liver, sweetbreads, etc. from deer, hogs, etc.
tx4guns
AG
My dad and his buddies save the deer hearts kidneys and livers for cowboy stew. I can't bring myself to eat it. Not my cup of tea.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Sound pretty good.

I love calf liver and enjoyed steak & kidney pie so that stew would probably be right up my alley. I understand it's not for everybody but then I've also enjoyed the poached pig brains on toast at Feast.
BRP
I've cut up Axis heart, pounded it out, dusted with flour and deep fried it. It's goooood.
bushman
AG
I had fresh heart and liver cooked with onions once. Pretty good eats.
jswags
AG
Every opening morning if a deer is killed we always chicken fry some heart. Good stuff.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Good to know I'm not the only one.
shiftyandquick
You are either French, or starving.
shiftyandquick
One dish I have seen is pig intestine cooked in pig blood. It did not look appetizing.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
quote:
shiftyandquick
posted 3:41p, 11/12/10

My handle on here should give you a pretty decent indicator of my heritage.

And I espouse the rooter-to-the-tooter ethos when it comes to animals. I'm not saying everyody has to like this stuff but if you won't even try it how would you know? Plus, you're missing out on some really tasty bits.
MouthBQ98
AG
Heart, liver and to an extent kidney can be good. Just make sure to cook it well, however you prepare it.

When we cook birds, hearts and gizzards go in a pan on the grill...and get eaten as snacks as they finish cooking...
shiftyandquick
Here you go:

http://guampedia.com/fritada-pork-beef-or-venison-blood-stew/

Give us a report, if you get the chance to make it. And remember rule #1!
Signel
AG
One of the dumb co-workers thought it would be cool to eat the heart of a hog he shot at the company hunt.

I wasn't at that hunt, but informed him of all the lovely diseases hogs can carry.

He turned green like he'd swallowed his snuff.
SWCBonfire
AG
quote:

You mean Scottish, hoss. They have perfected the art of selling the meat and eating what's in the gut bucket: haggis, kidney pie, blood sausage, etc.
Msgt USAF Ret
One of the best camp meals I ever had was elk heart fried with chopped onions and chopped green chilies. We harvested the elk cow in the morning and had this for supper. This is the only innards I've ever liked other than chicken liver and gizzards.

BTW, my ancesters came to America in 1700 from Ireland.

[This message has been edited by Msgt USAF Ret (edited 11/12/2010 10:12p).]
MurphyMID
Take two deer hearts. Cut the tops off. Cut into 3/8" rings, then cut into strips, removing any valve material and any thick membrane remaining. Season and prepare as fajitas. Enjoy...

As an aside, I tricked my wife into eating this. She said it was very good and more tender than she expected...

fahraint
Nope, it sounds pretty offal...
Yuccadoo
Mmmmmm: Haggis, Tatties and Neeps
87Flyfisher
AG
Finn- When I met you at Orvis Woodlands a couple of years ago I thought to myself "he looks like the kind of guy that would eat the liver from a wild hog", now I find out I was right.
FSGuide
Fresh venison liver cut into thin strips, dipped into milk then flour and seared on a hot skillet is one of the best meals you can have at deer camp.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.