Outdoors
Sponsored by

Catfish Stink Bait

6,151 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 13 yr ago by jbturner24
txaggie01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have a good recipe for stink bait for catfish? I am heading to my parents for the July 4th weekend and they live on Lake Corpus Christi and catfish fishing is usually pretty good. I have tried some store bought stink bait, but was thinking about making my own for this trip.

Is there a certain "fermentation" period for the bait?
agrams
AG
My dad made some with some corn and oats. Stuck it in a 5 gallon bucket with water and let it sit in the attic for the summer for use the next year. That **** stunk so bad I made him open the bucket down wind. It would burn your hands too when it got on you.

Though when we would catch channel cats in areas we baited, they would gorge themselves so much you could see and feel the lumps of corn in their belly when you caught them.
Post removed:
by user
DUman08
AG
Yeah I have really good recipe but you have to have a strong stomach but it works you can use it for chum or make the texture harder and make bait just let me know if you want the recipe
SanAntoneAg
AG
Two of the best store bought baits:

Big Marv's Cheese Bait

Danny King's Punch Bait
confucius_ag
AG
http://www.catfish1.com/forums/f212/jtrews-prepared-baits-820.html
35chililights
AG
have a local butcher set aside a 5 gal bucket of blood a week before (or drain an animal or two yourself).

"pour" out the congealed mess on several cardboard sheets about 5 hours before you want to use it. slice into 1-2 inch cubes and let the sun dry it a tad so there is at least one side that is dry and leathery.

CTHOC. (catch the hell outta catfish).
MouthBQ98
AG
My best "stink baits" have always been these:

Fresh bloody chicken liver

Fresh shad or cut shad

Chunks of hot dog

I cannot explain it, but channel catfish generally LOVE hot dogs. It is the weirdest damn thing.
BRP
^ It's the assh*les
Post removed:
by user
Msgt USAF Ret
When I was a kid my dad would go to a chicken processing plant and get a 5 gal bucket full of guts. He would bury this in the ground for about a week. Man, we caught catfish with this---bait. You can do the same or as SanAntoneAg suggests, get Danny King's Punch Bait. It works about the same but not as messy. Just don't buy it at Wal Mart.
str8shot1000
AG
There's a guy in Stephenville who makes some to sell and I have been to his place once and seen a little of the process. He has 55 gallon drums and mixes cheese, blood, cut shad, fish guts...basically anything nastyand lets it sit in the heat for a long time. He has a tractor with a homemade "stirrer" on the back made from a post hole digger and he gives it a good stir every once in a while. You don't want to hang around his place, but it sure catches the cats.
It's called J-Pig's stink bait btw.

[This message has been edited by str8shot1000 (edited 5/25/2010 11:34a).]
wurmhole
AG
For you chicken liver users, have any of you tried nutria liver? We had great luck on them when I was a kid, they are a little tougher and hang together better. The alligator farm near where we launched the boat would buy nutria from people to feed the gators but they would cut out the livers first to sell as bait.
traveler1
AG
We made stink bait all the time when we where kids.. My grandpa was in charge. The trick is getting the right consistency. Basic ingredients include. Ground up perch, minnows, or shad; fish guts, blood and limburger cheese. The cheese is the hardest part to find. We used to buy it five pounds at a time out of LA. Mix well and scoop into mason jars. let sit for 6 weeks or so. use a sponge and a treble hook and hold on
jbturner24
What happened to plain ole Grasshoppers? I've caught a many of meals with nothing more than these.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.