Outdoors
Sponsored by

Galveston jetty fishing advice

45,577 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by Neches21
jbeaman88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Judging from various fishing reports it sounds like the Red and Black Drum are running around the jetties and a friend with a boat and I are considering trying it this weekend. What advice would those experienced have for us as far as good locations, baits, etc? Is the cut in the North Jetty a good spot? How about the ends? Live or cut bait? I assume fishing the bottom is the best tactic.
Ragoo
AG
take me

gold spoons

cut mullet/dead shrimp

fish about 10-15' away from the actual jetties
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Fish around the boat cut, or the end of the north jetty. Use cut mullett or whiting for redfish, and crabs for drum. If you go after the redfish, use the head of the whiting as bait. The Whiting can be caught by using peeled shrimp fished on the bottom. If the swells get bad, fish off the end of the Texas City dike.
RRAggie99
AG
Like he just said crab is key for big uglies right now. I'd highly recommend picking them up before you get to Galveston to launch(GYB etc will be not have any). You can get them at Fiesta. I've also done well in the past using live crawfish. For bulls.....cut mullet, whiting, shad or croaker are best. The water is only 6-9ft deep right at the north jetty boat cut. Move 500yds or so up and you'll be in 18-30ft of water. Good luck...
Blue Bell Ag
AG
Take me and I'll supply all the bait.!
Log
AG
Can you walk out on either the jetty or the Texas City Dike, or are they only accessible by boat? I'll be down that way this weekend and I'm looking for someplace to catch a few fish.
MouthBQ98
AG
I thought the TCD was still closed to all but foot traffic (and even then probably not officially).

FYI, you can catch drum off the beach from Bolivar north year-round.

Also, be kind. If you use light tackle on 30-50lb fish, you'll exhaust them by fighting them too long, and could kill them. Go heavier, and don't fight them for more than 15 minutes if you can help it.

Also, if you're fishing in 30 foot or more of water, vent your fish.

[This message has been edited by MouthBQ98 (edited 3/25/2010 10:30a).]
Mike Stulce
Has anyone fished The Lagoon in Galveston, or know if it's legal to even be in there? I've heard mixed reports.

I also understand there are alligators present, so I don't know if I would consider wading- but would fish by kayak. Any thoughts? Thanks,

-Mike Stulce

Champion Firearms - Aggieland's Premier Gun Source Since 1993!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I've never fished the Lagoon but know several people who have and do regularly. It's 100% legal to be in there, don't let anybody tell you different. I've also never heard of alligators in there though.

Kayak is probably best because the bottom is supposed to be really muddy.

Go onto texaskayakfisherman.com for more info. I'm on there under the same handle and so are a couple other posters on here.
Mike Stulce
Hello Finn Maccumhail,

Great info...thanks!

-Mike Stulce

Campfire Soul
Where is the Lagoon?
Mike Stulce
quote:
Where is the Lagoon?

Close to the Galveston jetties. Here is a link:

http://www.fishingworks.com/lakes/texas/galveston/galveston/the-lagoon/

-Mike Stulce

MouthBQ98
AG
You're talking about the East end of the Island ending in Apfel park. Yeah, you can fish it. You can yak it, too. The edges are MOSTLY oyster, and the bottom is mostly sand and oyster, but there is some silty sand and mud in places. I've fished it once when the wind was incredibly bad on the bay, and my brother caught a big fat sand trout out of it. The channel under the road at the end of it that used to open it up to the bay has been closed most of the time since the hurricane, so it has probably been fished down pretty hard.
Neches21
I used to fish the lagoon pretty regularly. It isnt as good as it used to be which is why I dont mind hot spotting it.
The pass has been sanded since the storm and it does not hold fish like it used to. Lots of trash in there as well.
In addition, the access is not as well hidden as it used to be so it gets a lot of pressure.
I've caught flounder and rat reds in there.
It might be worth a try.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.