Outdoors
Sponsored by

Mud tires on a 2WD? Will they help?

26,808 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by 35chililights
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm getting close to putting new tires on my 3/4 ton chevy. 16" steel rims. I'm looking at various AT tires and even some MT tires. I'm getting tired of getting stuck in pitifully small volumes of mud or sand. I'm going up from 245 75/16 to at least 265 75/16, that much I'm sure of.

I do spend most of my time on road, so mud tires aren't the most practical solution, but I've only got a 2WD with a limited slip to work with. I was hoping they'd give me a little more grab so I don't spin to a halt so easily.
Doc Hayworth
I ran with 750-16 on my 3/4 ton for the life of the truck.

They help in areas of little mud, but if you get into real boggy areas, they will go down just like any 4WD will. The will, however run louder, and definitely give you a good hum going down the highway.

All though, I did not get stuck as much in a 2WD as I do in a 4WD.
big ben
AG
Honestly I'd get some new street tires, and pick up some boggers for whenever your out on the trail, just for the rear. Would make for something very capable.

[This message has been edited by big ben (edited 10/6/2009 1:07p).]
p_bubel
quote:
All though, I did not get stuck as much in a 2WD as I do in a 4WD.
You're probably taking more of a chance now.
SWCBonfire
AG
Depending on the types of mud you are going through and how deep it is, 235/85 work surprizingly well and will give you a half inch of lift or so. They are also tough and cheap compared to wider tires.
MouthBQ98
AG
Mud and sand. Right now, I can literally get stuck in 4 inches of sticky slop because it fills the tread, my front wheels sink a little and don't want to move, and then my back wheels just free spin. I figured some mudders would fling the mud loose from the tread and get enough bite to get me moving more often.

Sand, well, I just sink in that because the truck is heavy, and the 245's are pretty narrow, and once I get some sand piled up in front of my front wheels, it's over...my back tires can't get enough bite to push me through or over that.
big ben
AG
Throw two of these on the rear with some cheapy wheels, and you shouldn't have any problems if you keep your speed up.

KALALL
AG
In my experience if you go fast enough you won't get stuck.
Chief77
AG
Do you have any weight in the bed of your pickup? If not I would suggest 300-500 lbs. that always helped me when I used to drive a 2wd pickup.
Yesterday
AG
Going to fast was often a problem when we were in High School. It was always funny watching all the trucks head out of town to a "dry weather road" after a hard rain during the school day. The next day all the guys would show up to school with their trucks covered in mud almost as if it was a trophy.
MouthBQ98
AG
Weight is the problem all over. This is a 3/4 ton long bed extended cab truck with the all iron 6.0L they produced in 2000 before they put in aluminum. It weighs a LOT.

Going fast doesn't work if you hit a little soft sand and your tires sink...

[This message has been edited by MouthBQ98 (edited 10/6/2009 1:53p).]
MouthBQ98
AG
Thinking about some of these:

WheelinAg
AG
Do you air your tires down? On a 16" rim you should be able to go down to 13 psi no problem.

Also, if you don't have enough power, boggers aren't going to help. They need lots of wheel speed to work well.
big ben
AG
He shouldn't have any probably turning two boggers with a 6.0L
WheelinAg
AG
Yeah, I guess a 6.0 won't have any problems, however, boggers can be sketchy in sand. They can dig south in a hurry.

The benefit of any swamper is they will throw fountains of softball size mud balls!

Edit: I would think a good all terrain would benefit you more than an extra set up tires. I've had friends have to switch tires at the trail head because their rig won't fit on a trailer with bigger tires. It's a real pain.

I think I'd rather have a receiver mounted winch.

[This message has been edited by KrebsATM02 (edited 10/6/2009 2:43p).]
35chililights
AG
you need more weight in the back. more ass.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.