Outdoors
Sponsored by

Looking for Deer Stand/Blind Plans

23,522 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by khkman22
Estufa83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking for anyone who might have plans to share for deer blinds or stands. I'd like to make one for myself but having nothing to go on. And I am working on a very fixed budget.

Suggestions welcome, Please?
RBoutdoors
what are wanting?

The cheapest route is to make a brush blind and sit on the ground.
Estufa83
I'm looking for plans for a box blind. I meant to imply that I canot afford to do expensive features like carpet and insulated walls.
bushman
AG
Carpet can be had by asking a flooring store for a scrap. They will usually give you a good sized piece for free. Foam insulation is cheap too, just takes a couple of sheets and it is well worth the cost.

SanAntoneAg
AG
Heck you can pick up a piece of carpet nearly anywhere, cut it to 4X4 and put it on your blind floor.

Unless you have access to decent scrap lumber, you're going to have to shell out some bucks anyway. You'll need plywood for your walls. Plus a frame. Some use 2X4s; I made my blind with 2X2s for the frame.

You'll probably want a slanted roof as well. Again, plywood will work but I added corrugated metal sheeting above it for obvious reasons.

I made the mistake of starting with a 4X4 piece of plywood for my floor. Not taking into account that standard 4 foot plywood walls wouldn't overlap. Start with some basic measurements and go from there.

Another idea: find a box blind that you like, take digital photos of it inside and out, take measurements and write them down, then start making your own and modify as needed.
USMC1995
how big do you want the blind to be? are you looking for something just for rifle or do you want to be able to bow hunt out of it too?

If you just want a 4x4 or 5x5 square, you can use PT 4x4 posts, some 2x4's and a couple sheets of plywood.

Another good question is what is your skill level for building a blind. Do you understand how to put cross bracing in place? Do you know how to build the platform? etc. If you are an experienced builder then it changes what info we need to provide for you to build a good solid blind.
Estufa83
I am looking for a rifle blind configuration for deer and pigs. I would say that my carpentry skills are 4 of 5. I understand cross bracing and structural requirements. I have built tree stands in Pa. as a kid. I was planning on using 1/4" to 1/2" plywood (I have 3- 4'x8' sheets already). For the top I had planned to use corrigated metal for the roof with a pitch to allow rain off and an under vent for some air flow. I was thinking of something like 4'x4' using a 2"x2" frame with 2"x4"s on the inside for the door jam. the floor will be a 2"x6" crossed braced floor (with plywood) slightly raised off the gound on 4 PT 4"x4"corner posts. I am looking for plans to build off of and possibly customize. Windows, mesh covering and item hooks are all possible if I can get measurments or plans. I just figured someone woould have some they might offer.
Illustrious Potentate
AG
Partical, or waffer, board would be sufficient for the walls. Probably cheaper than plywood.
Vero143
I found alot of ideas here:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18
tx4guns
AG
Use treated everything and galvanized hardware. You won't regret it.
bushman
AG
I don't have any plans on hand, but maybe this will help.

1. I build a base out of 2x6 legs with 2x6's making a perimeter around the top (to your floor size 4' x 4'?)
1.5. Add 2x4's to support the floor.
2. cut the floor and nail it to the base to make a platform. ( if it is going to be short you may not need bracing.)
3. I frame out each wall out of 2x2's so that when the front and sides meet they form a 2x4, leaving 3" overlap onto base.
4. you can screw these together and screw the bottom 2x2 to the base and it makes a pretty solid fit.
5. cut some roof braces front to back and screw them in.
6. nail/screw the tin down and you are in business.

I cut the front panel 6" taller than the back for fall and angle the side panels accordingly. On a 4x4, I cut 24" windows on the sides front to back to give me a place to lean back out of sight. ( I am not a can of 4 sided windows) I make a front window across the whole front, so only the corner braces obstruct my view. We make the windows two different ways: 1. buy some plexiglass and metal rail and make sliding windows, pulled up with a string. 2. cut them out of the plywood, frame them with 1x2's and hinge them at the top. (to be pulled up with string and used as a sun shade.)

The great thing about doing it this way is you can build it at home, disassemble it and reassemble it at your stand site with a cordless drill.

I don't have any pictures of a finished one, so I hope this helps.
CoastGuardAg00
quote:
I canot afford to do expensive features like carpet and insulated walls.

You can insulate the walls with flat pieces of styro foam, it's relatively cheap.
ghollow
AG
Check out this thread on 2cool. It is complete with pictures

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=203572&highlight=deer+blind
MasterAggie
AG
quote:
an under vent for some air flow.

A big fan of wasps and yellow jackets huh.
Cowtown Red
carpet and insulation will be the cheapest part of the blind.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Here are some plans that my dad created after we made a few for our lease. They are pretty easy to build and have worked great for the past 5 years! Everything is air tight and quiet. I really think the secret is to use wood glue on everything that you screw together. I've been in a few stands that would squeak like crazy when the wind would blow, but ours seem to stay very quiet and I believe it's because of the glue. As for the carpet, just search for a carpet store in your area and sneak over to their store in the evening and grab a few scrap pieces from their dumpster.

These are the measurements that we used while making our 4X4stands (I have this in a pdf format, so if you'd like I can email it to you). You could use these measurements to make a 4X8 stand as well. Basically, each side of the stand is framed with 2X2's. On two of the parallel sides, you want the 2X2's flush and on the other 2 parallel sides you want the 2X2's offset by 2 inches. Then when you bolt the two pieces together, they should be perfectly flush. Sorry if these take up a lot of room on here. I have never been too good at reducing picture sizes

[This message has been edited by AGGIE WH08P (edited 6/17/2009 10:48a).]
AGGIE WH08P
AG

[This message has been edited by AGGIE WH08P (edited 6/17/2009 10:50a).]
SanAntoneAg
AG
Those are the most comprehensive plans I've seen. Badass, and thanks for sharing.
Cowtown Red
that's sweet.
ghollow
AG
Nice, very nice. Similiar to what we build. We also add plexiglass flaps on the inside in addition to the wood flaps on the outside. We install them where they flip up so they are out of the way when open. We use strip insulation around the edges of the plexiglass to help seal off the wind. They really help on cold, windy days.
ghollow
AG

[This message has been edited by ghollow (edited 6/17/2009 1:04p).]
AGGIE WH08P
AG
email sent ghollow
ghollow
AG
Thanks!
Ol Jock 99
AG
same here who08.

oljock99@aggienetwork.com
Estufa83
AGGIE WH08P !

Thank You so much, those would be great.

Please send them to me at jake498@hotmail.com

Thanks to all of you as well.
ENG
AG
good posts but I have a related question.

would a 6x4 footprint be adequate for a two person blind?
bushman
AG
Eng, that is the dimension that I build for a 2 man blind. Plenty of room for 2 and 1 can hunt it if necessary.
ENG
AG
I want to take my daughter out a few times this coming season so I need to get one put together.
mdcaggie
Howdy AGGIE WH08P, I know it has been many years since you posted these deer blind pics, but I was hoping you still have that pdf of your plans. I've copied what I can from the TexAgs site, but I can't get the plans for the front to pull up from the original posting.

Also wanted to say great plans. I have read about a few people paying for sub-par plans online so I was thrilled to come across yours.

Thanks in advance. My son and I are on a new lease this year and the box blind is our last project to be woods ready!
O.G.
The carpet/insulation/sound baffling materials are fairly easy to get for free or close to it. Carpet companies are a good start, or find out when one of these luxury apartment complexes are going to change out their carpets. They do it every few years or so.
aggie_wes
AG
Can somebody repost the plans?
I'm interested in making a box blind for the lease I just got on.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
I'm not by my computer. I won't be able to send the PDF until Monday probably.

Here is the post from my 4x8 build. Exactly like the 4x4 but the front two panels 2x2 bump up flush together in the middle.

http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/1694834
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Also I just uploaded the front panel picture above for you to see now.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Aggie Wes-
do you still need the pdf file? Give me your email if you need one still

aggie_wes
AG
GOT THE EMAIL, THANKS
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.