Outdoors
Sponsored by

45-70 vs 300 WSM

13,439 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by AlexAggie
jag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Compare the results of normal ammo with the Hornaday LEVERevolution 45-70s and let us know if it's worth it.

[This message has been edited by jag09 (edited 4/15/2009 6:55p).]
SV
I agree almost completely with Puryear, the 30-06 while a boring round (to me) and I owned a Winchester Classic Boss in the caliber is more than enough for Elk. Since you have already bought your 1895 I believe you made the right choice and now it's time for the next rifle ..something flat and fast like a 270 or 7mm WSM.

Also, I ran the numbers on the recoil comparing my 1895SS 45-70 and my buddies Winchester Classic Super Grade 338 Win Mag and the 45-70 was still the ft-lb king but below 3" Mags in a Win 1300 Defender IIRC. He is still in denial but I used actual gun weight, highest fps load with the heaviest bullet in the 338 from Nosler's most recent manual.

If you want to check for yourself and have fun with a free program, Google and download Pointblank ballistic software. You can also simulate trajectories and change parameters on the fly.

[This message has been edited by SV (edited 4/15/2009 8:31p).]

[This message has been edited by SV (edited 4/15/2009 8:34p).]
ursusguy
AG
I can say from personal experience that under 200 yards, the .45-70 will knock the snot out of an elk pretty good.
AlexAggie
AG
hmm got in too late
I was going to throw my 0.02$ behind the .375H&H or .416 Rigby......that is if you just want a big damn gun that can still reach out and touch someone
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.