Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,272 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Strongweasel97 said:

Have loved this recipe for years. Made it yesterday again...for those that have eaters that want it a bit milder, gut and deseed two of the four serranos.
I did this with the milder batch I made for Thanksgiving and it was pretty well received. One or two thought it was too hot, though.
B-1 83
AG
Is it just me, or have the serranos lately been extra stout? I've been halving the number lately and still ended up with "crowd unfriendly" results.
polksalet12345
Did it with black beans. Was awesome.
All your base
RCR06
AG
I always do 2 serranos and 2 jalapenos. When I used to do all serranos occasionally I would end up with a batch that was almost too hot to eat.
txags92
AG
B-1 83 said:

Is it just me, or have the serranos lately been extra stout? I've been halving the number lately and still ended up with "crowd unfriendly" results.

It is a giant pot of beans. Sooner or later it is going to be "crowd unfriendly" no matter what you do to it...
Southlake Ag
AG
Ttt
eric76
AG
B-1 83 said:

I've definitely had a large variance with the heat. I've made some that was so mild that it wasn't very good. And some that was so hot that one spoonful would start me sweating.

The hotter of my two batches I made for Thanksgiving (four serranos including seeds) pretty much had to be mixed with the milder (four serranos but seeds from only two serranos). Some thought the milder was too hot. Nobody would eat the hotter but me.
Southlake Ag
AG
Ttt
Burn-It
AG
Just made B1's beans, but added twice or maybe three times the bacon. The 4 serrano's definitely makes it hotter than some of my in-laws liked. It will serve over 30+ servings, so keep that in mind if you follow the recipe as-is. The clamato turns this into more of a charro recipe, so if you want them thicker, maybe reduce the clamato in half or take it out completely or drain the cans of beans before adding the into the bacon/onion mixture. The clamato does add to the flavor and I like heat, but cutting these down next time.
AKA 13-0
B-1 83
AG
Everybody fess up - didn't you get horrified looks from those watching when you whipped out the canned pintos?
lurker76
B-1 83 said:

Everybody fess up - didn't you get horrified looks from those watching when you whipped out the canned pintos?
The first time I read this recipe, I told my wife, "no way I'd make these beans. It uses canned beans". After reading through all of the great reviews, we made it at home for ourselves so no one would know about it. Now, we've made it many times for friends and family and proudly share the recipe, giving full credit to you B-1. In fact we made a pot of them for her brothers on Wednesday night in Rockport. We usually seed the Serranos and the heat is just right. As always, they were a huge hit.
I can't thank you enough for sharing it with us.
HumbleAg04
AG
B-1 83 said:

Yes. Which makes the **** eating grin I give them when they go back for seconds and thirds so much more rewarding.
ILikeTacos
AG
Burn-It said:

Just made B1's beans, but added twice or maybe three times the bacon. The 4 serrano's definitely makes it hotter than some of my in-laws liked. It will serve over 30+ servings, so keep that in mind if you follow the recipe as-is. The clamato turns this into more of a charro recipe, so if you want them thicker, maybe reduce the clamato in half or take it out completely or drain the cans of beans before adding the into the bacon/onion mixture. The clamato does add to the flavor and I like heat, but cutting these down next time.
Always rinse and drain the beans. If you want it thicker then take your potato smash and push it through the pot 10x.

txags92
AG
We drain, but don't rinse the beans and it comes out fine.
Blanco Ag
AG
Tried this recipe for the first time last night. I'll admit I was skeptical, even after seeing the rave reviews.

Best pintos I've ever made.
RCR06
AG
For a long time I thought the clamato was the key because I dont know anyone that normally uses clamato in their beans. After seeing so many people say they used zing zang or some other tomato juice the clamato might not be what makes it.
B-1 83
AG
RCR06 said:

For a long time I thought the clamato was the key because I dont know anyone that normally uses clamato in their beans. After seeing so many people say they used zing zang or some other tomato juice the clamato might not be what makes it.
To each, his own. It does add a unique flavor.
shaynew1
AG
I like the Clamato. I have used the cans but I like to soak and cook muh beans and do it that way most of them time. I also cube up salt pork instead of bacon.
RCR06
AG
I guess I should have said I always use clamato. My point was people that have said they used other tomato juice seem to like it just as much.
txags92
AG
We made a hybrid batch today using 3 smaller cans of black eyed peas and 1 big can of pintos. We added a pound of browned chorizo and 5 strips of bacon. Absolutely delicious!
polksalet12345
Went continental and made it stock with canned beans.
All your base
Noblemen06
AG
B-1 83 said:

Every single person that I have made this for gets thrown by that and the Clamato - and asks for the recipe after several servings they can't seem to stop themselves from. My mom, a scratch cook, abandoned her own bean recipe for yours!
B-1 83
AG
Noblemen06 said:

B-1 83 said:

Every single person that I have made this for gets thrown by that and the Clamato - and asks for the recipe after several servings they can't seem to stop themselves from. My mom, a scratch cook, abandoned her own bean recipe for yours!
JYDog90
AG
I'm cooking them for a graduation party for a friend and there will be about 40 folks there. How would you scale this recipe?

It seems like so many people have shellfish allergies now so I'm going to opt out of the Clamato this time and just use the normal stuff.
Formerly Willy Wonka
khkman22
AG
willie wonka said:

I'm cooking them for a graduation party for a friend and there will be about 40 folks there. How would you scale this recipe?

It seems like so many people have shellfish allergies now so I'm going to opt out of the Clamato this time and just use the normal stuff.
Depends. How many are Oompa Loompas?
Old RV Ag
AG
willie wonka said:

Oh just make it as given. Just tell everyone it's a BYOE if they have one.

BYOE = Bring Your Own Epipen
HumbleAg04
AG
Zing zang is a good clamato replacement. One of my kiddos hs shellfish allergy so always so it.
B-1 83
AG
X5
SJEAg
AG
Anyone have photos of an end product?

Also - my wife and one kid have zero heat tolerance. Like mild rotel sets their mouths on fire...gotta be something weird genetically on her side of the family. Anyway, what's the best way to get some flavor of peppers without heat? Uncut jalapenos and remove them in the end?

khkman22
AG
SJEAg said:

Anyone have photos of an end product?

Also - my wife and one kid have zero heat tolerance. Like mild rotel sets their mouths on fire...gotta be something weird genetically on her side of the family. Anyway, what's the best way to get some flavor of peppers without heat? Uncut jalapenos and remove them in the end?

I put 2 or 4 jalapenos with seeds removed and don't think there's much heat at all. You can probably start with 2 and see how that works.
JYDog90
AG
Ok, so I donated for our school auction a bbq dinner with brisket, sausage, potato salad and beans. I used B-1 83's recipe. And I cooked it yesterday.

Here's the text I woke up to this morning:

Quote:

Everything was great John. But.... the beans turned out to be the BIG hit. A number of folks were going on and on about how good and flavorful they were. They were awesome.

Another satisfied customer.
barney94
AG
I love these beans with BBQ. Adds a different flavor profile to the meal than say Franklin's beans with the brisket in them. I live in the Denver area and a few weeks ago I did a brisket, a bunch of Slovacek sausage, and these beans for the neighbors and they all went nuts over it.
aggiedata
AG
Our first time this weekend making B-1 83 beans. Wow. They were great and they packed quite a punch. We like it but we may have to go seedless for a larger group.

The Fixins

Old RV Ag
AG
aggiedata said:

Our first time this weekend making B-1 83 beans. Wow. They were great and they packed quite a punch. We like it but we may have to go seedless for a larger group.

The Fixins

Canned pinto beans you can get at Walmart but Whole Foods bacon? Were the tomatoes and onions Whole Foods "organic?"

Just joking with you! I am going try this recipe soon hopefully. They sound great and get such great reviews.
aggiedata
AG
Try it! use Old Roy bacon if you have to

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.