Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,200 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't make these, but do have a pot of beans on for dinner tonight. Can't wait. Coupled with the pork shoulder I smoked on Friday, we'll be eating good this week.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
Stormchaser
AG
Had 'em last night with ribs and a corn custard from last year's garden. I think they get better every time we cook them.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Making a batch right now to take to Christmas at my MIL's this evening. Unfortunately, I have to substitute jalapeos for the serranos because they can't take heat over there. I can usually get my MIL to flip me off when I ask her what it was like growing up in Wisconsin (even though she was born in San Antonio & grew up south of Highway 90.)

Thanks for the recipe B-1 and Merry Christmas TexAgs Outdoor Board.
Scan Man
AG
Made the beans tonight for Christmas Eve (with tamales), they were every bit as good as advertised. Will make again.
aggie orbitalwelder
I made a pot this morning sub in spicy v8 for calmato
Al Bula
AG
Made it again tonight. I had to look up this thread again because I didn't pay attention to the peppers. I threw in 4 Serranos as I guess I have normally have because that's what the recipe calls for but it blew my wife and mother out of the water.

Tasted fine to me.
B-1 83
AG
Serranos are like a box of chocolates.....
plowboy1065
S
B-1 83 said:

Serranos are like a box of chocolates.....

You never know what you're truly going to get till they exit your butt
85Photon
AG
Exceptable substitions for serrano? Jalapeno? Chipotle?
RCR06
AG
I usually do two Serranos and two jalapenos. I try and keep the same number of peppers, but will sub jalapenos for serranos.
polksalet12345
My wife is going through chemo for second time for a brain tumor. So to offset some of the costs I've decided to work my way through all the pinto recipes and variations in this thread. I made the B1 recipe a couple times and putting Fido on here at midnight. It's a good thing I have this resource, I have a 6-4ish 240ish high school sophomore and he eats like a mongol horde.
All your base
AustinCountyAg
Prayers for your family. **** cancer
Aggie_3
CajunAggie
AG
Quote:

Prayers for your family.
Ditto. I pray that your wife makes a full recovery.
B-1 83
AG
polksalet12345 said:

My wife is going through chemo for second time for a brain tumor. So to offset some of the costs I've decided to work my way through all the pinto recipes and variations in this thread. I made the B1 recipe a couple times and putting Fido on here at midnight. It's a good thing I have this resource, I have a 6-4ish 240ish high school sophomore and he eats like a mongol horde.
Never forget - you are your wife's best advocate. Do your research, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Www.cancergrace.org
gigemJTH12
AG
maroonblood08 said:

A "recipe" for canned beans? Come on guys, really?

Pulled up the recipe for this weekend. This post always cracks me up
polksalet12345
I'm starting to have a real problem with Clamato. Maybe it's the hot weather making me crave salt but I could spend $10 a day on the stuff.
All your base
Thunder18
AG
Going to make these tomorrow w/ AC's Jerk Chicken.
Thunder18
AG
Update: made these tonight per the original recipe on page one along with the Jerk Chicken recipe that Aggie Chemist posted a few years ago...holy smokes everything was great and complimented eachother perfectly. Next time I will do the bacon before the onion, but besides that I have no complaints whatsoever. Great recipe B-1
gigemJTH12
AG
I do the bacon and onion in separate pans and then combine everything.

can you link me to the jerk chicken?
Thunder18
AG
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/616283
HumbleAg04
AG
Just cooked this (Zing Zang instead of clamato for allergy concerns) for a bunch of Navy pilots and their families in Hawaii. Had to text everyone the recipe while giving credit to the thread. The legend grows.
SoTxAg
AG
Latest batch was for family gathering outside Leakey. Big hit once again.
Seriously77
For 1 year all I ate for lunch was a bowl of pinto beans cooked slowly N a crockpot.
Lost 20 lbs.

Also the gas caused me to lose a lot of friends, farted all the time, elevator fart bombs when placed properly, can be a office toot..err....hoot.
aggieduke
BQ04
AG
Thread title is not a lie.
Sticks&Stones
AG
Alright...On the rare occasion that I use a recipe, I follow it exactly, so that I can scoff at the author and know what to change the next time I make it. That way I can try to pass off the dish as my own.

I tried this recipe just as written and it is absolutely fantastic...they will now be known in my house as B-1 Beans.

Thanks for sharing!
aggieband 83
AG
The Methodist churches of Louise & Ganado share a pastor. Once a year we get together for a joint worship service at the old Brackenridge church at Lake Texana. A covered dish meal follows at the outdoor pavillion. Today was the service & meal. Once again, I took B-1's beans to the meal & once again I brought home an empty bowl. I also made a double batch of cornbread in my #10 cast iron skillet. Those beans poured on top of the cornbread was my dessert!

Once again, Thank You for the recipe!
AustinCountyAg
Bump. Will have a pot going on later for both the Aggies and the Astros!
dixichkn
AG
Made these for FFB draft in August and they turned out really good, so now making a huge pot for a HS reunion. I will concur that for whatever reason, they are absolutely better the second day. Just needs time to meld I guess. Took a little bit of the cilantro out of mine, added some garlic salt and cumin and just a little bit of Meyer's BBQ sauce to give a little bit of black pepper and smoky flavor to it and they were phenomenal. Thanks B1 you are the man!
Strongweasel97
AG
Have loved this recipe for years. Made it yesterday again...for those that have eaters that want it a bit milder, gut and deseed two of the four serranos.
eric76
AG
I was asked to make some of these beans for our Thanksgiving Dinner again this year.

I never know how many people are going to show up so I might need to double everything.
lurker76
Might as well. They're pretty good even a couple of days later.
eric76
AG
I got enough ingredients to make two separate batches. I'm tempted to make two separate batches tonight, store them in the refrigerator overnight, and heat whichever one is milder tomorrow. Most of the people there aren't interested in them if they are really hot.

If they are both about the same, I can mix them together. If one is significantly milder, then I can mix anything left over from Thanksgiving Dinner with the hotter batch.

Edit to add:

It's a good thing that I did two batches. I only used the seeds of two of the four peppers in one batch and it turned out okay. The one with the seeds of all four peppers is really hot. I had about half of the milder batch left over from lunch so I mixed a bowl for supper with equal parts of each batch to try to make it a little less hot and the results are still incredibly hot.
Flying Crowbar
AG
I don't venture over to this board very often, but I am glad I did after finding this thread.
We tried B1-83's recipe a couple of nights ago, and they are definitely as good as advertised. We stripped the seed out of the serranos based on some of the recommendations, and I'm glad we did. The heat was just right for our tastes.
I'm looking forward tor trying some of the variations posted here, too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.