Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,219 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
Tx-Ag2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie_3 said:

Anyone want to make these with Ghost peppers

I've tried it with Habenero's before and it was amazing...

If I had easy access to ghost peppers I would probably do something stupid like adding them to the recipe.
Aggie_3
The Phoenix saloon here in New Braunfels makes ghost pepper chili I still haven't brought myself to try it
gigemJTH12
AG
showed up to family Memorial day yesterday with a pot.

Endless compliments every time.

This recipe is the greatest thing ever.
Tursiops93
AG
Aggie_3 said:

The Phoenix saloon here in New Braunfels makes ghost pepper chili I still haven't brought myself to try it
I live in the area too. Heard different things about Phoenix Saloon. Is it good?
Aggie_3
Tursiops93 said:

Aggie_3 said:

I live in the area too. Heard different things about Phoenix Saloon. Is it good?

Not sure haven't checked it out I think happy hour is there next for Comal county

Yep just checked this Thursday Aggie happy hour Phoenix saloon
CrockerCock00
AG
Something we like to do with leftovers is to add some taco meat the mix, and then slap that on some flour tortillas with a little cheese. Makes a damn tasty chili cheese burrito.
ChampsAg
We discovered the Phoenix on our last trip over there. Great food and the service was great. Had a "home" feel to it for us.

Tried the chili but not the ghost pepper chili. Burger was on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives I believe
ChampsAg
Making them today
Ezra Brooks
AG
Took me to page 12 yesterday to find this thread

My normal recipe is close enough to this for me.
Ag_07
AG
Bump for the best thread ever on TA.

Making these today with Oaxcan-style baby backs and honey guava bbq sauce.
strohag
AG
MAde these again a few weeks ago. Added a ring of chopped up venison sausage. Wife loved them even more. We made a pot of rice and will make this a complete meal with some corn bread.
CSTXAg92
AG
Pinto bean recipe bookmarked.
3rdGenAg05
AG
Had them for the first time last weekend. Pretty awesome. Making them again today.
aggieband 83
AG
Made another batch for the covered dish dinner held after church. Everytime I bring it, the pot is empty when I go home. It is to the point now that I am asked "Are you going to bring your beans again?"

Thanks for posting the recipe. It is a hit again & again!
AgTech88
AG
Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) twists on the recipe? I know the best part of this recipe is it is Quick/Easy - but made some Black Eye's from dry beans in 30 minutes yesterday. Just curious if anyone has played around with the new version of our Grandmothers pressure cooker and any of these bean recipes....
JFTR - I have no idea how this magic works. Dry bean to done in 1/2 hour???
eric76
AG
rsmithtesiusa said:

Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) twists on the recipe? I know the best part of this recipe is it is Quick/Easy - but made some Black Eye's from dry beans in 30 minutes yesterday. Just curious if anyone has played around with the new version of our Grandmothers pressure cooker and any of these bean recipes....
JFTR - I have no idea how this magic works. Dry bean to done in 1/2 hour???
I've always heard that you have to be real careful cooking beans in a pressure cooker because it can clog up the pressure release and build up enormous pressures. A relative of mine died from very extensive burns when she was a little girl when a pressure cooker exploded. She didn't survive to the next day. My mother never would use pressure cookers because of that.

I assume that today's electric pressure cookers can detect the over-pressure and shut off the heating elements.

As far as how they work, by raising the pressure, they raise the boiling point of water, thereby reducing the cooking time of the beans.

Depending on where you live, you might notice that cooking times can differ quite a bit depending on where you live because of the altitude. A general rule of thumb is that for every 500 foot increase in elevation the boiling point of water decreases by about 1 degree Fahrenheit. For example, it takes longer to cook spaghetti or to boil potatoes in the Texas Panhandle than along the Gulf Coast. I've read of someone trying to boil a potato on Pike's Peak and they concluded that it might take all night because of the lower temperature of the boiling water.

You can raise the boiling point a bit by adding salt to the water. A fully saturated brine should boil about 10 F higher than plain water.
snizzler22
AG
This recipe is fantastic. I love to mix it in with scrambled eggs and avocado for a great breakfast.
polksalet12345
Bean nirvana bout to go down here.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Gonna make a batch tomorrow. Can't wait.
polksalet12345
These are opulence.
GrapevineAg
AG
Alright, I've seen this thread pop-up over the years and I finally made a pot last night. They are really good. They taste even better the 2nd day. My wife loves it, and even took a serving to give to a friend. So glad I got around to trying these - it was a quick pot of beans on a cold and wet evening. Thank you, OP!

I cut back on the peppers (used 1 large jalapeo, no seeds) because the others in my family don't like 'em. It definitely needs more than what I put in there. I'm not a huge fan of Clamato, but it does add flavor - maybe next time I'll cut it with some beer.
WSCTR
TxAg20
AG
My wife and I have made them a few times. The 1st time with 4 serrano peppers as sated in the recipe and they were great. The next time they were uncomfortably spicy with 4 serrano peppers. My wife has tried removing seeds from 1/2 the peppers, all the peppers, 3 peppers with seeds, then 3 without seeds, and finally 2 whole peppers. The last pot with 2 whole peppers seems to be just right. I'm not sure what's going on with the serrano peppers out here, but they're getting hotter over time. 4 whole serrano peppers now is just food texture and fire. We've grown up on tex-mex so we're not strangers to spicy food.
HumbleAg04
AG
Substituting Clamato with ZigZang due to allergy concerns and will seed all Seranos for a mixed crowd but leave the seeds in 2-3 for regular crowd.

Have had 4 with seeds be perfect or way too hot for people up so err on the side of caution.
strohag
AG
Forgot Clamato at the store the other day and actually used ZingZang instead. Turned out well.
ElephantRider
AG
Made these last night, and holy hell were they good. My wife was convinced she wasn't going to like them (due to the canned beans), but I think she liked them even more than I did. Used two serranos and a whole jalapeno to keep the heat down for her.
Red Krow
We have made these a bunch of times. The beans are awesome. I was looking up the recipe cause I'm making some today. Just thought I give my thumbs up finally.
B-1 83
AG
TxAg20 said:

My wife and I have made them a few times. The 1st time with 4 serrano peppers as sated in the recipe and they were great. The next time they were uncomfortably spicy with 4 serrano peppers. My wife has tried removing seeds from 1/2 the peppers, all the peppers, 3 peppers with seeds, then 3 without seeds, and finally 2 whole peppers. The last pot with 2 whole peppers seems to be just right. I'm not sure what's going on with the serrano peppers out here, but they're getting hotter over time. 4 whole serrano peppers now is just food texture and fire. We've grown up on tex-mex so we're not strangers to spicy food.
Serranos are like a box of chocolates......

I've found that if I seed them, then saut with the bacon/onion mixture it takes some heat out and gives them a better flavor.
eric76
AG
I made some to take to Thanksgiving Dinner at my niece's house. They went over real well.

Usually they end up really hot. One time they ended up so mild that I could hardly eat them.

This time they had a nice balance. I would have liked hotter, but most there wouldn't have liked them. They were very flavorful with some heat but not overwhelming.
plowboy1065
S
Bumping this so I can remember what to get at the store to try out for the first time
polksalet12345
Having soup potluck for Christmas. I'm counter punching with the alpha bean.
panhandlefarmer
AG
For you people talking about taking the seeds out to cut down on the heat. The seeds aren't the hot part. It is the spongy placenta material they are connected to that contains the capsaicin. If you remove the seeds and not the spongy placenta material, the pepper will still be hot. If the seeds are hot it is just because of oil coming off the placenta due to proximity. Just trying to help.
PrestigeWW
AG
Made my 4th batch today. Absolutely nails. Great recipe.
RCR06
AG
I think when people talk about removing the seeds they mean all of the inner part or at least I do.
B-1 83
AG
Pretty hard to do one and not the other - especially when scraping with a small spoon like I do.
3rdGeneration08
AG
About to make a pot. This is probably my 10th time to make them and I still can't believe how awesome they are!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.