Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,202 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
sanitariex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
The rest of the recipe sounds good

Glad you approve!
proc
AG
Also brought them to a Super Bowl party. I had to search for the thread yesterday for the recipe, since it had been awhile since I had done them. Now here it is at the top again.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
I've made the original recipe a few times. A couple of days ago I decided to change it up a bit. I'm not sure if they are considered beans anymore.... But I added sausage, bacon and hamburger meat. Then I top each bowl with some white rice. Its almost a cross between gumbo and chili . Anyways it's good
Max06
AG
I'm probably the last one to get on this bandwagon, but I'm going to make these next weekend.

Was there ever a conclusion as to what size can we are talking about?

There are four options: 16oz, 27oz, 53oz, 110oz
NC2001
AG
quote:
I'm probably the last one to get on this bandwagon, but I'm going to make these next weekend.

Was there ever a conclusion as to what size can we are talking about?

There are four options: 16oz, 27oz, 53oz, 110oz
I've always used the 53oz. cans.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
I've used 1 - 53 oz can or 2 - 27 oz cans per batch.
Max06
AG
Excellent.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
I've used 1 - 53 oz can or 2 - 27 oz cans per batch.
This
HumbleAg04
AG
So I want to make this but my son has a shellfish allergy which rules out the clamato... Would it be wrong to use ZingZang as the replacement? Rotel as others have done? Thoughts?
B-1 83
AG
quote:
So I want to make this but my son has a shellfish allergy which rules out the clamato... Would it be wrong to use ZingZang as the replacement? Rotel as others have done? Thoughts?
Zing Zang probably wouldn't screw it up.......too bad. NO ROTEL!
longeryak
quote:

Pulled up this recipe for a BBQ this weekend. With food allergies in the family I read the Clamato label. MSG is the fourth ingredient. Corn syrup was third. No wonder everyone loves this recipe so much. It is right out of big food's palate pleasers playbook.
Post removed:
by user
ursusguy
AG
But tastes dann good and cranked out in 30 minutes if you want.
farmer2010
AG
quote:
has anyone made this recipe with non canned beans? I would like to make a batch this weekend with some regular ole pinto beans, any tips?

I've made it several times with plain old pintos. They're good, but never as good as with canned beans.
Post removed:
by user
BlueMiles
AG
I've used dry pinto and also dry black beans another time. I don't recall how much I used, but your plan sounds reasonable. I'd soak the beans, then drain off that water.
Post removed:
by user
Max06
AG
If you're going to start with dry beans, go ahead and make borrachos.

1 lb pintos (pre-soaked)
1 small white onion
2 fresh jalapenos or serranos
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 small roma tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1-2 ham hocks or bacon ends
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin
12 ounces chicken stock or water
12 ounces dark beer

Sautee vegetables in bacon drippings, add remaining ingredients and simmer for ~2hr until beans are tender. I usually put them in the crockpot on low in the morning & they're ready by lunch.. Better the next day.
ellebee
I'll be making these for my party this weekend. Everyone loves them.
HumbleAg04
AG
Just rocked a modified version today. Due to a family member's shell fish allergy I subbed Clamato with Zing Zang and also added 2 cloves of garlic... Because garlic.

Was awesome. Too spicy for the unwashed masses so would do 1 cup Zing Zang and 1 cup V8 for public consumption going forward. My Dad's head was sweating as he went for 3rds claiming "best beans I've ever had."

Did not dissappoint even with 7 years of build up on this thread.
ConroeAg
Dumb question that may have been addressed already--

Does the bacon stay in whole slices or is it chopped at all? Just wondering...
FSGuide
Bacon = Chopped in mine. I cut it up before cooking it.
SoTxAg
AG
I also cut bacon up before the cook.
Have made these over a dozen times now with very slight deviations as far as heat and spice. Delivers everytime.
Risky101
S
quote:
I also cut bacon up before the cook.
Have made these over a dozen times now with very slight deviations as far as heat and spice. Delivers everytime.

Same here, I usually just cut them up in squares to appease my ocd. And yes, I've also made them dozens of times. Will likely throw some chicken breasts in the crock pot in the morning, shred them up and then throw it all in the pot together with some black beans instead of pintos to make some awesome lazy tacos.
Post removed:
by user
Risky101
S
Next time snacks = cucumber and celery. Then people will have to eat the good stuff or go home hungry.
Post removed:
by user
agz win
AG
Zing Zang...great idea!
Average Joe
AG
I almost got lynched yesterday at the in-laws by not making enough. I've had to double the recipe for about 25 people. My cast iron isn't big enough to make more, so good reason to buy a bigger one.

I use hatch green chili sausage diced up instead of bacon and add diced potatoes half way through. I also make rice if people want it over rice.
HumbleAg04
AG
quote:
Zing Zang...great idea!

It worked well but be mindful of the spice with the serranos. Was perfect for me but I love spicy food.
BCO07
AG
First swing at these, have a pot going right now. Taste amazing.
AustinAgChef
quote:
quote:

Pulled up this recipe for a BBQ this weekend. With food allergies in the family I read the Clamato label. MSG is the fourth ingredient. Corn syrup was third. No wonder everyone loves this recipe so much. It is right out of big food's palate pleasers playbook.

Oh the HUMANITY!!
HTownAg98
savagesix83
AG

Bump for newbie
Max Power
AG
Made an adjusted version of these last week. I went with half pinto and half black beans, added garlic, come chili powder and substituted a roasted poblano for one of the serranos.

Outstanding

Can't wait for winter, these will be a staple, but with some sausage and rice to go with it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.