Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,243 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bout to run to the store get the ingredients. Really excited to try this out. Will update tonight

EDIT:

thank you so much for this recipe. It was amazing. Never knew beans could be so flavorful. Though my batch did come out considerably saltier than I was expecting. I didn't add any salt so pretty sure it's coming from the Clamato. Any ideas how to lessen that? Could be the bacon too now that I think about it. I used 9 slices because....ya know...bacon. Either way it was delicious and I don't think I can ever go back to the way I used to make them.
AMF 2 AMC
AG
I've made three batches now. Not one followed B1-83's recipe exactly, but they were all very good.

First two batch used up a 110 oz can of store brand pintos because that's all they had. Batch 3 used Bush pintos, and they were much better.

For batch 1, I used spicy Clamato (again, that's all they had). Plenty hot with 4 serranos, but very good flavor.

For batch 2, I used a small can of tomato paste with enough water to make two cups. I added salt, celery salt and fish sauce. Too tomatoey, but good.

For batch 3, I used a small can of tomato sauce, added water for volume, salt, celery salt and fish sauce as before. Only other change were 2 roasted poblanos for the serranos. Way better, but not quite the same.

The Clamato does make a difference. My guess is it adds a LOT of salt. I added more salt to batch 3 than batch 2 and it helped.

The best part of this recipe is that you can really change it and it still works. I'm going to continue making it, toying with it, and eating the results!
ChampsAg
Made these tonight. WOW! Even the kids loved them.
TshirtVulture
woohoo, wife did make em again already and with these last two batches I also was thinking that they do get better with a day or two on them
ursusguy
AG
So much for lunch this week. My wife happily allowed take home containers. I ended up with about 1/2 cup left.
Eliminatus
AG
quote:
So much for lunch this week. My wife happily allowed take home containers. I ended up with about 1/2 cup left.

I'm not saying I condone domestic violence.......but I understand it.
BlueMiles
AG
You'll have much more than 1/2 cup when you make a new batch.
TshirtVulture
quote:

Dang courtesy and hospitality! Sounds like some stunt my wife would pull
AustinCountyAg
I'm giving these beans a try later but I do not have clamato. Will rotell work in its place?
ItsA&InotA&M
quote:
I'm giving these beans a try later but I do not have clamato. Will rotell work in its place?
No, rotel will not work, needs clamato.

I made some yesterday to eat with boudin sausage. Will eat the leftovers tonight with a steak.
AquaAg1984
AG
The clamato adds a tangy quality. Also contains MSG which may contribute to the umami effect.
AustinCountyAg
So after following the recipe exact I was expecting the best ever. Instead I got pretty dang good. The four peppers were too hot for the wife. I found the heat to be perfect for me but if the wife ain't happy, nobody's happy. Next time I will prolly go with two peppers instead of four. All in all they were good. Reminded me of the beans you would get at your local mom and pop Mexican joint
ursusguy
AG
Just throw in 3-4 whole jalapenos without cut them, plenty of pepper flavor without the heat.
LewisChilds
AG
I've done these so many times with multiple varieties and they never fail to impress. This weekend I swapped the tomatoes and peppers for two cans of rotel. Still awesome.
Corps_Ag12
AG
I've used rotell diced tomatoes & chopped, canned jalapeos in place of the seranos and tomatoes. Still diced an onion & tossed in some parsley.

Still comes out amazing.
rhoswen
AG
Anyone done these in a crock pot? I was thinking just use real pintos instead of canned and keep everything else the same.
Ornlu
AG
quote:
Anyone done these in a crock pot? I was thinking just use real pintos instead of canned and keep everything else the same.
Why in the ***** would you do that? This only takes about 30 minutes, making it way less work on the stove. And you can't crisp the bacon in a crockpot, so you end up with unrendured bits of jellyness instead of deliciousness.

I'm gonna do a triple batch for the bammer game this weekend. Perfect tailgate fair.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
quote:
Why in the ***** would you do that? This only takes about 30 minutes, making it way less work on the stove. And you can't crisp the bacon in a crockpot, so you end up with unrendured bits of jellyness instead of deliciousness.

I'm gonna do a triple batch for the bammer game this weekend. Perfect tailgate fair.
Just tell everybody where you got 'em.
Ornlu
AG
Always do. Every time, somebody goes "Man these are awesome, what's the secret?" I tell em it's the Texags Beans w/ Clamato Juice recipe. Usually somebody goes "yea I keep seeing that on there, but I just couldn't bring myself to try the clamato. Guess I should take the leap."

You're a culinary legend B-1 83.
rhoswen
AG
Because I'm taking them to school, that's why. I can prep the ingredients the night before, cook beans overnight, then toss everything else in with them before I leave, or before I serve.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
Because I'm taking them to school, that's why. I can prep the ingredients the night before, cook beans overnight, then toss everything else in with them before I leave, or before I serve.
That just might work.
HarleySpoon
AG
bumped onto my watchlist!
eric76
AG
quote:
Always do. Every time, somebody goes "Man these are awesome, what's the secret?" I tell em it's the Texags Beans w/ Clamato Juice recipe. Usually somebody goes "yea I keep seeing that on there, but I just couldn't bring myself to try the clamato. Guess I should take the leap."

Several people have told me that they aren't interested in cooking them because of the clamato juice.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
quote:

Several people have told me that they aren't interested in cooking them because of the clamato juice.
Look at the first couple of pages of the thread.....I have converted many believers! Hallelujah! Praise be to the Clamato juice!
Texker
AG
I've yet to make them with Clamato. They are awesome regardless.
Ogre09
AG
quote:

You have yet to truly live!
Ogre09
AG
quote:
The clamato adds a tangy quality. Also contains MSG which may contribute to the umami effect.

And it's the primary source for salt in this recipe.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
quote:

You have yet to truly live!
"No Clamato" = "blue balls" for this recipe.
BQRyno
AG
Wife is allergic to seafood. No Clamato for me
eric76
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Look at the first couple of pages of the thread.....I have converted many believers! Hallelujah! Praise be to the Clamato juice!
Hmmm. I'd forgotten that I had posted on the first page. Naturally, my post was completely wrong -- clamato juice is readily available here.

I hadn't noticed the rotel replacement option for clamato juice.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
Wife is allergic to seafood. No Clamato for me
You get a pass. My mom carried an epipen (sp?) for just that reason.
agwarrior
AG
I finally tried the recipe last night and followed it 100%. It was good, but I wish I would've read through the entire thread and made a few adjustments. I shouldve browned the bacon before the onion and added it back later. I also shouldve cooked the onions and peppers together(it was too hot for the wife). Mine also needed some salt after sampling a bowl. All things considered, I will definitely cook these again!
DiskoTroop
Been reading this thread since the beginning. Finally making them tonight. Will post results... Adding some cut up ham steak too...
DiskoTroop
It's good...

MarineAggie95
AG
The beans are good and have been making beans for a very very long time. Did find that they were better the next day. Growing up a standard meal once or twice a month was a fresh pot of beans and homemade corn bread. Come to think of it that is still standard to this day with leftovers being eaten for dinner or lunches the rest of the week. My wife feels I am always making too big of a batch each time. They never go to waste thougjh.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.