Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,179 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
Hwy30East
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Finally, I bought all the ingredients tonight and will be making these tomorrow. We'll see how they go over with the family.
These were outstanding! My wife wants me to make them again next weekend for a family gathering on her side of the family.

I made these at my mothers house today and everyone loved them. I followed the recipe to the letter, but we were cooking some other things, and in the middle of me making these we threw in a couple of cloves of minced garlic, and about a half cup of Tasso (Cajun Smoked ham, that's used for spice).

It has to be the clamato that sets these beans apart from others I've made. They're great!
lurker76
B1,
Many thanks for posting this recipe. We just finished dinner with what is probably the fourth batch I've made since I found the thread last year. These are by far the best pinto's we've ever eaten. Getting away from soaking beans over night then having a pot on simmer all day to make sure they're cooked through is a blessing.
Aggie Apple
AG
Made these tonight. Wow! Great recipe. Thanks for sharing.
JYDog90
AG
My wife said they were the best beans she's had. She said they were "cravable."

Thanks B1-83!
FIDO 96
AG
+10 on flavor rating. +11 on flatulence rating
FIDO*98*
AG
Served them up today with a Prime brisket
Sooner Born
quote:
quote:
Wouldn't make it with anything other than clamato.
...but, as someone noted above, if someone with a shellfish allergy is eating it, you could have a problem.

If you can't use Clamato then you can't make this recipe. You might as well follow Fido's recipe or many of the other great recipes out there.
Aggielandma12
AG
Do you drain the beans or just dump the can in?
Hwy30East
quote:
Do you drain the beans or just dump the can in?
I think people have done it both ways. I actually drained one can, and poured the other can in without draining just to get some of the juice. Next time I think I'll drain both cans.
farmer2010
AG
Depends on how soupy you like your beans. I usually drain them since there's plenty of liquid in the other ingredients.
Aggielandma12
AG
Thanks...starting them now. Gonna let me soak until dinner tonight.
Aggielandma12
AG
Wife tried the beans and pretty much dropped her panties on the spot. Great recipe.
Aggie Apple
AG
quote:
Wife tried the beans and pretty much dropped her panties on the spot. Great recipe.
Well now I'm thinking I might have messed up the recipe.
BurrOak
AG
Just made a big batch to take to a family reunion today. I've made these a couple times for myself, and love em. I browned the bacon first, then chopped and added with other ingredients. Dumped the grease in too.

Curious to hear their opinions.
Post removed:
by user
BlueMiles
AG
quote:
made them for my wifes surprise party tonight and forgot to serve them

Happy birthday to her.
Happy bean day to you.

This was no "accident."
ellebee
Making these along with sodium citrate asadero queso for a party today.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Going to be making these Friday for a group of guys spending the weekend in Port Alto.
Cen-Tex
AG
Made them for our group at the Frio. Everyone liked them.
AMF 2 AMC
AG
Great thread. I'm looking forward to trying B1-83's version. Fido's are more what I'm used to, but the idea of not waiting over a day for a pot of beans is too good to pass up.

For those concerned about Clamato, would a mix or tomato paste and fish sauce instead make a doable workaround? I think I'll try it on a second batch. Not allergic to shellfish; just think fish sauce is awesome stuff.
FIDO*98*
AG
quote:
Great thread. I'm looking forward to trying B1-83's version. Fido's are more what I'm used to, but the idea of not waiting over a day for a pot of beans is too good to pass up.

I've been making B1's beans for a while now
aTm2004
AG
The OP says "large" cans of Bush's Pinto Beans...what's the large can? I'm tossing a brisket on the smoker tomorrow and figured I'd give these a try, so when I went to the grocery store, they had 3 sizes of beans. They had the little can that is common among canned veggies, then a larger can that looks like what you'd get to feed a family of 4 (what I bought). Next to that were the huge cans that looked like what Chavis used when he had the team over for BBQ a couple of weeks ago.
eric76
AG
quote:
The OP says "large" cans of Bush's Pinto Beans...what's the large can? I'm tossing a brisket on the smoker tomorrow and figured I'd give these a try, so when I went to the grocery store, they had 3 sizes of beans. They had the little can that is common among canned veggies, then a larger can that looks like what you'd get to feed a family of 4 (what I bought). Next to that were the huge cans that looked like what Chavis used when he had the team over for BBQ a couple of weeks ago.
We don't have that problem at the grocery store in Gruver.

It isn't big enough to have three sizes of anything except soft drinks.
Hwy30East
27oz cans was posted earlier in the thread, and that's what I used.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
This
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
I made these last night. They turned out great. Thanks for posting B-1.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
Thanks. That's what I have. Honestly, I didn't want to read through 12 pages to find out what size...lazy.
SoTXAg09
AG
We were all thinking it, just too polite to point it out.
txags92
AG
quote:
Everybody has a favorite pair of underwear...
TshirtVulture
So the ones I made on the 4th were again fantastic and I get the whole idea is to use the canned beans for speed and convenience but my wife made a pot a couple days ago per recipe except that she soaked beans instead of using the canned and my oh my they were fantastic! Made me drop MY undies on the spot!
Subsequently she refuses to make them again
ursusguy
AG
Mixing up a batch for a party tonight.
aTm2004
AG
They were good, but I honestly thought they tasted better the next day after they had time to set and the flavors all came together.
ellebee
quote:
They were good, but I honestly thought they tasted better the next day after they had time to set and the flavors all came together.

I thought the same thing a couple weeks ago when I made them.
txags92
AG
quote:
Mixing up a batch for a party tonight.

T&P for your coworker later this week if there are leftovers.
ursusguy
AG
How did you guess?

Converted state park bathroom, he is close.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.