Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,175 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
wdkjr73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks B-1. Will cook and serve the beans at Son's,'10, engagement party on July 12 at family lake and at Wedding rehearsal supper in February. My FIL cooked pinto beans in competition. They were good. My wife loved these bean the first time I cooked and I am not a bean cooker! C-1 '73
AgsMnn
AG
Just cooked these. Easy and very good. Will do again.
The Original AG 76
AG
Wife made em this weekend minus the serranos and they are still fantastic beans. I only have to add my usual Tobasco and serve em over hot tortillas and it makes a great stand alone meal.
Thanks for the recipe!
Aggiehunter34
S
Second batch down! I added more bacon to mine and boy was it good!
Allen76
AG
Man a thread that is over 5 years old...these beans have got to be good!
SoTxAg
AG
Great recipe. Been making them every couple months or so for awhile. Definitely will make a batch on Aug 28.
Stormchaser
AG
Cooked them for the first time last night. Amazing. They were bragged on as much as the fried fish was.
FHUAggie
Just made the OPs recipe...

Outstanding.

Like an idiot I forgot to add the peppers, so now I've got a good excuse to make this recipe again in the very near future making sure I include them (even though it's delicious without them).
Average Joe
AG
Making yet another batch because my wife keeps asking for them. Gonna try some hatch green chili sausage cut into small chunks instead of bacon. I will update with results.
HUEY04
AG
I have been cooking this recipe for about 3 years now and constantly get compliments and requests for the recipe by everyone who tries it.
I replaced the serranos with jalapenos and cook the bacon first then cook both the jalapenos and onion in the bacon grease. I also prefer to rinse the beans in a strainer and replace with a little extra clamato. If you haven't tried these you definitely owe it to yourself to give them a shot.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Made these for the tailgate yesterday and they disappeared very quickly.

Always a hit!
B-1 83
The Original AG 76
AG
Wife's been making these since mid summer. Absolutely great. She makes a batch almost every weekend so we have it during the week as a great side 3 -4 times during the week. She makes it a bit different each time and uses Ro-Tel instead of plain tomatoes. Sometimes she has added chunks of smoked pork, somr Slovackeks (sp) sausage..... whatever strikes her.
One of the best finds EVER on this board..Thanks OP.
agcrock2005
AG
Giving it a go tonight. Love these beans!
Ogre09
AG
Got a pot on the stove now. Soaked dry beans instead of canned, added minced garlic, and dropped the serranos because of the baby.

I fry the bacon first, as I find it doesn't brown well if cooked with the onions (temp too low). Then I remove bacon and saute onions and garlic in bacon grease. Crumble bacon and add back in with tomatoes and cilantro.
HUEY04
AG
I was just about to put some of these on. I also fry the bacon first just as Ogre09 described. Also, I've tried it with soaked dry beans but keep going back to well rinsed bush's canned pinto beans.
Ogre09
AG
Another great pot! I ate mine over a thick slab of cornbread.
wdkjr73
I made a pot Sunday afternoon. Just ate some reheated, they only get better. My MIL is having sandwiches and soup for Christmas. I am going to cook a pot of these for the soup! I have deseed the seranos and chop them (depending on the eaters). Throw them in with onions and bacon along with chopped garlic. Drain most of the bean juice, and add beer for some of the tomato. Can't wait until in-laws taste this!
Texker
AG
Made B-1s recipe tonight for the first time along with some cornbread. They were outstanding. I did cook the bacon first then added it back later. Used a can of organic diced tomatoes(rinsed) and rinsed the beans. Double damn good!
gigumaggie
AG
made these last night for the super bowl.....huge hit....will definitely be making these again.
ILikeTacos
AG
Funny I made some last night too. They were great!
beagle2009
AG
quote:
made these last night for the super bowl.....huge hit....will definitely be making these again.
quote:
Funny I made some last night too. They were great!
Same here - everyone loved them! These are definitely a keeper.
LewisChilds
AG
The Serrano were a bit much the first time I did them. I've substituted a pablano for two of them and had better results.
coppag92
AG
Made again (for 6th time) and must say that the Clamato (as opposed to just V8 or vegetable juice as sub) just adds a little something different that makes them better.

Had beans and jalapeno cornbread for breakfast!
Buck O Five
AG
Every time this thread resurfaces, we have to make another pot. Delicious.
Mowdy Ag
AG
I'm 8+ hours in with a brisket on the Primo right now - waiting out the stall. The beans will be ready later... ...and they are outstanding.

MA
BaitShack
AG
Making a batch in the crock pot now. These have become a staple lately.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Making a batch tonight to freeze for a later date... Might save one portion for this pan of cornbread I've got going for tomorrow night.

Here's to hoping that cast iron skillet doesn't smoke too bad!
trip98
AG
came across this thread a month ago...made the beans.....absolutely freakin' awesome!!!!
ConstructionAg01
AG
Made these along with cornbread tonight. Been enjoying this recipe for a couple years. My kids love em as long as I take the seeds out of the japs.
marcel ledbetter
What size cans of beans are y'all using? The 16 oz. cans are the normal size. Anything larger than that gets a ham hock buried in it.
BurrOak
AG
Made these last night for the first time. Pretty dang good for some quick and easy beans!

I used one 54oz can of the beans. Next time, I will definitely cook the bacon first and then add to the mix afterwards. It pretty much wont brown when cooking with the onions.
CyanideJenkins
AG
Made these again last night with a batch of sweet corn bread. Always awesome!
stridulent
AG
Would these beans go well as a side to some Texas chili?
gillom
AG
Made these for the umpteenth time tonight. Still delicious.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.