Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,216 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
Doubledown 2447
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great recipe. I'm not a fan of the clamato and usually switch to jalapeños But otherwise awesome.
ursusguy
AG
Just pulled a big bowl out of the microwave. My wife is going to love me in a few hours.
Dynastar97
Bump for the recipe. Making these after work tonight.
txags92
AG
Yup...we are making a double batch to go with the brisket and ribs later.
ursusguy
AG
I've made these for two different, large groups of hunters last month, and they went over great. I get some odd looks when I'm playing with the Clamato, but it ends up not slowing anyone down.
GNade737
eric76
AG
Turkey and dressing always seems awfully boring to me. I bet these would liven up a Christmas dinner.
always gig em
AG
I have a pretty outstanding pinto recipe that I got from a former boss who was Jewish but married to a Mexican lady. Never believed how good it was until I tried it and it was awesome. Will definitely try this one.
DonaldFDraper
AG
^^^Care to share?
NateAg03
AG
I bookmarked this thread waiting to try this recipe. As others, I had reservations about it. This is ****ing good beans! Will make it again and again. Very simple but great flavor. Thanks for sharing.
RossG_2
AG
I made this recipe and took it to work a couple of weeks ago...very good stuff. I made another batch on Tuesday and it's even better. Not many things in life are better than a good pot of beans. Good job.
SoTxAg
AG
Great beans every time.
Ogre09
AG
I have trouble getting my bacon to brown following the recipe. Too much moisture from the onions to get really hot. Going to try frying bacon first, then adding the onion and serrano to cook in the hot backn grease.
marcel ledbetter
I have a pot of these beans almost ready. Instead of oil to cook the onions, I substituted the fat rendered from a pork shoulder I recently smoked. I found that the bacon doesn't brown well when mixed with an entire onion, unless you are using a fourteen inch wide skillet. I would like to know what size y'all consider to be a large onion and a medium tomato. For consistency, define these two items into a certain number of ounces after chopping them up. I feel a warm kinship with some of y'all on this thread. It's great to read about other families who, as part of their culture, grew up eating the same foods as I did. Up here in Oregon, there's no rhyme or reason to the culture. I've seen these people put mayonnaise on a sliced brisket sandwich, eat bbq baked beans on a bun with nothing else, and they consider black pepper to be a spice to be added when you want heat in your meal!

[This message has been edited by marcel ledbetter (edited 5/5/2013 6:35p).]
marcel ledbetter
Just tried the recipe as written. Great! No complaints. Out of curiosity, I added about 3/4 lb. of pulled pork, several cloves of garlic, salt to taste and I can't quit eating them. I will say that I can tell the difference between canned beans and dried beans. Dried beans cooked the traditional way have a superior flavor to me. If you're in a hurry or, like me, the only one in the house that eats them, this recipe is outstanding! I'll make it again in smaller amounts in the future. If you try the pulled pork lard and then add meat, you'll be a junky.
The_Waco_Kid
AG
@always - does this mean they were cheap as hell?
munch96
AG
Made B-1's beans last night, and it was awesome! Loved the spice and flavors but I may have to cut down the amount of serranos (or even seed half of them) to make it a bit milder for other sensitve to the heat....

Will make it again!
Mission Velveta
Made these as well and must concur with the above poster. Very taste but maybe a little spicy for those sensitive to spice.
Signel
AG
I was in a rush at the store last week and snagged this stuff (thinking it was knockoff clamato) http://camaronazo.com/

Anyone know what it taste like? I have never tasted clamato because I always dump it right in the pot.
ursusguy
AG
I'm pretty hot spice sensitive, I've always made this recipe with jalapenos. Instead of cutting them up, I throw 4 in whole. Get a lot of jalapeno flavor, without any heat.

I've made them with the knockoff Clamato. Didn't get any complaints, but I didn't slow down to taste it prior to pouring either.
Jaytoke
AG
Tried these beans today, really good.
Signel
AG
I made another batch today.. good stuff.
munch96
AG
quote:
I'm pretty hot spice sensitive, I've always made this recipe with jalapenos. Instead of cutting them up, I throw 4 in whole. Get a lot of jalapeno flavor, without any heat.

I've made them with the knockoff Clamato. Didn't get any complaints, but I didn't slow down to taste it prior to pouring either.

Good idea! Will have to try that.
B-1 83
AG
If you de-seed and throw them in while the onion and bacon are cooking, it takes a chunk of the heat out.
ursusguy
AG
That's true. Last few times I've cooked these I was juggling multiple dishes in prep, it was easier to just throw them in whole. Was I have time, de-seeding and removing the white stuff is the way to go.
SoTxAg
AG
Camaronazo is good, saltier than Clamato I think, but ok.
Signel
AG
interesting.. I opted to use the clamato but still have the shrimp stuff in the fridge. I am afraid to try and make it with that stuff.
Texas Red
AG
Great recipe! I'm making it again tonight!
TylerAg98
AG
I have a shellfish allergy, so can't do the clam juice. Any suggestions for substituting the clamato juice with something else?
munch96
AG
Going with tomato juice should do the trick...
FSGuide
V8 or Bloody Mary mix will make a good substitution for the clammytoe.
NoneGiven
AG
Gonna have to give this a shot, but scrap the canned beans for presure cooked. Shouldn't extend the cook time by much at all if you start then beans while prepping the rest.
AV8ORAG84
AG
The canned beans are just fine in this recipe, that is the beauty of it, simple and great! Everyone loves them.
Would not waste time and effort on cooking beans another way. Try it !
Buck O Five
AG
Will have to share this with the family!
always gig em
AG
I'm a bad Aggie for not sharing earlier, but for the sake of sharing now and to keep the bean thread going here's my aforementioned recipe:

1&1/2 lbs pinto beans
1/4 lb salt pork cut into cubes--not bacon or ham, SALT PORK!
1 to 2 cloves of garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Tomato, onion, jalapeño, Serrano pepper, cilantro--make into pico de gallo, adjust to your hotness level

Separate beans from bad ones and rinse under cold water about a minute. Throw into crockpot beans, garlic, and cubed salt pork. Add what you think your level of salt taste will be, but definitely add some salt at this point. Cook on low 7-8hrs. stirring occasionally and adding salt/pepper to taste (I'm a pepper guy so I load up). When beans are done, add previously made pico de gallo to the pot and mix it well. Serve hot right out of the pot.

Notes: yes, add salt pork, not bacon, and yes it's already salty but it cooks out hence the calling for added salt. The garlic also completely cooks out as well. For the pico, I like my stuff burn your ass hot but if you don't just leave out the Serrano or deseed the jalapeño as well nancy. The consistency of beans is determined by the water level you use initially and the quantity of beans you add to the pot. Some like mushy beans and some prefer borracho style more watery beans, SO what I do is fill the pot at the start. Never add water after they've been cooking awhile or you'll ruin the whole pot, I've done this. Enjoy!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.