Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,199 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
Sooner Born
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Just finished my first bowl and they were outstanding. Especially when it's 40 degrees and drizzling right now.

A whole bowl on a cold night? That could be a mistake! I you're anything like me, you're going to be wishing you could open the windows soon.

[This message has been edited by Sooner Born (edited 12/6/2009 7:08p).]
26 Power
AG
I had a group of buddies come down to my place in Port O for a duck hunt over the weekend. Made these beans per the recipe, and they were a hit! After getting them started, I put em in a Crock Pot. Sure was nice coming back to a piping hot bowl o' beans after the afternoon hunt. Thanks B-1.
mccjames
AG
ttt
ursusguy
AG
I did up a pot of these for a hunt I was helping with after Thanksgiving. I use jalapeƱos, but I don't cut them, just throw them in whole. You get great flavor that way without the heat. Adults and kids alike raved out the beans.

Yeah, they make for gassy night
Agtrack
ttt
deadRED98
I made them the other day and they are great!

I will probably skip the manteca and use jalepenos instead of serranos next time.

I also picked up some dried chile pequin the other day and if I recall correctly they spice up the frijoles very nice.

Another recipe to try.

2lbs pinto beans
2 cans rotel (your choice on heat)
1 whole salt pork, diced and skin removed
1 small yellow onion
1 thingy of cilantro (I don't know what you call it when it's banded)
Salt to taste

Sort and wash the beans, soaking is optional. Throw it all in a pot and cook on low heat for several hours. Taste test and add what you want, always works for me.

Me and some Valley Rats always used this in college for the house and the chile cook off's we went to. Made some good eating with Pan de Campo.

[This message has been edited by deadRED98 (edited 1/2/2010 6:54p).]
Duck Blind
AG
Wow... your comment reminded me of the Pan de Campo festival in San Diego, Tx. We used to go back in the early 80's.

[This message has been edited by Frisco Kid (edited 1/3/2010 10:26a).]
Leanderthal
Used it to make our black eyed peas on New Years Day. Not bad at all!

The pinto version was much better earlier this year. Thanks!
Duck Blind
AG
Made it again today. Always a favorite in my house.
c-jags
after reading through this i will be making this in the very near future.
AggieT
AG
Made these last weekend. Easy and delicious.
c-jags
Made B1's recipe today w my parents and in-laws. Spent way too dadgum long outside today. The first chance to do some outside projects in a few months came on the coldest day in a decade, but I got them all done and was rewarded with some delicious beans. We had them w a pot roast and rolls. Dipping the roles in the bean juice was probably the best part!!!

Both sets of parents wanted the recipe.

[This message has been edited by c-jags (edited 3/9/2010 8:25a).]
B-1 83
AG

I rule!

Or at least my bean redipe does. I've started to sautee the serranos along with the onion and bacon (lightly), and it gives it a different flavor. Leaving/taking the seeds out can also help control some of the heat while maintaining the flavor.
Tanya 93
Don't like pintos, but tried it with 3 cans of Bush's black beans. Yum.

Used a can of Low Sodium V-8 and added mucho garlic and reduced the amount of peppers and cilantro (Toddler not a big fan of serranos)

Tasty recipe I must say.
Ogre09
AG
bump
*NYC Ag*
What's the right type/amount of peppers to add to ensure these are little children edible?
Larry S Ross
AG
That's a tough question. How old? Do they eat chips and hot sauce yet? Jalapenos or serranos can vary in heat. For young children I would say no more thn 1 and see how it goes. U can add heat but can't take it out.
ConstructionAg01
AG
I've made B-1's recipe about a dozen times or so since he started this thread and people never stop raving about them. I've literally had friends tell me they'd bring all the beer and/or bbq if I just bring some of those awesome beans. I use a lot more bacon, get it frying in the pot then add the onion and jalapenoes. I use four jalapenoes and remove the seeds in two of them. I also use an entire bunch of cilantro. Getting the jalapenoes sauteed early takes a lot of the heat out and both of my young boys will attack these beans like nothing else. They love them.
ursusguy
AG
Hmmm, I'm about to have my office to myself for 9 weeks, I know what I will be fixing on Monday.

I don't hadle spice well, but love jalapeno flavor. I just throw the peppers in whole, and get great flavor without the heat. My 21 month old son loves them and barely slows down.
*NYC Ag*
First time with this recipe. Damn good beans. Lots of flavor, not exactly sure what or how I'd characterize these beans...very good but different than beans I grew up eating in south texas.

Anyway, used 4 jalapenos and de-seeded and kids ate them well with no problems with heat.
SoTxAg
AG
Just made some. Great recipe for a quick bunch of good tasting beans.
GreasenUSA
AG
sittin near the shore of Canyon Lake right now enjoying the third pot of these I've ever cooked. They get better each time. Great when you don't have time to soak overnight. A few shots of tequila help too. Thanks for sharing!
pellerind
Today we salute you, Mr. Connoisseur of the bean.........good recipe.
ursusguy
AG
With a couple slight modifications for fat, this has become a regular lunch for me. Granted, my office mate is back now, so I might have to cut back a bit. Though she does tolerate the beans better than cabbage and greens.
BowSowy
AG
Hm, I may give this recipe a whirl. I keep reading that I should substitute 4 jalapenos (with 2 deseeded)? I love the heat, but my wife is not a fan.
eric76
AG
The Grocery Store (that's actually the name of the only grocery store in town) in Gruver doesn't carry serrano peppers. I guess I'll have to use jalanenos instead.
ursusguy
AG
To give it a neat twist, throw some nopalitos in the mix.
KW02
AG
We made these this weekend. I still prefer beens not from a can but the recipe is pretty good for some quick beans. We made a half-recipe and added a jalapeno (de-seaded) along with the serranos (with seeds).

Signel
AG
I want to find a way to add meat to this, but I haven't determined what meat would pair good with the tangy taste..

Pulled pork maybe?
Sassafras42
Bump because I am cooking beans tomorrow and want to find this thread easily.
txags92
AG
Signel, we are planning to slow cook a pork tenderloin on labor day and then will mash leftovers in with the beans. I will let you know how it turns out.
lakeside aggie
AG
I've cooked up this recipe several times since it showed up on 09, and it is a hit every time. Thanks much for the original post--it makes a fine meal.
SoTxAg
AG
Doing another pot tonight for pre-game meal.
TexAgg_IE
AG
Forty minutes of simmering these beans left. Already smells good. I thought the "cold" front called for a pot of beans.
txags92
AG
Pork tenderloin went in the slow cooker at about 945. Beans will go on around 7.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.