Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,298 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
HuntingGMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tried out B-1 83's recipe tonight. Used 2 cerranos and 1 jalapeno, both stripped of the seeds. Added just a little corn starch to give the juice some body. Everybody loved 'em!

Thanks B-1 83!
pdc093
quote:
I think the point of the recipe was missed. If you soak beans all day, the quality is always going to be better.

But if you're in a pinch or don't have all day, the OP's recipe is a fantastic substitute.
Absolutely. Great point Sooner. B-1's receipe looks like an outstanding one. One that I will definitely try at some point. I just tried Fido's recipe first. Anyway, thanks to both of you for posting the great recipes!

B-1 83
AG
Good points made. My recipe can be churned out in an hour. Fido's takes all day and is an outstanding one for those with time.
menace
AG
I had some buddies over tonight and I made B-1 83's bean recipe and it was great. Used 3 serrano peppers and 1 jalapeno pepper (kept seeds in all four pepper). It was delicious and will definitely make it again.
txag2008
AG
quote:
I had some buddies over tonight and I made B-1 83's bean recipe and it was great

that's what he thought......we didn't have the heart to tell him otherwise.
USMC1995
TTT for the 4th of July weekend.
Ag83
AG
Have a pot on the stove right this minute. Was planning to try fido's beans but forgot to soak them last night after I got back from fishing.
USMC1995
I have an altered pot on the stove right now. I decided to go with dry beans. I soaked them overnight and added enough beer to cover once the beans were added. I also added a little cumin and a little garlic powder. They have been on since 2pm. I have taste tested the liquid and it is out of this world good.
Hehateme1
Did B1's recipe today with briskit, tater saled and a cool beverage or two and a couple of jumps in the old cement pond. Truly outstanding, thanks for posting it.

..."yell 'Farmers Fight' when our boys are backed up"
pdc093
Because this is a most awesome thread...
jpistolero02
I used Fido's recipe this weekend for our little BBQ. They were easily the best beans I have made. I forgot to get the apple cider so I was missing that from my recipe. I also added a can of Rotel to mine. Everyone kept raving about the beans so they must have turned alright. Thanks for the great recipe.
FSGuide
Yesterday, we did the recipe that B-183 posted and they were great.... Actually my wife cooked them while I tended the grill, drank beer and lounged in the pool. We had three different flavor of ribs (6 racks total), lots of chicken and 3-4 different recipes of stuffed peppers. The beans were an excellent side for the meal. There was just enough beans left over for me to hide them in the fridge for my lunch on Monday!
ZoneClubber
AG
first batch 2 weekends ago was sans peppers b/c kids were going to eat them. needed more spice.

put 2 cerrano and 2 jaleps in today and my mouth is en fuego. good though.
DonaldFDraper
AG
I'm making B-1's recipe tonight with Black Beans.
zpustka
I'm in the mood for beans and cornbread...but since I'm at the office, I'll suffer and moan at these delicious recipes...

I'm making a batch of B-1's beans on Thursday to go along with my Jalapeno Cornbread...it won't suck
DonaldFDraper
AG
It worked well with black beans as well.
Comeby!
AG
This recipe just described my wife's secret 'quick beans'.
MarylandAG
I tried the original recipe a few weeks ago and brought it to work with some carne guisada, people loved them! Pretty easy to make. I used V8 instead of Clamato, just because there was some already at home.

I haven't tried Fido's recipe yet but I'm going to give it a shot pretty soon. Thanks for the recipe.
zpustka
I have a batch of B-1's recipe cooking in my dutch oven as I type this. SMELLS AND TASTE WONDERFUL
AustinAgChef
I can vouch for what zpustka said...I'm with him right now and the beans already taste great with about 30 more minutes of cook time to go. I've always been a dried bean kind of guy myself but this recipe is LEGIT.

If you haven't tried them yet I highly suggest you do.
zpustka
Here's the batch that I whipped up in my dutch oven:

Cornbread and Salmon Patties:

reb,
AG
zpustka you should upload those pics to tinypic.com then hotlink them here using forum codes
reb,
AG
Theres a cilantro allergy in my group, so I'm replacing it with parsley, should that work or is there a better substitute?

Also, how much garlic powder do you think it needs if im using the 2 27oz cans?
reb,
AG
replaced cilantro with parsley, subbed 2 jalapenos for the serranos

delicious
B-1 83
AG
quote:
Also, how much garlic powder do you think it needs if im using the 2 27oz cans?

There was no garlic powder in the recipe .....

It will lose something without the cilantro, but you have to please the masses. Glad it turned out alright.
DonaldFDraper
AG
I sweat some garlic with the onions when I make mine. Just personal taste.
Duck Blind
AG
Made 'em again this weekend. Tonight I mashed the leftovers, mixed with a little lard and refried them... good stuff.
X-at-10
Yep, I made them too. Couldn't find Bush's beans so I used Trappeys. No Clamato either so I used V8. The family loved them and so did I.

This is my new "fast" bean recipe.

NRA Life
Walk softly, but carry..
crag
AG
I tried these last week... pretty good, but a little too hot for my taste.

think I'll back off on the cilantro and peppers just a bit and try it again.

My oldest son is a pepper belly and loved 'em. He was actually drinking the juice from the bowl after eating the beans.

Thanks for the recipe!
B-1 83
AG
I'm making a big pot of these for the office Christmas party, oops, I mean "Holiday Celebration", tomorrow. I fully expect to be elected as "Emperor for Life" by general acclaimation as a result.
Protrident
AG
OK B-1, you got me. Trying this thing tomorrow, I'm compromising by soaking beans, but then doing everything else you said.

:-)

yippee2
AG
i just made these and they are delicious but WAY to hot. I only used 1 serrano pepper and 2 jalepeno's and it was still way to hot. it also needs more beans - i suggest using 3 cans of beans.
cplatt
Did these last night for the first time, outstanding and easy. My wife and I thought the spice was fine but to each his own.
B-1 83
AG
quote:
i just made these and they are delicious but WAY to hot. I only used 1 serrano pepper and 2 jalepeno's and it was still way to hot.

Serranos are like a box of chocolates ....
AgLandMan
AG
Just finished my first bowl and they were outstanding. Especially when it's 40 degrees and drizzling right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.