Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,268 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
roynonroy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Two thumbs up!
mneisch
AG
Used the recipe as well. I substituted in tomato juice for the Clamato, and added some pinto bean seasoning when cooking the onions. 2 serranos and 1 jalapeno was a little hot, so next time I will probably scale back to one of each. Overall really good.
ursusguy
AG
Made a discovery this morning with with recipe. I got hungry for beans, so starting at about midnight, I mixed up a batch. I made a couple additions like lots of garlic powder and cilantro. Apparently, the wonderful smelling concoction was still pretty stong 6 hours later when my 8 month pregnant wife walked in the kitchen. Now going on 18 hours, the smell is still lingering and I'm in trouble again

Great recipe.
TheGroupGuy
I made these beans tonight and they were outstanding.

Thanks for posting the recipe.

Deliver Me!
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
cottonbeltboy
I tried a batch with bagged beans(1st time cooking bagged beans) the other day and blew it. I soaked over night but I think something was missing or maybe there were just too many beans. Please help.
Signel
AG
How big was the bag of beans? If you used a full bag, that makes a huge pot of beans, so you would need to put in more of the seasoning to compensate.

Even a small bag of dry beans makes up to 4/6 quarts
Ted Logan
AG
The second time I made them, they came out way to hot for the kids. I removed the seeds from two of the seranos and they were still hot. They were perfect for me and my wife but my 5 year old would not have been able to eat them. It is hit or miss on the peppers. Sometimes they are hot and sometimes they are perfect.

I froze most of the batch and we have been eating them off and on for a couple of weeks now. Terrific recipe.

I can't explain why the dry beans wold not work out though. Maybe a bag of dry beans makes quite a bit more then the cans like the other poster said. I was eventually going to try and do it with bagged beans but this recipe works out great when you don't have much time to prepare for a meal.

[This message has been edited by Ted Logan (edited 5/24/2009 10:38a).]
ursusguy
AG
Got my 5th pot of this concoction going at the moment. Tried a couple minor variations to tailor to different groups. Personally, I don't have a high tolerance for hot spice, so I use 3-4 uncut Jalapenos. You get the great flavor without the heat.
Deats99
AG
Made some this afternoon. I have little kids and a Prego wife, both heat sensitive, so I put the peppers in with the onions and a table spoon of minced garlic. Glad I did so because my eyes could feel the heat coming out of those peppers. Will let you know how it turned out.
B-1 83
AG
Through experimentation, I have discovered that:
1. Serranos are like a box of chocolates .....you never know what you are going to get.
2. Deseed the serranos and you really hedge the bet - it makes the recipe much more mild.
Fishing Fools
Out Friggin Standing Recipe.

I'm the hero of the house tonight.
Post removed:
by user
Duck Blind
AG
Made them again today. Didn't have jalapenos so I used serranos...OUCH. I de-veined and de-seeded but those babies were cooking.

Damn GREAT recipe.
taquache02
AG
This recipe is great. I tried it out tonight and got lots of compliments.
TechDiver
Try em with a poblano for a twist...

If you've got a blow torch, sear the outside of the poblano until the skin blackens and boils, then put it directly into something like tupperware for about five minutes to let the skin soften - then remove the skin, take out the veins and seeds, dice it up and put it in the beans in place of the serranos.

MUCH milder flavor, but with a nice smokiness to it.

Just a variation to try.

Allsome Aggie
I made this recipe over the weekend for some Memorial Day barbecue for a crowd and was definitely impressed. In the future, however, I'll take the time to make fido's recipe again. They are definitely the better of the two recipes if you are willing to take the time.
Sooner Born
TTT
DRE06
AG
I need to feed 16.

Should I double or triple the original recipe?
p-wonk01
AG
quote:
I need to feed 16.

Hmmm make that 17...where do I meet yoou? ha
BrazosDog02
AG
But the beans you use come from a can?
Sooner Born
quote:

Triple it. It makes great leftovers.
pdc093
Fido's recipe rocks it. I prefer the dried/soaked overnight beans. Canned tend to be a little tough. They went great with the smoked brats I made. Thanks for posting the recipe Fido!
AgBrad08
What size cans for the beans and for the tomato(clamato)?
Im going to try this along with the brisket tomorrow.
B-1 83
AG
27 oz cans
The Clamato size is irrevilant - you are only using a cup and 1/2 or 2 cups if it.

[This message has been edited by B-1 83 (edited 6/20/2009 2:07p).]
AgBrad08
oh i see. When I read it, I was thinking cans.
Thanks... hopefully the beans will turn out better than by brisket.
BrazosDog02
AG
You can't screw this up. I just made a batch. AWESOME!

I halved it and used two 16oz cans, since the wife doesn't like red meat, i made her a batch with two 16oz cans as well and used turkey bacon. She said its outstanding. I also drained ONE of the cans, since i like my bean juice a touch more concentrated. There isnt a whole lot of juice in them, so this probably had little effect.

Excellent recipe, OP.
AgBrad08
i thought pork was the other white meat? or does bacon not count?
fido98
quote:
Fido's recipe rocks it. I prefer the dried/soaked overnight beans. Canned tend to be a little tough. They went great with the smoked brats I made. Thanks for posting the recipe Fido!

quote:
In the future, however, I'll take the time to make fido's recipe again. They are definitely the better of the two recipes

Thanks!
BurnetAg
Looks like 2 good recipes to try this next weekend at a bbq. Anyone in austin area is welcome to come
TechDiver
The rib made these tonite to go along with the brisket I made today. We've made this recipe three times, and they are rocking good.

Next time I'm going to drain the beans and replace that liquid with BBQ sauce just to shake things up a bit.

Brisket was out-of-this-world awesome.
BrazosDog02
AG
As soon as I get these eaten up, Im going to give fido's recipe a go.
Sooner Born
quote:
In the future, however, I'll take the time to make fido's recipe again. They are definitely the better of the two recipes

I think the point of the recipe was missed. If you soak beans all day, the quality is always going to be better.

But if you're in a pinch or don't have all day, the OP's recipe is a fantastic substitute.
ursusguy
AG
Exactly, I'll be making another batch to act as lunch for the week later tonight.

Love the recipe.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.