Outdoors
Sponsored by

Best.pinto.beans.ever.....

351,206 Views | 994 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
c0rn_d0g
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just made these. They're delicious.

I used the giant 111oz can, and they still tasted great. I'll definitely be making them in the future.

Edit since i used the wrong can size...

[This message has been edited by c0rn_d0g (edited 4/20/2009 9:29p).]
sixbarag
Sponsor
AG
Made them per recipe tonight........Great!
My wife and Mom both loved them...and they are big fans of my regular dry pinto recipe.
I will make again when in need of a quick pot of beans.
GSS
My batch came out great, but I substituted jalapeno peppers. Plus the Clamato may not be used the next time; I tasted some of it, and I think it was so close to tomato/V8 juice, to not warrant the cost. The "clam" taste was very minimal.
cottonbeltboy
Just tried these on Friday and loved them.
str8shot1000
AG
I did a half recipe and substituted 2 cloves of crushed garlic for the cilantro. I don't like cilantro, and it turned out quite nicely. Good recipe, B1....
TechDiver
My wife made some of these today while I was tending the smoker (brisket and a couple of slabs of ribs).

They were/are very good. Will probably use jalapenos instead of serranos next time... the serranos we had tonite were particularly hot. I also added about a cup of my homemade BBQ sauce to them and that was a nice addition... gave them a smokier flavor and a little sweetness to help with the heat from the serranos.

Now - this is a good quick pinto bean recipe, and I'll use it again.

But I'm now hunting a good BBQ beans recipe... more like a cross between baked beans and ranch-style, if you get my meaning.

Anyone have anything like this they'd care to share?

And here's my helpful tip for the day: I added some cinnamon (!!!) to the rub I put on my ribs (not on the brisket) and the flavor was great.
TechDiver
bump
Allsome Aggie
Made fido's beans over the weekend. They were absolutely out friggin standing. Someone who has made the other recipe should try fido's and let us know how they compare

quote:
But I'm now hunting a good BBQ beans recipe... more like a cross between baked beans and ranch-style

Try fido's recipe and substitute Northern beans for the pintos and add in some molasses and maybe a little BBQ sauce.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
i wish someone would give me the bean recipe that Murphy's in Winchester has. My favorite.
Arminius
quote:
If something tastes good, why complain or try to make fun of it?

Because some folks here have their head so far up an orifice that they need a window instead of a bellybutton!

I once asked about putting chocolate in chili (molé style) and of the few responses there were, 70% was harsh criticism from the chili 'purists'... It's TexAgs, what else would you expect?

Having said that, I'll give this a shot - if nothing else, the dogs will eat better than usual for a couple of nights.
superduke00
DANG!!! I thought it was Bill Miller's.
Fool Hearted Mammary
Went great with the ribeyes last night. Thanks for the recipe!
GigEm78
AG
ttt
HCHunter
S
Will be giving this a shot this weekend. From all the replys on here I expect nothing but the best.
Ag83
AG
Made half a batch today - extremely good. Much too hot for my son and daughter (1 year old and 4 years old, respectively), but my wife and I loved them. Thanks for recipe B-1!
Backstrapper
Need help, as I am suppose to make these tonight.

What size can??? I have several 27oz cans (that is the largest the store had)........what is the right amount for a full batch.

I need an answer asap.....Thanks
TechDiver
I used the 27oz cans. Worked well.
c0rn_d0g
AG
I drop out of this thread

[This message has been edited by c0rn_d0g (edited 4/20/2009 9:28p).]
Backstrapper
so 54 oz equals a full batch?
HCHunter
S
We made these this weekend with two of the huge cans. They turned out great and were the talk of the party. I will definitely be making these in the future. Its amazing how easy they are.

Backstrapper.....he means each can was 53oz.

[This message has been edited by HCHunter (edited 4/20/2009 4:10p).]
TechDiver
I used two 27 oz cans. worked out perfectly.
Backstrapper
This is the kind of stuff that aggie jokes are started from.....
B-1 83
AG
It's supposed to be 2-27oz cans.
Ag83
AG
I used a single 53 oz can in my half batch.
B-1 83
AG
Uh, a 53 oz can would be a full batch and call for the full spices.
Backstrapper
Ok, I used two (2) 27oz cans for a full batch. I used the recomended recipe with the exception of; I used 2 instead of 4 serranos and I added a poked jalapeno.

Results were great with my family. Thanks B-1 for the recipe.
Ag83
AG
quote:
Uh, a 53 oz can would be a full batch and call for the full spices.

Uh, I realize that (now). I made it as I said and it was still great.

[This message has been edited by Ag83 (edited 4/21/2009 2:14p).]
B-1 83
AG
They went well with fried redfish and black drum this evening.
Ted Logan
AG
We tried them this weekend and they were terrific. I would make a few amendments to them though...

1. chop up some garlic to put in them. You can never have enough garlic.

2. add another small can of beans to them. The only complaint my wife had was that it needed more beans in the recipe. Maybe the onions and tomatos were too big that I bought.

3. Only keep the seeds in 2 of the serranos if you have children. We did this and it had the perfect heat for the kiddos.

4. cook them on the stove...we had to use a crock pot due to a soccer game that we had to leave the house for. I didn't want to leave a flame on in the house without us there. The crock pot did not burn off enough of the water from the onions/tomatoes so it was a little soupy.

5. I used regular V8 instead of clamato due to a shell-fish allergy in the family and it still turned out great.

Now I need to try the other recipes in this thread. For you purists out there not wanting to use canned beans, you can still do this with regular pintos, just cook them first in a separate pot then fit it into the recipe when it calls for them.
B-1 83
AG
A batch I made this weekend involved some serranos that must have had an attitude. They turned out a little hotter than I like, but still edible to me. The wife was not so accomodating.
05MechEngr
great beans. Works great with Shiner leight in place of clamato, and i can actually use those extra bottles that came in the family reunion pack
rwtxag83
AG
OK, I will also give it a go.
Duck Blind
AG
Ok, I made them Sunday. This was a stretch for me since I usually make them from scratch but DAMN THEY WERE GOOD! I added just a shake of Bolner's Pinto Bean Seasoning in place of salt and pepper and my whole family loved them.

Thanks for sharing this recipe.

[This message has been edited by Frisco Kid (edited 4/28/2009 9:57p).]
Ags20-10_'75
S
Made them for Cinco De Mayo luncheon at work and everybody loved them.
ursusguy
AG
Made another batch last week, and was pretty much my lunch for the week. I added a bit of Harley's seasoning to it, and used 4 uncut jalapenos. This go around I didn't have any bacon, so in went the smoked venison sausage.

I will add, I don't think my GI tract has been this clean in a while

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.