Outdoors
Sponsored by

Czech...

112,121 Views | 375 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Shoefly!
MouthBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
The Czech Republic has the highest beer consumption per capita in the world.
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
I married a Czech.

Let me just say I approve of this thread.

God's Peace,
Chuck

Na Zdraví 87
AG

Na zdravĂ­!!!!!!!!!
Agz_2003
AG
Did any of y'all with Czech heritage have any holiday traditions (Christmas, Thanksgiving)?

I'm not sure if this was a Czech or German (or just a family one), but we always had seafood (fried fish) on Christmas Eve.
Hoyt Ag
AG
quote:
The Czech Republic has the highest beer consumption per capita in the world.

And I get to spend 3 weeks there in April.
Agz_2003
AG
nevermind, misread

[This message has been edited by Agz_2003 (edited 12/2/2010 11:09a).]
philw486
moving to prague next fall, would be great if anyone can give some useful tips into the culture.
Agz_2003
AG
quote:
moving to prague next fall, would be great if anyone can give some useful tips into the culture.

www.prague.net
MouthBQ98
AG
Fish on Christmas is Czech, but some other europeans do it as well. Baked carp was apparently popular, seeing as the turkey is not indigenous to Europe, and for most of the time it has been available, it was very expensive.
Agz_2003
AG
That's interesting MouthBQ. Friends would always ask me why we ate fried fish for Christmas - now I know why.

All this talk made me think of the Kountry Bakery in Schulenburg - you can now order the kolaches online:

http://kountrybakery.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=KB_WEB&Category_Code=KBKOL

edit: even though we all know there is no equivalent to a warm, fresh-out-of-the-oven kolache.

[This message has been edited by Agz_2003 (edited 12/2/2010 12:10p).]
Curak73
+1 on the fried fish. Odd enough though is that it is only mom's side of the family that does it. Dad's side still is the usual turkey/ham bit.

Although probably not recognized by most others, my holiday tradition is trying to crack up my 80+ year old grandfather by stuffing whole dinner rolls in my mouth or making curak jokes when grandma is not around. Even at 37, wiener jokes with grandpa are still funny.
Neches21
I'll chime in.
1/2 Czech.
Kana's and Cernosek's from Hostyn and LaGrange.
jmaustin
AG
^^^

I have second cousins that are Kana's and was tought kindergarden by a Cernosek in Weimar.
p-wonk01
AG
el presidente, I've got a bottle of that in the bar right now. Great this time of year. Spicy as anything
shiftyandquick
http://www.expats.cz/prague/article/czech-cooking/czech-carp/
Ags99
czechs

Ags99
Czech Maid

Skippy85
Our Czech tradition is also a fish fry on Christmas Eve. I asked my grandmother why, and she said her family had always done the same, so it must be a long-held tradition. Her parents came over from Czechoslovakia around 1900 and apparently brought the tradition with them.
Agz_2003
AG
I'm glad I'm not the only one with the Christmas fish fry
Texgal65
Fish fry on Christmas Eve here as well. I had to explain to my co-workers the reasoning behind what they thought was a strange tradition. Mom always said they ate fish because you were not allowed to eat meat on Christmas Eve. Even after the Vatican changed this rule for Catholics, my family carried on. There is never any question about what's for dinner on Christmas Eve.

[This message has been edited by Texgal65 (edited 12/2/2010 7:12p).]
Agz_2003
AG
We need to create some sort of group or association for Czech Aggies
Gone
I'm about half Czech. My Grandma is 100% from West. She used to bake the hell out of some kolache. She also taught me a few choice phrases in Czech (on accident of course). This thread is nails. I love everything about the Czech heritage and want to eventually learn how to speak it.
Prophet00
AG
My Dad's side of the family is 100% Czech and settled in Robstown. When I was a kid, I never realized how many Czech communities there are everywhere. Still won't find many Rychetsky's stateside, but they're everywhere in the Czech Republic.

On the food topic, did anyone else regularly eat potato cakes? Not sure how to spell it, but pronounced "hah-loosh-ky"?

Still a staple to this day in our household.
IMnAg79
AG
Married a Czech..Daughter-in-law Czech from Shiner..

Beat sakra z L$U
Agz_2003
AG
Market-made Red Weiners

Summer Sausage

[This message has been edited by Agz_2003 (edited 1/28/2011 12:16p).]
Curak73
Gotta post any time this shows up.

KULP 1390 El Campo 8-9 am M-F polka show. If you want to wish Helen Dlabaj or Wayne Macik (both fictional) happy birthdays, they take requests. Heck, if you just want to hear Marianko Waltz, they'll play that too.
jagvocate
AG
So I married a 1/4 German 3/4 Czech gal ... after family reunions in Shiner and Warda, I'm starting to get the hang of things.

There always seems to be fun, beer, and BBQ involved

[This message has been edited by jagvocate (edited 7/11/2011 3:08p).]
Na Zdraví 87
tamuguide
AG
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klobasnek
Holubaloo13
I'm also 100% Czech and also from Moulton. Last name is Holub, we know the Pateks, Orsaks, Bacaks, Rebeceks, Boothes, Bartos and all the others very well. And after all my years there are pig-in-a-blankets and there are kolaches. HUGE difference. But all you need is zima pivo- cold beer!!
FIDO 96
AG
quote:
quote:
The other is Kountry Bakery at I-10 & Hwy 77 in Schulenburng. Dobre Smakuje'

The one in Halletsville is better.

I didn't realize ther were so many lovers of the Czechs. I'm 100% (Satsky). My father is from Halletsville and his mother worked at the Kountry Bakery for 22 years. My mother is from Ennis, and my Grandmother has won the kolache & strudel baking contest at Polka Fest over a dozen times.
As a kid, my 6 brothers and sisters (7 kids is a good indicator of a Czech/Catholic heritage) spent our weekends in every SPJST, KC or KJT dance hall from Ennis to Halletsville and every little town in between.
Cen-Tex
AG
It's Xmas Eve (Štìdrý den) and I'm sitting here listening to 'Like A Rose Polka' by the Dujka Brothers. It don't get no better than this.

Veselé Vánoce a Šastný Nový Rok
(Merry Christmas and Happy New Year)
shinerbalk
i love this thread...I'm eating Momma's strudel right now. Czech Catholic Texan Aggie here.

[This message has been edited by shinerbalk (edited 12/24/2011 5:59p).]
MouthBQ98
AG
My mother is a Holub. She was born in Moulton. We could be relatives!

[This message has been edited by MouthBQ98 (edited 12/24/2011 8:07p).]
Cowboy1990
Half Czech half German.....

Grandfather who passed away in August '11 used to be able to read and speak the language. He used to use all the phrases mentioned here like Jejdanicky, yaysheeshmadia, teesiyabakrupiza, pupek, honyock, etc.

Funny thing is I Just stumbled upon this thread and I started calling our 4 year old son Honyock about a month ago!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.