Outdoors
Sponsored by

Czech...

112,542 Views | 375 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Shoefly!
tupa96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tupa here from Ganado. 100% Czech.
0708aggie
AG
My tupas settled around wharton, flatonia. Not sure if you know anyone from around that area.
TexasAggie_02
AG
8 pages and only 2 hotties? such a waste
tupa96
I do not any Tupa's from Flatonia or Wharton, but have many relatives in El Campo.
MouthBQ98
AG
quote:
Joe Patek married Emily Novosad on May 21, 1934. They were married until Emily passed away in the early 1980s. They had seven children.

Joe is my grandmother's uncle.

[This message has been edited by MouthBQ98 (edited 6/21/2010 5:11p).]
AgeofEase08
AG
YES!!!

joshq
AG
+1 For Hruska's in Ellinger. Mom is from Fayetteville and been going to Hruska's for years. My grandmother's kolaches are better, but Hruska's are pretty good.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

-Colonel Sanders
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I believe at Katy Elementary School, when I was there in 1971-1974, one of our PE teachers was Miss Novasad.

Damn I'm old, but at least I'm Czech.
bakutac
My last name is Kutac. Mom was a Hrncir. 100% Czech and proud of it!! From the El Campo/Louise area. If ever on Hwy 59 between El Campo and Louise stop at Prasek's Hillje Smokehouse. Best Czech pastries around! ..and beef jerky!

KUTAC
DayAg!
S
You guys are bringing back lots of memories.My dads side were 100% Moravians from Corn Hill. They went to school in Granger and we lived there a while. I can remember my dad and my uncles every weekend playing Toraks.(Bohemian cards) Man they would fuss in czech all night.

My dads mom could make chicken noodle soup from scratch that was damn good. And yes Kolaches are the pastries, not the pigs in a blanket that some say are kolaches. Prunes, cream cheese and poppy seed.

One of my uncles has passed now but I remember when he got married at the Granger catholic church and the reception was at the St.S&M Hall. Just behind there by the old school. He was good friends with Joe Patek so Joe played the wedding for him. Man I never since in my life seen so many 16gal. kegs of Falstaff beer.Dance the circle dance where the old ladies go one way and the old guys go the other. When the music starts you dance with the one across from you at the time. Old round bohunk woman can polka. And dont think they cant. I think I was like 10 at the time.

Honyaks, Jak se mas, Dobre, Yay da nichke,Ye Ye Pivo, honem, phrases and words I heard in school in Granger when I was a kid. Most of the kids had both czech parents so most could speak the language and talked with an accent. I did too until about the 4th grade.

And yea, Czechs had money, bohemians not so much was the running joke. And to some, if you called them a bohunk you might as well get ready for a fight. Some were old school that way. Lots more stories but everyone has something to be proud of.

Turn dat dam thractur aroun and in da barn puut him.

Grand memories of a heritage to love.

[This message has been edited by DayAg! (edited 9/2/2010 5:42a).]

[This message has been edited by DayAg! (edited 9/2/2010 5:46a).]

[This message has been edited by DayAg! (edited 7/11/2011 4:11p).]
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Wow two folks in el campo have the Internet . We'll need to coordinate and get on at alternate times nit to blow a fuse
Curak73
In the spirit of the DayAg! post --

Tere is a tunderstorm on I-tirty-five tis mornin. Good that yesterdy was thrash day.
BoozerRed78
AG
Pure Texas Bohemian here. Love my kolaches, pigs in a blanket, beer & sausage.
hellapark
AG
Don't have a whole lot of Czech blood but lots of German blood in me.
I grew up in the Czech/German hotbed of Lavaca county as evidenced in the names of the little hamlets around the county: Komensky, Moravia, Breslau, Vsetin, Bilahora, Vysehrad, Wied, etc.

In Hallettsville, the polka show still comes on the local radio station every afternoon.

I've been lecturing people on the fact a REAL kolache does not have meat in it for years.

I know the Joe Patek family pretty well, and went to high school with two of his granddaughters. The man is a legend.
Agz_2003
AG
quote:
I grew up in the Czech/German hotbed of Lavaca county...

it's a small, small world
Agz_2003
AG

Here is a little beer trivia: the original Shiner Beer logo (as seen above) is a cotton boll.
hellapark
AG
quote:
it's a small, small world

Where are you from Agz?
Agz_2003
AG
Shiner
Illustrious Potentate
AG
Maybe some of you from around Lavaca County can help me out. I've recently been trying to trace my lineage, and I'm not having any luck on my paternal Grandmother.

Her maiden name was Tichavsky, but I can't find any information on her father or mother.

I have found information on what looks like two lines of Tichavsky's, one that came through Lavaca County and one that came through Fayette county. Both Christian names of the men that I find in the census is Frank. There are lots of Frank Tichavsky on both sides, as well as Frances.

The Tichavsky name looks like it came from Moravia.

If any of y'all have information that would be helpful in my search, please PM me.
Ag83
AG
quote:
Yay da nichke

OK, this one is familiar. What does it mean?
Texgal65
It means "oh my goodness" or something close to it
runnrboy
AG
I'm 100% Czech from West.
runnrboy
AG
quote:
HECUBUS:
If you frequent the Czech Stop in Waco, try the Ole Czech Bakery. Its better. I heard about it here many years ago and only go there now. If you are heading North, take the road just past the Czech Stop and its a block down on your right.

These are in West, not Waco. Big difference.
HECUBUS
AG
Yes it's in West.

Did I say Waco? Brain fart #987573455.

You must be the first person to read my post since MasterAggie posted that picture.

What were we talking about?

[This message has been edited by HECUBUS (edited 9/3/2010 3:56p).]
doubleag91
AG
Educate me on German vs. Bohemian vs. Czech.
Cen-Tex
AG
Anyone have a svacina today?
jejdag
Great thread that just keeps on going.
My roommate at Aggieland was a Novosad. My dad was born in Corn Hill and I was married there...beautiful church! Jejdanecky is a mild expletive, and one I use in my TexAgs handle! I've always heard that Dubina was the first Czech settlement, and that an ancestor or mine (Holub) was instrumental in getting it started. My Mom's side came from Novy Hrozenkov and my Dad's from somewhere near the Hungarian border. It's a damn shame, but I'm thinking that when my parent's generation (Daddy died 10 yrs ago, and Mama is 85) dies, the language will go with them. I can say the days of the week, some prayers, counting and a bunch of words that I don't know how to link, but it's not enough. I only ever knew one granparent, but she didn't speak English and I didn't speak Czech!
Ag83
AG
quote:
It means "oh my goodness" or something close to it

I think it might be a little more, how do you say....'colorful' than that...
Cen-Tex
AG
You can also simply say "je da"...it means Oh my goodness. Saying jedanecky adds a little more flavor, meaning golly gee goodness.

Saying jedanacky sakramensky means "golly gee goodness by the sacraments" A firmer expletive.

Some not OK terms would be:
jezis maria (Jesus w/Mary)
Pro Pan Krista - for Christ's sake !
Ale svaty Josefe - by St. Joseph!
Your grandma might slap you if you said these.

jejdag
Tupa96, my brother taught you Ag. There were Novosads in Ganado, yes? An older family, but that's where my roommate was from back in the early 80's.
BRIANVD04
AG
bakutac- My mother's cousin is a Hrncir, Gus Hrncir in Sugarland.
tupa96
jejdag--Timmy Prochaska would have been my ag teacher. As for the Novosad's, if it is the school teacher you are referring to, he was the auto mechanics teacher in high school when I was in junior high.
bhah
bakutac, did you go to Louise?
Texgal65
All of the Czech sayings bring back so many memories..I chuckled when I read them. They remind me so much of my dad (died in 89). When my dad and his brothers would play Taroky, you better stay back..lots of card slapping on the table and lots of cussing. I used to get a kick out of watching them. We recently had to put mom in the nursing home and I think of all the wonderful cooking and baking she used to do. Very sad for me right now. But I can also reflect on years past and smile. It is great being Czech!
MouthBQ98
AG
Grr. This thread is back, and now I'm hungry.

FYI, from wiki:

quote:
The current Czech Republic comprises three historical lands: Bohemia (Èechy) in the West, Moravia (Morava) in the South-East, and Czech Silesia (Slezsko; the smaller, south-eastern part of historical Silesia, most of which is located within modern Poland) in the North-East. Jointly, these 3 parts can be described as "Czech lands", with Czech language being spoken in all three. When the Czech nation regained its independence in 1918, the new state of Czechoslovakia was constituted to reflect the union of the Czech and Slovak territories that were merged together after the WWI (in addition, a small part of Western Ukraine was included as well).

[This message has been edited by MouthBQ98 (edited 10/15/2010 10:46a).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.