Outdoors
Sponsored by

On what lure did you get your biggest bass?

3,700 Views | 86 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sgt. Hartman
aggiegolfer03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody other than Mouth beat a pink trick worm for unlikeliness?

Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Stink bait fishing the bottom, caught a 7 pounder once.

Then caught a 4 pounder on little panfish fly, tiniest hook I've ever used too.

"It takes a big man to admit he's wrong. I am not a big man."
AggieChemist
AG
Texas rigged pumkinseed/chartreuse 5" power worm.
Vero143
I have caught a ten pounder on a Wacky Worm and another big bass on a split tail Junebug colored Zoom worm.
Gus
AG
Jitterbug - topwater

[This message has been edited by Gus (edited 4/22/2008 2:29p).]
lostboy
White double blade spinner bait with trailor hook. Gotta have the trailor hook

Easiest lure to fish. Chunk, Reel, Repeat.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
9.5lbs on a spinnerbait. Tandem copper Colorado blades with a red, blue, and chartreuse body/skirt.
gigem70
AG
Caught my 7#er on a junebug Zoom horny toad last summer.
chocolatelabs
AG
7 lbs on 87flyfishers secret fly. Caught two weeks ago.
TRIDENT
AG
8.6 lbs at Gibbons on a fat shad crankbait.
Deats99
AG
7.5 lbs on that old school stink bait. The kind that looks like a little bulb and you skirt the nastiness inside.
MouthBQ98
AG
For what it is worth, the last 2 state record bass were caught about the same way I caught my biggest...crappie fishing deep with a little minnow...
frankssnbeans
one of those 99 cent chartruese spinner baits from walmart. 8.5 lbs in a small 5 acre pond. Seems hard to beet those little suckers sometimes. especially at 99 cents a pop.
frankssnbeans
speaking of last 2 state record bass, I glanced at TPWD, ( not sure how updated that list is) and did you know that 35 of the top 50 state record bass came form Fork. what is intersting is that 24 of those came from 1986-1992. what happened? only a few have been in recent years. anyone fish fork enough to know what the deal is?
aggiegolfer03
AG
Fewer pure strain and F1 generation floridas.

aggielostinETX
AG
quote:
For what it is worth, the last 2 state record bass were caught about the same way I caught my biggest...crappie fishing deep with a little minnow...

Crappie guys at Fork always catch the biggest fish
555-PINF
Black & Blue spinner bait w/ single colorado blade - not sure of the brand, but it wasn't anything that I'd seen before. One of my buddies left it tied to one of my poles, so I claimed it as my own.
tx4guns
AG
I didn't catch it, but I was there and helped land it, so I take half credit - my roommate in college caught a 26" bass that weighed 6.5# in the summer at Hilltop Lakes. Caught it on a blue/chrome Heddon Zara-Gossa twitchbait. CPR'd her. Beautiful fish. I need to scan the picture of it and post it sometime.
lostboy
quote:
what is intersting is that 24 of those came from 1986-1992. what happened?

Everybody that could spell b-a-s-s decided to go fish Fork. The pressure killed it for the average fisherman. Guides and those in-the-know still do well, but its become a much tougher bite.

Same kind of explosion is happening to Amistad and Henry, except they are too far out to expereince the kind of pressure Fork saw. If I had to guess, Ivie will be the next lake to produce the top bass in TX. Its just far enough out of reach from the cities that it may survive for quite a while.
Cancelled
AG
I cheated on my two bass. Both were nailed on a blue/silver rattle trap. Either 1/4 oz or 1/8 oz - I can't well remember.
MasterAggie
AG
6" motor oil/orange flake/orange tail "Fishin' Delight" worm Texas rigged.
Sean98
AG
Most of my big fish have come on soft plastics. But I rarely fish any sort of crankbait because I hate them.

Black/Blue lizards in shallow water and Black/Blue 1/2 oz jigs with crawfish trailers in slightly deeper water.
89FordAg
AG
8# caught on Texas rigged 8 inch pumpkinseed and chartruese Berkley power worm.
MouthBQ98
AG
On Fork: Lakes have a lifecycle to them. Newer lakes have a LOT more nutrients in them, and a lot more varied biomatter as the lake is first flooded, and there is a lot more underwater structure. After the lake has had a few years to get going, the ecosystem usually undergoes a boom for several years. As the lake matures, nutrient levels drop off some, the bottom gets silted and has less structure exposed, and the population settles into a mature cycle with stable fish populations of more average size. Sometimes if a lake is very low for a long while, and then refilled, you can re-create that youthful lake condition to an extent.

The dilution of the floridas with native genetics over time as mentioned above is probably also a factor. Native bass seem to be longer and leaner, from adaptation to living in rivers, as TX had no natural lakes...

agenjake
7.5# bass on chicken liver
RoperJoe02
H&H Spinner bait baby....the only way to fly.
PhiAggie
AG
10.5 lber on a lucky 13, 10 lber on a small white with blue tip strike king single rounded blade spinner, and a 9 on a pico pop.
Two-Bucks
AG
Texas-rigged motor-oil gold flake gator-tail, on a hot as heck day in June on Toledo Bend...

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Heady Lamarr
The Shank Ag

Watermelon Red Texas Rigged Baby Brush Hog

DD22 crankbait

Storm sunfish swimbait
swampstander
AG
I have caught two close to nine lbs on a red shad culprit lizard. Caught a 7 1/2 on a rebel long a, baby bass pattern
tony
AG
9.8 lber on a good sized blue-gill that was caught on a small popper fly, on a 5 weight fly rod.
Ogre09
AG
Nice grammar golfer, way to avoid the hanging preposition.
opie03
7+ lb on a black-green-red topwater bug.

Everything else on a tiny rainbow Rapala Wee-R. Can't beat it for small pond fishing.

-------------------------------------------------------
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.
MurphyMID
7 pounder on a rapala skitter pop topwater in frog green
bushman
AG
Lake Fork, 11.0 and 7.5 with walmart spinner bait 5 casts apart.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.