Apple iOS 16 text notifications bug

860 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TXTransplant
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Since upgrading to iOS 16, I'm no longer getting text message notifications on my lock screen. I don't get the banner with the first few lines of the text, and my phone doesn't buzz when the text comes in (I always have my phone on silent mode).

The only way I know I have a text message is if I unlock my phone and see the red number icon on the text message app icon.

This is also affecting my Apple Watch. I am not getting text message previews on that anymore, and I'm not getting the haptic notification when a text comes in. I do still get the little red dot at the top of my watch screen.

I have googled this issue, and it's been widely reported but not acknowledged by Apple. We are a couple versions into 16, and it hasn't been fixed.

I've tried everything I've found on Google to fix the problem and nothing is working. All of my settings are fine.

Any one else have this problem and been able to find a fix? It's super annoying because I'm completely missing text messages.
Sling Blade
AG
Turn off the Do Not Disturb or Focus mode. It drove me nuts, so I'm always trying to turn it off.
TXTransplant
It's off. Has been this whole time because I never set up a schedule.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Only things I can think of are your notifications somehow got turned off. Settings - Notifications - Messages - Allow Notifications

When my phone updated, it switched how my notifications were delivered from List to Stack. That might be it too. Instead of listing all notifications by app, it just stacks them all on top of each other. That's Settings - Notifications - List.
htxag09
AG
Do you have notification summaries on?

Didn't know this was a thing, but recently found out about it and activated it and wish I would have sooner.
YouBet
AG
TXTransplant said:

Since upgrading to iOS 16, I'm no longer getting text message notifications on my lock screen. I don't get the banner with the first few lines of the text, and my phone doesn't buzz when the text comes in (I always have my phone on silent mode).

The only way I know I have a text message is if I unlock my phone and see the red number icon on the text message app icon.

This is also affecting my Apple Watch. I am not getting text message previews on that anymore, and I'm not getting the haptic notification when a text comes in. I do still get the little red dot at the top of my watch screen.

I have googled this issue, and it's been widely reported but not acknowledged by Apple. We are a couple versions into 16, and it hasn't been fixed.

I've tried everything I've found on Google to fix the problem and nothing is working. All of my settings are fine.

Any one else have this problem and been able to find a fix? It's super annoying because I'm completely missing text messages.

Check Settings>Notifications>Messages and then scroll to bottom and check the Show Previews setting. It defaults to When Unlocked. That might be why they aren't showing on your locked screen.

I don't see anywhere anymore how to turn on Vibrate mode only. I sort of noticed a while back my phone no longer does this for me either. Not sure how to get that back or if you can.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Apple is notorious about changing notification settings on updates. Drives me crazy. It has gotten better with recent releases but there are some things about Apple I absolutely hate and this is one of them. I want next to no notifications. Like, text only and missed calls. That's it. But I've had others pop up in the past after a major upgrade.
YouBet
AG
While we are *****ing about Apple, the most confusing thing they have going right now is how your clock alarm works if you also use the Sleep Schedule feature. Alarm in two different places and if you change one it might not change the other and then I'll have the wrong music or alarm play depending on which alarm.

It's a confusing mess.
TXTransplant
Thanks for the replies. I checked all of those settings before posting, and they were are correct (ie, I should be getting the notifications).

I did several reboots and my watch seems to be giving me notifications now, but the phone still is not when the screen is locked.

If I get a notification on my watch, it's not a huge deal. But if I don't get notified in either device, I completely miss text messages.

Thankfully, none of the messages are important enough that this causes any big problems, but it's super annoying.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.