Help pick my next TV…

1,935 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by evan_aggie
AgsWin2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We moved into our new house in October and we have a media room. Looking for an 85" TV. The room has no windows so light shouldn't be a factor. Looking to spend $2,500 or less. Will be used for sports, movies, general TV and some gaming.

Here's a picture of what an 85" tv will look like in this room. Starting with a clean slate but ready to make this a fun room.
boy09
AG
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/80-83-85-inch

The LG C2 is pretty much the consensus for the best TV to buy right now across all the different TV review websites/articles. The 83" is a little out of your range at $3,500. You'd have to drop down to the 77" which is currently $2,500.

Samsung Neo QLED is probably your best bet that fits your size/price range.
AgsWin2011
AG
Yes that TV is nice and is definitely what I would choose but I'm having a hard time spending that much on a TV.

When we moved to our house before this, I had a $2,500 75" Sony that didn't survive the move. Made me sick to my stomach. Replaced it with a 75" Vizio P series that I got for $1k and it has been a great TV. It's our current living room TV.
FatZilla
AG
Ever looked into laser projection? They have some amazing short throw projectors now. No ceiling mounting or anything required.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/epson-epiqvision-ultra-ls500-4k-via-upscaling-pro-uhd-short-throw-laser-projector-4000-lumens-hdr-android-tv-sports-black/6429443.p?skuId=6429443
AgsWin2011
AG
Yes they have some nice short throw setups at NFM that I saw when we went there awhile back. Just the projector and cabinet was close to $6k. And then the projector screen itself isn't cheap. I originally wanted to go this route, but can't really justify the cost, especially since I don't know if the projector would last as long a TV.
FatZilla
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

Yes they have some nice short throw setups at NFM that I saw when we went there awhile back. Just the projector and cabinet was close to $6k. And then the projector screen itself isn't cheap. I originally wanted to go this route, but can't really justify the cost, especially since I don't know if the projector would last as long a TV.

I fixed the link above. Its in your price bucket and with it being laser, its lifespan is quite long on the estimates i have seen (20k hours). Linus tech tips did some recent reviews of this new generation of short throw lasers and they highly recommend them. This one can do 3D if that matters to you as well.

A screen shouldn't be more than 100-150, especially in the 85" range if you decide to stick to that (this short throw is a minimum of 100" screen though, just as a heads up). If you can fit a 120" (only needs 21" from wall for this), this projector handles that with ease.

Not sure on cabinets as thats all personal design choice for your room.
HossAg
AG
Mounting an 85" OLED sounds like a ****in nightmare. I was scared AF just getting my 65" OLED onto a tv stand.
kyledr04
AG
OLED is worth it even if you have to get a 75-77 instead of 85.
Forum Troll
AG
85 is massive. I own 2 of the C2 at 65 inches and it's an amazing picture.
Teddy Perkins
AG
I'd bump the budget up for a Laser TV and get a 100"+ screen, especially with a room without windows.

Otherwise, QD-OLED like the Samsung S95B.
hph6203
AG
My OLED has pretty bad burn in after 6 years. Don't even know where it came from. Says Network right in the middle of the screen and I don't watch a ton of broadcast TV. Just fair warning.
Agzonfire
Classic Texags thread.
$2500 budget? "Here's one that's $3500"
You want 85"? "How about 100"?" "Here's one that goes to 65" max"
Never change!
tk for tu juan
Is the word Food above the Network you see? The red logos of TV networks are the main culprit for burn-in, but it takes a lot of hours of constant watching for it to happen.

94DallasAG
AG
AgsWin2011 said:

Yes that TV is nice and is definitely what I would choose but I'm having a hard time spending that much on a TV.

When we moved to our house before this, I had a $2,500 75" Sony that didn't survive the move. Made me sick to my stomach. Replaced it with a 75" Vizio P series that I got for $1k and it has been a great TV. It's our current living room TV.

We have a 75" P series in our great room and 85" P series in our media room both hooked up to Vizio M series 5.1 sound bars. Love both setups. Vizio makes great products for their price points.
WES2006AG
AG
Keep in mind the 2023 TVs will start appearing over the next few months so there should be good deals to be had on the 2022 models like the C2.

I am still rocking my 2020 LG CX that I bought in 2021 for much cheaper than launch price and it is fantastic.
boy09
AG
WES2006AG said:

Keep in mind the 2023 TVs will start appearing over the next few months so there should be good deals to be had on the 2022 models like the C2.

I am still rocking my 2022 LG CX that I bought in 2021 for much cheaper than launch price and it is fantastic.
I just ordered a 77" C2 2 days ago. I got tired of waiting. Ordered through Greentoe, never used it before so i hope i'm not getting scammed... $2,249 with tax included and free shipping.
dabo man
AG
BRAVIA XR 85" Class X90K 4K HDR Full Array LED TV with Google TV (2022) for a mere $1999.99
https://electronics.sony.com/tv-video/televisions/all-tvs/p/xr85x90k

It's fun to spend other people's money!

(going to keep looking)
TMoney2007
AG
Agzonfire said:

Classic Texags thread.
$2500 budget? "Here's one that's $3500"
You want 85"? "How about 100"?" "Here's one that goes to 65" max"
Never change!
Imagine if apple made televisions,...

"I'm looking to spend $1000 on a tv..."
"Buy this $12,000 apple tv or its not worth buying anything at all!!!"

I think its pretty funny that there is a sentiment that 70-77" tv's aren't big enough. I've been getting progressively bigger TV's over the years (and I have a 77" now) but I've always considered myself to be a pretty ridiculous person when it came to my spending on home theater.
hph6203
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Is the word Food above the Network you see? The red logos of TV networks are the main culprit for burn-in, but it takes a lot of hours of constant watching for it to happen.

Definitely not Food Network. Think it was probably from Bally Sports. Another reason they suck. It wasn't a lot of hours for it to happen. It's not a logo at the bottom of a screen, but right in the middle from pausing a game (I think) and not getting back to it right away.

OLED is awesome, but I think the LED technology has come far enough that the risk of burn-in isn't worth the upgrade.
Nixter
AG
hph6203 said:

My OLED has pretty bad burn in after 6 years. Don't even know where it came from. Says Network right in the middle of the screen and I don't watch a ton of broadcast TV. Just fair warning.
Sounds like the perfect excuse to upgrade!

I've got a couple of OLEDs in the house but the TV my kids watch is a Sammy QLED specifically to avoid burn-in. To be honest, the TVs get watched so little and so infrequently I've gotta think we aren't at risk. Time will tell.
hph6203
AG
Just checked. It was actually SEC Network that did me in. Only really notice it on yellows/reds.

I'll probably get an 85" LED TV to replace the 65" OLED and repurpose this TV to a less used area.
evan_aggie
AG
boy09 said:

WES2006AG said:

I am still rocking my 2022 LG CX that I bought in 2021 for much cheaper than launch price and it is fantastic.
I just ordered a 77" C2 2 days ago. I got tired of waiting. Ordered through Greentoe, never used it before so i hope i'm not getting scammed... $2,249 with tax included and free shipping.

Congrats!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.