DirecTV Prewire question

709 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by dubi
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm helping my cousin prewire his house. I've got the Ethernet thing down but never pre-wired for DirecTV before. We are going to get a spool of RG6 and run the wires, but I have a couple questions.

1) Is the stuff in black all correct?
2) There are two bedrooms all the way at the other end of the house. Can we run one wire over there and then split and go to the two bedrooms (option #2) or do we have to run two wires (option #1). I assume we either have to run four wires (one to Genie, one to each bedroom) OR - it's ok to have two wires out of SWIM each with a splitter and two wires coming out of them.

Any other tips appreciated. TIA

rynning
AG
Other than questioning DirecTV in the first place, you're going to need a bunch of DECAs. https://a.co/d/84WeM5X

These carry both Ethernet and DirecTV signals.

Also, I think you have to go with Option 1 but not sure.
UmustBKidding
RG6 quad shield
Home runs only no downstream splitters is best
I I typically run to rg6's every place I have a receiver are genie poke me if you have more questions
Tailgate88
AG
rynning said:

Other than questioning DirecTV in the first place, you're going to need a bunch of DECAs. https://a.co/d/84WeM5X

First I've heard of a DECA - it seems like I can plug one into the router and one into the SWIM and it will provide internet for all the receivers? Why would I need "a bunch"? Or am I misunderstanding, and one is needed for every receiver?

UMBK, I emailed you.
rynning
AG
Tailgate88 said:

rynning said:

First I've heard of a DECA - it seems like I can plug one into the router and one into the SWIM and it will provide internet for all the receivers? Why would I need "a bunch"? Or am I misunderstanding, and one is needed for every receiver?

UMBK, I emailed you.
One for the router (with power) and every receiver.

fka ftc
Had DirecTV via dish for 25+ years and switched to DirecTV Stream 6 months ago. Better quality picture, way better interface, no STBs unless you want one.

Unless HSI is not available, I would just rely on streaming from here out. Completely future proof by just upgrading your service, Wi-Fi router and TV.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Tailgate88
AG
fka ftc said:

Had DirecTV via dish for 25+ years and switched to DirecTV Stream 6 months ago. Better quality picture, way better interface, no STBs unless you want one.

Unless HSI is not available, I would just rely on streaming from here out. Completely future proof by just upgrading your service, Wi-Fi router and TV.
This house is in the country and Internet is ok but not great currently - also they are long time DirecTV users and don't want to change.

I believe after researching and input:

1) The dish will have a built-in SWIM, so need one wire running to it.
2) That wire will go somewhere to a big splitter
3) Home runs of RG6 Quad shield from that splitter to where the Genie and every TV box will be.
4) No DECAs required because there will be an Ethernet from the router to the Genie.
FatZilla
AG
Honest question, why prewire? Just run conduits to each room from your determined media closet and let the cable provider run the cable and boxes. It will be harder due to being an old build but not impossible if you are already planning on running cable down the walls.

Also, does dtv off wireless boxes? I know dish network offers wireless joeys to save on this hassle to begin with.
https://www.directv.com/support/satellite/article/KM1046301/
fka ftc
FatZilla said:

Honest question, why prewire? Just run conduits to each room from your determined media closet and let the cable provider run the cable and boxes. It will be harder due to being an old build but not impossible if you are already planning on running cable down the walls.

Also, does dtv off wireless boxes? I know dish network offers wireless joeys to save on this hassle to begin with.
Excellent recommendation. Running smurf tube or even 2" conduit with no 90 degrees would go a long way to setting it up.

With DTV dish, the whole home genie only runs 5 (or 6) connected genie clients, which can be an issue as well as a large house or lots of walls.

Also, it appears DTV is moving away from the satellite approach.

Consider Starlink if out in the country.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Tailgate88
AG
FatZilla said:

DirecTV has wireless boxes but I always prefer a wire to no wire, especially when I can run said wire before the sheetrock goes up. We do have conduit installed but would rather go ahead and put the wires in place rather than having an installer crawling through the attic in a brand new house. I had one put a foot through my ceiling once.
fka ftc
Tailgate88 said:

FatZilla said:

DirecTV has wireless boxes but I always prefer a wire to no wire, especially when I can run said wire before the sheetrock goes up. We do have conduit installed but would rather go ahead and put the wires in place rather than having an installer crawling through the attic in a brand new house. I had one put a foot through my ceiling once.
Only "hardwired" box I believe DTV still provides are the 4k genie that still use the coax. All others are wireless with an Rj-45 when no wireless.

Tailgate88
AG
fka ftc said:

Tailgate88 said:

FatZilla said:

Only "hardwired" box I believe DTV still provides are the 4k genie that still use the coax. All others are wireless with an Rj-45 when no wireless.
Yup that's what I have. Genie in the living room with a 4k wired and another 4k wired box in our bedroom.
dubi
AG
Quote:

I believe after researching and input:

1) The dish will have a built-in SWIM, so need one wire running to it.
2) That wire will go somewhere to a big splitter
3) Home runs of RG6 Quad shield from that splitter to where the Genie and every TV box will be.
4) No DECAs required because there will be an Ethernet from the router to the Genie.
This is exactly what we have at our house.

Big direct TV splitter in attic with RG6 quad shield to each location where we have a TV. We also have cat 5e drops in every room so that provided ethernet.

We dropped in all the cat 5e and RG6 during renovation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.