What do I need to know about curved monitors?

1,662 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Teddy Perkins
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am intrigued by the really wide curved monitors but have never used one. Does it look distorted at all? Is there a learning curve to acclimate to the curve?

I didn't want to buy one and have buyer's remorse.

Dell UltraSharp 49 Curved Monitor - U4919DW

I am open to any and all recommendations. TIA
BadMoonRisin
AG
Windows 10/11 have some really nice snap features from side to side that help it act like two monitors with the option to combine when you want to. I could never go back to dual monitors. Go for it.
javajaws
AG
Just be sure to wear sunscreen!
stridulent
AG
Are you wanting it for gaming?

If so, keep in mind that more pixels requires more graphics processing power.

The monitor you linked is only 60 hz (120 or higher preferred).

No one will want to watch screen recording and streaming because of the aspect ratio.
Eliminatus
AG
I have the 49in Samsung G9 and it is awesome. I remember the day I finally went to multiple monitors and swore I would never do anything else.

I now say the same thing about ultrawides. Zero regrets. If on a windows machine look up PowerToys app. It offers a degree of custom windowmaking that is unmatched and easy to use. If on Mac, get the Mac screen split app. Can't remember the name of it off top of head but it'll be the most starred one in app store. Yes, you have to pay I think $9 for it, because Apple. But I also consider it a must have. Not nearly as much control as PowerToys but enough options to satisfy most people I would reckon
dubi
AG
stridulent said:

Are you wanting it for gaming?

If so, keep in mind that more pixels requires more graphics processing power.

The monitor you linked is only 60 hz (120 or higher preferred).

No one will want to watch screen recording and streaming because of the aspect ratio.
This would be for work and photo editing. I don't game.
Stymied
AG
If that's the case, I think you would be better off buying two monitors with good color rendering. I doubt curved monitors will have anywhere near the color gamut that you can get from a set of good "art" monitors (BENQ, ASUS, etc).

I use two of these for my home office and photography work:

https://www.asus.com/us/displays-desktops/monitors/proart/proart-display-pa329cv/

I think it will give you as much if not more real estate and likely much better color rendering.

In addition, I would personally be disappointed in the pixel density of the monitor you mentioned. 109 is not a lot, especially if you have used higher density displays in the past.
evan_aggie
AG
Monitors for gaming vs art:graphics are very different. As just said: you want something aimed at color accuracy.

Games monitors are more about low latency performance and immersion (for the Odyssey etc)
fig96
AG
Yeah, a "quad HD" display at that size is not great quality.

For eye health and generally enjoyable viewing there's no justification to go below 4K, even if it costs a bit more.
aezmvp
I love my 49 inch G9. It's awesome for video editing, spreadsheets etc. But for photo editing avoid curved and do 4k or better.
evan_aggie
AG
Actually, I may even recommend a 5K/6K if you can. My LG 27 5K is shockingly crisp, but the company paid for it.
aa4136
What kind of monitor / setup would you guys recommend for typical office use. I spend lots of time looking at electronic medical records and dictating for my job. Usually like to have 2 different windows open side by side to do so.
aezmvp
aa4136 said:

What kind of monitor / setup would you guys recommend for typical office use. I spend lots of time looking at electronic medical records and dictating for my job. Usually like to have 2 different windows open side by side to do so.

34" QHD screen. Tons out there. Monoprice regularly has excellent deals.
fig96
AG
evan_aggie said:

Actually, I may even recommend a 5K/6K if you can. My LG 27 5K is shockingly crisp, but the company paid for it.
Agreed, I'm on a 5K Apple display and it's pretty incredible. But even 4K is a huge step up from HD.
falconace
dubi said:

I am intrigued by the really wide curved monitors but have never used one. Does it look distorted at all? Is there a learning curve to acclimate to the curve?

I have two of these, one at the office and one at home. I love them. Like the poster said, it's hard to go back to regular monitors.

This monitor isn't curved much. It's not distorted. Everyone that sees it wants one at the office.

Only two issues I've uncovered:

- you can't really share your whole screen as no one can see it on the other end. Have to share windows.

- if you wanted to have something full screen (e.g. YouTube video on one screen while having something else on another you can't. While you can snap to windows you can't maximize a video player to a portion of the screen.

You can run two inputs and then it will act as two 27" monitors but I've never had the need because the one big one worked better than I thought.
Teddy Perkins
AG
falconace said:

dubi said:

I have two of these, one at the office and one at home. I love them. Like the poster said, it's hard to go back to regular monitors.

This monitor isn't curved much. It's not distorted. Everyone that sees it wants one at the office.

Only two issues I've uncovered:

- you can't really share your whole screen as no one can see it on the other end. Have to share windows.

- if you wanted to have something full screen (e.g. YouTube video on one screen while having something else on another you can't. While you can snap to windows you can't maximize a video player to a portion of the screen.

You can run two inputs and then it will act as two 27" monitors but I've never had the need because the one big one worked better than I thought.

Check out the Windowed extension for chrome to maximize the YouTube player to a window. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/windowed-floating-youtube/gibipneadnbflmkebnmcbgjdkngkbklb
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.