Obtain Administrator Rights on MY Laptop

740 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by txyaloo
RC_57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm the sole user on a 1 year old Dell Lpatop, Windows 10 Pro OS

I need to install the downloaded printer driver.

When I try to, get a po-up: "You do not have sufficient privileges to install the program. Log on with administrator privileges."

I tried right mouse and Run as Administrator the driver. No go, same pop-up.

When I open Computer Mangement // Local Users and Groups // Groups I see four entries:

Administrator
AzureAD\my name (S-1-12....
S-1-12-1-3170728...
S-1-12-1-356...

I'm the owner and sole user of this laptop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all
Koko Chingo
AG
It might be a username mismatch.

Click you Windows icon

Type CMD

The command prompt app should appear click on it to open it

When the command prompt opens - a black screen appears and give you some text. There should be a line similar to what you see below.

Your username is in the same position as where I typed the word "example123" (minus the quotes). If this was real, my username would be "example123" (minus the quotes) and the same password I use to login to the machine.

If what you listed is the same as the command prompt then it is probably not that…..

C:\Users\example123>

RC_57
AG
Thanks Koko

Nope, my name appears:
CMD
c:\Users\my name>

So if I'm following you correctly, I AM signed on as the Administrator, correct?
Koko Chingo
AG
You can always try Administrator or .\Administrator as the username. That usually requires the setup password which may or may not be the same as your login.

I went back and re-read. When you said sole user, I was thinking 'admin rights'. If your account had admin rights the name mismatch may have been the thing.

First lets check and see if you actually do have admin rights associated with your username:

Check this link: https://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/how-to-check-if-i-have-administrator-rights-windows-10.html

If you have admin rights and it is asking for the default administrator password, then check this link out: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-asks-for-administrator-password/df02b05b-f081-451f-8ee7-36c73ed2ba1a

txyaloo
AG
RC_57 said:

I'm the sole user on a 1 year old Dell Lpatop, Windows 10 Pro OS

I need to install the downloaded printer driver.

When I try to, get a po-up: "You do not have sufficient privileges to install the program. Log on with administrator privileges."

I tried right mouse and Run as Administrator the driver. No go, same pop-up.

When I open Computer Mangement // Local Users and Groups // Groups I see four entries:

Administrator
AzureAD\my name (S-1-12....
S-1-12-1-3170728...
S-1-12-1-356...

I'm the owner and sole user of this laptop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all
Is it attached to a corporate network? AzureAD in front of your username means your user is part of a domain managed by some organization. There are apps that will reset the local admin account's password, but if you are part of a corporate org, using them is typically grounds for termination even on personally owned devices.

Hiren's BootCD works well. You can also load it on a USB flash drive

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/howtos/
RC_57
AG
txyaloo, I have in the recent past VPNed/HVDed onto a corporate VPN and their domain, but it was on my (my company's) laptop.

So I understand what you've pointed out, but it shoud not bear on my rights on this laptop.

I'll check out the link you provided. Thanks
RC_57
AG
Thanks Koko, I'll follow those suggestions.
txyaloo
AG
Load that up on a flash drive and follow the instructions in their How To for resetting an admin password. It works well. Should take you ~5 minutes
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.