Windows 10 to 11 + computer upgrade

683 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by bigtruckguy3500
stridulent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey, folks.

I'm a bit dated on my technical knowledge and could use some insight into something I'd really like to do.

I am upgrading the hardware of my Windows 10 desktop and switching from Intel to AMD (new motherboard, RAM, CPU, and GPU).

With this switch, I expect its best to start with a fresh install of Windows and I figured why not go ahead and move to Windows 11.

Is it at all possible to transfer my Windows 10 settings and installed programs over to a fresh install of Windows 11?
DallasTeleAg
The Windows 11 upgrade is free. Just install windows 10 and then choose the option to upgrade.
stridulent
AG
I already have Windows 10 installed on my current machine.

Are you saying I should:
  • Backup the current Windows 10 installation
  • Install a new Windows 10 on the new machine
  • Restore the backup from the old machine to the new machine
  • Upgrade to Windows 11 on the new machine
DallasTeleAg
I mean... I guess you can.

I've done many clean installs in the past, and i've never backed anything up. I just do a fresh install and then reinstall all the programs I need. I guess I just don't keep much on my computer other than some games and a few programs I always need, but can easily be downloaded in 30min to 1 hr.

Backing my system up and then doing a system install from that backup is just not something I do, so don't have any experience in it.
Wildmen03
AG
Make sure the hardware is Windows 11 compatible. It "should" run on almost everything, but if it fails the hardware test, then you'll have a few extra steps to take in order to install 11.

I've upgraded to 11 with no issues and I've done a clean install. I prefer a clean install since my computers tend to get bogged down with extra crap I install over the years but don't use anymore.
Reveille
AG
https://www.ubackup.com/articles/install-windows-11-on-unsupproted-hardware.html
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bigtruckguy3500
I don't know about windows 10, but in general switching hardware like a motherboard will typically result in Windows being unable to boot up. You will need a new install of windows 10 with the new hardware, even if you use the same hard drive.

At least that was the case when I tried it with both windows XP and windows 7.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.