Should I buy a PS5?

2,987 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Comeby!
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just got a notification from Amazon that I have 72 hours to buy one. I guess I opted into that at some point and my name came up in the queue.

I'm second guessing buying one now that they have released their catalog to Steam. Is there a reason why I should still pull trigger on it? Only reason I was going to buy one was to play some of their exclusive content. That no longer seems to be an issue unless I'm missing something?

Is the PS6 about to come out?
bluefire579
AG
PS6 is years away (I'd wager at least 4-5), so I wouldn't worry about that.

In terms of whether you should, it's always personal preference. The only definitive benefits for consoles over PC are exclusives (which are timed now, so it's a matter of wanting to play now versus months from now) and the fact that Sony has quality gates for games that Steam doesn't have. Otherwise, there are few things a PS5 has that you can't do with a PC.

Personally, I like having consoles and I enjoy my PS5. I think if you want one, it's worth going for.
YouBet
AG
Other thing to factor is that my PC is actually a little dated at this point and my monitor is not 4K. My Xbox is an Xbox One X so it's dated too. This would upgrade one of my devices to latest tech.

Problem now is fitting the damn thing in my existing setup. It's rather large.
bluefire579
AG
It is. I have mine next to my PS4 and it just dwarves the thing.

Yeah, if your PC is dated and you're not upgrading anytime soon, I'd say definitely go for it.
aezmvp
Two questions: does playing an exclusive right away matter much to you? Do you travel?

If the answer on exclusives is yes, get the PS5.

If the answer to the second is yes, ignore the PS5 and get a Steam Deck. It will play most current titles outside some FPS with anti cheat (Fortnite) comparably and you can dock it like a switch. For travel it's flat out amazing. I've never had a piece of tech I've liked more. Total convert.

PS5 is awesome though!
ac04
definitely yes, it's awesome. what would be the reason not to?
YouBet
AG
ac04 said:

definitely yes, it's awesome. what would be the reason not to?

I'm looking for a reason not to! And not finding one! Lol.
El_duderino
Why not upgrade your pc instead with that $550? Or would it be too much of an overhaul?
FatZilla
AG
Yes. The only thing to consider is the recent rumblings of a redesigned ps5 slim (no disc) with much better overall cooling coming soon.
YouBet
AG
El_duderino said:

Why not upgrade your pc instead with that $550? Or would it be too much of an overhaul?

I think it would be more than that. Would need to upgrade GPU and monitor to get equivalent upgrade. Granted, I haven't priced that so that's a good point.

I specifically bought a custom PC with a massive whisper quiet case that allows me to do that. It's actually the more logical thing to do.
El_duderino
What's your current monitor?
kyledr04
AG
Yes they're great
YouBet
AG
El_duderino said:

What's your current monitor?

Acer Predator 27 in.
Comeby!
AG
I'd probably get it. Just got a new Pc with an i7 but not a stout of enough graphics card and COD on Steam was ridiculously slow. I'm holding out as well. Have a PS4.
El_duderino
Assuming it's 1440p, I'd just use that full budget on a gpu
DallasTeleAg
I bought a PS5 originally because I had the PS4 and thought their exclusives were better during the last gen. I also love the PS5 DualSense controllers. They are far superior to the xbox controllers. That is the primary reason I pre-ordered Hogwarts Legacy on PS5 instead of Xbox.

I decided to buy an Xbox Series X when I had the chance because all upcoming Bethesda games are Microsoft exclusives. Also, their GamePass is pretty awesome.

But I'm also not a poor and don't have someone telling me I can't buy them, so I go with:

El_duderino
Which i7 and what gpu?
Comeby!
AG
El_duderino said:

Which i7 and what gpu?

Not enough apparently. Lenovo laptop

YouBet
AG
Well that's kind of where i am. Frankly, cost is not an issue. I'm just trying to be efficient and sensible.
El_duderino
Yeah that's asking a lot from integrated graphics. I bet that cpu fan was going 100%
Comeby!
AG
El_duderino said:

Yeah that's asking a lot from integrated graphics. I bet that cpu fan was going 100%

It was.
permabull
AG
I finally got a PS5 last month and I think it was a great choice for me. I was an Xbox guy last generation so there are a ton of PS4 games I have never gotten around to playing.

I signed up for the mid teir PlayStation plus which gives me access to Miles Morales: Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War (2018), and the Final Fantasy VII remake along with a bunch of other games. I was able to buy the Nathan Drake Collection and Uncharted 4 for ps4 for used for about $12 and when you put in the Uncharted 4 disc you can upgrade to the PS5 version for $10 and it also unlocks Lost Legacy. Also if you download Miles Morales, you can unlock the PS5 version of Marvel's Spider-Man for $20.

I am not sure if I'll keep ps+ extra going into year two (I'll likely drop down to the lowest teir), but if you missed out a lot of the exclusives last gen, it offers a ton of value for year one.
YouBet
AG
Here is my hangup - I can get every one of those games on Steam now. Have already completed HZD on PC.

Dammit the clock is ticking!!!
El_duderino
If you can get all the PS games you want on steam, I'd just upgrade your PC.
SJEAg
AG
My question is whether it's worth waiting for a slim version? Or some sort of mini update in the next year or so like a PS5 Pro?
DallasTeleAg
Also, you can quit being a pansy and play Bloodborne. Easily the best Playstation exclusive.
permabull
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Also, you can quit being a pansy and play Bloodborne. Easily the best Playstation exclusive.
Does that game have an easy mode?
DallasTeleAg
hypeiv said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Does that game have an easy mode?
All Souls games have an easy mode. You can summon help for every boss fight!
permabull
AG
YouBet said:

Here is my hangup - I can get every one of those games on Steam now. Have already completed HZD on PC.

Dammit the clock is ticking!!!

Upgrading the PC and buying those games will cost way more than the PS5 and a PS+ subscription and even if you use a dual sense controller on the PC I don't believe all the features will work the same as they do on the PS5.

I really can't imagine a scenario where you would be disappointed with the purchase, even if you do decide to upgrade the PC down the road.
Claude!
Can't speak specifically to the PS5, but I bought an Xbox Series X a few months ago. It's been a few months since I turned it on.
Comeby!
AG
I don't care about any of the other games. Just COD, specifically warzone.
ac04
just buy the ps5, it's like $500 (?) and it's the best console ever. hook it up to a big ass TV and have a ball. don't overthink it.
Comeby!
AG
Is it as cool as laserdiscs?
El_duderino
Once you game on a PC and monitor with high refresh rate, there's no going back to a console on a giant tv
Comeby!
AG
I started on PC with Doom 2, Quake, Heretic and Duke Nukem.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.