Anyone into retro gaming?

15,425 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by WGann3
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was close to buying a PS5 but didn't really want to drop that kind of coin, and some random YouTube video came up on current handheld gaming emulators. I ended up ordering a Retroid Pocket 3+ yesterday. The ability to play games from systems I used to have ended up being more appealing to me. I know I could have gone with a Steam Deck but this way I'll have something exclusively for old games I used to play, and it was only $150. There were several different options out there and I just thought the Retroid was the best option for me between the features and the price. I had no idea this was much of a thing these days until that video came up. I had a NES emulator on my computer back in college but that's the last time I really had anything to do with an emulator.

Anyone else do much of this?
What do you use?
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
aezmvp
FAT SEXY said:

I'm gonna transfer the guts into one of these transparent purple shells.

https://retrogamerestore.com/store/snes_purple_shell/

There are some really good restoration videos on YouTube if you wanted to clean up and restore the original.
Post removed:
by user
Max Power
AG
Nice. I have no idea what happened to my SNES since I don't remember getting rid of it, I also had MK2 and MK3. I still have my original NES down in the basement with my games, no idea if it still works. I gave the Wii and Gamecube to my sister years ago. I really want to get the emulation for Neo-Geo games. I always wanted one of those but only rich people could afford that, I just got to play their games at the arcade. I can't remember what the console cost but I think the games were like $200 each IIRC. Emulation would be a good way to experience some systems I never had a chance to own.
lb3
AG
Do text based adventure games and/or MUDs count as retro gaming?

BrazosDog02
AG
I just bought command and conquer remastered as well as half life for pC. Is that retro? Havnt played yet but snagged them from the steam sale.
Max Power
AG
Not sure what would be defined as retro gaming. Console wise too me it would need to be from a system that is no longer manufactured. I would consider older computer games in that realm as well. I played the hell out of half-life in college and my roommate played a lot of command and conquer, it just never did the trick for me.

Got my email from DHL this morning, the Retroid should be arriving next week.
Pman17
AG
I just ordered the Miyoo Mini V2 from Aliexpress. It's one of the top emulator handhelds of the year. The Steam Deck (which I have) is the best emulator but it's big. I was going to order the Analogue Pocket but it's around $260 after taxes and shipping and those that ordered in December of '21 are just now getting theirs. The Pocket is bigger than the Gameboy Color and not very pocketable. So the Miyoo is like $50 and pocketable and I can have it next month.

The Fife
Am I into retro gaming? Hmm... Here at home there are
7 CRT TVs ranging from a 40 year old 11" Hitachi to a 36" Trinitron behemoth that weighs 240lbs
Rev 1-3 Atari 2600
NES, SNES, N64, 2 GameCubes, 3, maybe 4 Wiis, Wii U, Switch
Sega Master System, original and facelifted Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
TurboGrafx 16
Couple of PS1s, 3 PS2s, 2 PS3s, PS4 Pro
Halo green Xbox, OG and slim 360s, Xbox One

Two game and watches, Game Gear, Game Boy / Color, GBA, DS, 3DS XL, couple of PSPs

Games fill 41 feet worth of shelving. I'm not counting all that!
Claude!
lb3 said:

Do text based adventure games and/or MUDs count as retro gaming?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Post removed:
by user
The Fife
I should be able to 1Q next year. Construction in the den will need to wrap up first, then I'm putting in the flooring the room is actually supposed to have (my labor is free, I don't upcharge materials, and tile setting is fun). After that I can actually move stuff in.

The hard part is going to be figuring out some kind of stand for the giant Sony. I'm thinking about using a work table and some kind of shelving that fits the space underneath.
TexAgs91
AG
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Max Power
AG
I'd love to have an arcade machine in my home but that's where my wife would draw the line. I almost pulled the trigger once on a NBA Jam one, but decided against it. There are some companies out there that make awesome custom ones that are loaded with just about everything you could ever want but they're several thousand dollars.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Does playing RuneScapefor 20 years count as retro gaming?
jr15aggie
AG
I hear the xbox series s works amazing as an emulator and it's relatively easy and legal to do by turning it into a dev kit.
Rex Racer
AG
Converted an old Defender cabinet to MAME in 2000. Have hot swappable control panels and all the classics. Also have several console emulators on it. Have my original Pong and Coleco Vision, as well.
immortal_kumquat
If you're interested in legitimate collecting of classics and don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money, then you might look at the Evercade consoles. The games distributed on carts. They have a pretty eclectic collection including console, arcade, C64, and new releases for retro hardware. The Evercade is an emulation console with games on cartridges. The only major issue I have is with the included controllers, but it can be used with many 3rd party USB controllers. There are two portable versions and a home system.
Post removed:
by user
Max Power
AG
The Retroid showed up yesterday, not sure when I'm going to have time to set it up but the hardware is here. I went with the purple one that's supposed to look like the Gamecube.
kb2001
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Definitely will look into that.
It's pretty amazing what hydrogen peroxide and sunlight will do to restore the colors on old yellowed plastics.

This guy has done several videos about it, and his results are good. Getting peroxide that is highly concentrated enough is the real difference. This video uses a UV light, but some of his others use sunlight for a few days.

The Fife
The game room is easily a couple of months from being set up because it's not even fully built yet, but here's the box collection from systems and random stuff like Halo 3 and a Commodore VIC 20.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
Damn. I miss my Gamecube
The Fife
These are mine and my brother's from black friday 2003. I got up at 5AM so I could run off and grab a couple of the ones that came with the Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition disc. It has 1, 2, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask.

They had a pallet of them at Walmart that was disappearing right before my eyes so I snagged these and high tailed it out of there.

I ended up doing the same right after Christmas 2007. Visiting family in Tyler and went with my cousin's kid to Best Buy so he could spend his gift card. They had just brought out a big stack of Wiis that was going fast so I grabbed one for me and another for my brother as fast as I could. I also bought my brother the PS2 in January 2001 when they were still unobtainium. Late evening trip to the College Station Target and what the hell, I'll swing by the electronics section and they had one sitting there. I'm not sure the little guy understood how lucky he was.
Proposition Joe
Artwork just completed, won't be long now.

Post removed:
by user
ExPLK
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Very nice. Here is the one I built.
https://imgur.com/a/yNeCnrv
Scriffer
AG
I've got one with a handful of games I'd be willing to unload if you're interested
Tibbers
how much would y'all value a SNES still in its box? It's an old Super mario world snes. Found it in the attic, forgot I had it.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
Probably nothing. Feel free to pay me and I'll get rid of it for you
-Ben There/R.C.
Bregxit
AG
ExPLK said:

Proposition Joe said:

Very nice. Here is the one I built.
https://imgur.com/a/yNeCnrv
Details por favor! Am I mistaken or does you artwork change with which game is being played?
Bregxit
AG
kb2001 said:

FAT SEXY said:

Definitely will look into that.
It's pretty amazing what hydrogen peroxide and sunlight will do to restore the colors on old yellowed plastics.

This guy has done several videos about it, and his results are good. Getting peroxide that is highly concentrated enough is the real difference. This video uses a UV light, but some of his others use sunlight for a few days.

8 Bit Guy's retrobrite process is pretty solid. His channel is much fun to watch. Takes me back to the good ole days!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.