Laptop Recommendation Needed

1,211 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by IslandAg76
aa4136
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Been a while since I've looked for a laptop replacement. I'd like to take advantage of Cyber Monday deals if possible.

I'm in health care so would mainly used for doing clinic notes on a web-based electronic medical record from home. Would also use for occasional Zoom calls and streaming. No gaming, photo/video editing, etc. Battery life and some degree of portability would be a priority. Must be Windows based for some medical applications.

Would be looking for between $500 - $1000. Would consider used and refurbished.
satexas
satexas
AG

http://www.newegg.com

I'm big on HP laptops... have had best brand luck with them in refurbs and otherwise... and I've purchased over 50 off of there across the last 5-10 years for various clients. Never a return.

1. Make sure it's NOT a 'celeron' processor if Intel
2. Make sure it has 16GB RAM (anything over that is overkill, anything under is bad)
3. Make sure it has an SSD or nvram/m.2 hard drive - NOT a spinning drive
4. If Intel, make sure it's an "i5" or "i7".. not an "i3". The gigahertz speed is whatever.
5. Windows 10 vs 11 is a 'whatever'. You don't need "Windows Pro"... "Windows Home" is fine... you're not connecting to an office domain controller... and if you do want to later, you can just upgrade it internally by paying an upgrade fee.

6. I only buy 17" screens, but you may want the smaller one. A touchscreen is 'whatever'. If you want the kind where you can bend the screen 100% so it's like a touch tablet, look at the "HP ENVY" series.

Other than that, you're very safe. Should be able to spend $300-600 to get what you want.

Laptops aren't forever anymore, they're disposable as heck... so don't shop like you have to have the bestest-baddest-l33test laptop.

Gonna have to flush the toilet, but that's one expensive poo.
aa4136
Extremely helpful...thank you!
SquanchyAg
look at the HP victus (sku #6503849) at best buy. add up to get 16gb ram and you should be all in for $479 or so.
aa4136
As a follow up, I used much of your advice..

...but went even cheaper route and got a used Lenovo Thinkpad T480 off of Ebay for $250 from some guy selling in bulk. Got one for my brother too.

I think should last me plenty of time.
IslandAg76
AG
Slight deviation of thread- is there a way to move everything from old to new computer...data, programs, etc.
Almost impossible for me to find and reinstall all the programs/apps
Wildmen03
AG
Easiest way is to clone the old drive to the new drive. I use Minitool partition wizard myself.
dubi
AG
IslandAg76 said:

Slight deviation of thread- is there a way to move everything from old to new computer...data, programs, etc.
Almost impossible for me to find and reinstall all the programs/apps

I use Fab's auto backup. Link

You "export" files from the old computer to an external drive. Then on your new computer you "import" files and it puts then into the proper folder org. This is fantastic and I've been using it since 2016.

This is different from Wildmen03's suggest to clone the drive. I load all the software fresh and use this only for all my personal files.

IslandAg76
AG
Thanks-so cloning moves the programs, the second way doesn't-correct.
dubi
AG
IslandAg76 said:

Thanks-so cloning moves the programs, the second way doesn't-correct.

Correct. Cloning moves programs.

I prefer to start fresh on the operating system and program installs with a new computer.
IslandAg76
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.