Pixel 7 / Pixel 7 Pro

4,193 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by RockwallAg99
cr0wbar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was waiting for someone else to make this thread - so I'll haphazardly make it.

Google Store - Pixel 7

Since there's probably dozens of us Pixel users - anyone have any thoughts on their launch phones so far?

Seeing good things RE the P7's Tensor 2 chip

MW03
AG
Pixel 5 here. I have never had an IPhone, but I was seriously considering the switch just because I haven't been terribly pleased with the tower service on Google Fi. I was going to jump with the rest and just go ATT and IPhone and be done with it.

Then campaign season hit, and I couldn't bear the thought of being without the auto call screen.

They they released the Pixel 7 Pro.

And now I'm having my doubts about everything.
jagouar1
AG
I'm on the Pixel 6 here, no reason to upgrade until next year. But I am starting to see alot more pixels in the real world and I think it helps they have a unique design that stands out.

Google really is getting close to building an ecosystem that competes with apple so itll be interesting to see if they can show what has always been the problem with google and that is the commitment to sticking with an idea.
TX_AG_10
AG
Love my Pixel 7. Upgraded from the 6 because the trade in was ridiculously good. My 6 was a little buggy but the 7 has been nails so far.
IrishAg
I was a pixel 5 user, but it physically died due to the battery swelling enough to pop the screen out of the housing. Which is expected I guess, since there wasn't anything Google would do about it? Moved over to an iPhone for the first time and the quality is worlds better. There are things that I find more annoying or that I miss (call screening being #1), but overall it's been an actual upgrade. I'm honestly a bit sad about that fact, because I've been android since day 1. But quality and reliability are a different level
OasisMan
AG
I just went from 5 to 7pro

Battery & pix quite a bit better

I used to be on Fi, changed to US Mobile, quite a bit better
Howard Roark
AG
I'm still on my Pixel 3! I've had zero issues with it, but agree with the poster that said tower issues can be frustrating on Google Fi. When traveling globally with various groups I've consistently been the only one who had good cell service because I'm on Fi though - so I stay for the cheap and easy international service. I'm thinking about upgrading to the Pixel 6a or 7 here soon so definitely interested in y'all's thoughts.
AustinAg2K
I'm Pixel 6, coming from a Pixel 4 before that. I love the Pixel. I laugh at my wife everytime she gets a spam call/text on her iphone. I also just find the UI easier to use than her iphone (or my ipad), but that could be because I've been using Android since the beginning.
Marsh
AG
I have the pixel 6 pro. Have not been a fan and I'm actively looking for my next upgrade (whereas I usually keep my phone for 3-4 years).

For as much as the pixel is advertised as limited bloatware, there is a surprising amount of crap you can't disable/uninstall. Even worse, some of the things you can disable totally screw up your system. For example, I wanted to use Google wallet but every time I opened it, the app would immediately crash; turns out, I disabled an unrelated Google app that was causing wallet to not work properly. Only way to figure it out was trial and error...

I'm currently dealing with an issue where I can't add contacts to my phone book (seriously?). Still have no idea what app I've disabled to not allow my phone to save a new contact... Ludicrous situation, though.

Even with the massive amount of bloatware, I'd choose the galaxy over this.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TX_AG_10 said:

Love my Pixel 7. Upgraded from the 6 because the trade in was ridiculously good. My 6 was a little buggy but the 7 has been nails so far.

Have they fixed the bug where the screen would turn itself on right after turning it off, when the tap to wake was enabled?
TX_AG_10
AG
I guess so. I don't recall having or seeing that issue.
Iowaggie
AG
Marsh said:

I have the pixel 6 pro. Have not been a fan and I'm actively looking for my next upgrade (whereas I usually keep my phone for 3-4 years).

For as much as the pixel is advertised as limited bloatware, there is a surprising amount of crap you can't disable/uninstall. Even worse, some of the things you can disable totally screw up your system. For example, I wanted to use Google wallet but every time I opened it, the app would immediately crash; turns out, I disabled an unrelated Google app that was causing wallet to not work properly. Only way to figure it out was trial and error...

I'm currently dealing with an issue where I can't add contacts to my phone book (seriously?). Still have no idea what app I've disabled to not allow my phone to save a new contact... Ludicrous situation, though.

Interesting. I was thinking about switching from Samsung to the Pixel.

How has the battery life been in Pixel?
Marsh
AG
Iowaggie said:

Marsh said:

Interesting. I was thinking about switching from Samsung to the Pixel.

How has the battery life been in Pixel?

Better than my experience with Samsung. I really think the "battery saver" is a home run with the pixel and legitimately increases my battery life substantially while losing very little functionality.

Samsung isn't bad, by any means, but I think it is one of the things I've enjoyed about the pixel.
JSKolache
AG
No comment on 7, rocking the 5a for about yr and switched from Fi to Mint. No complaints, 1/3 the price.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Was really happy with my Pixel 5 and just upgraded to a pixel 7. I'm liking it so far, although I still think that if it were the same size as the 5 it would be perfect. I would have gone for the pro because of the better camera but i decided it was way too big.

The biggest reason I decided to upgrade was because I was interested in the watch and with the trade in offer plus store credit and some coupons I got emailed it is going to end up costing less for both a new phone and the watch than the base price of just the watch.
The Fife
Did they add removable storage?
cr0wbar
AG
Have a coworker with a 6 Pro. I've heard the 6's were pretty buggy all around. That's why I'm real curious how these new Tensor chips perform.

Waiting to see how these launch 7's are after a few weeks. I came from a Pixel 4 -> iPhone 12 mini, but I'm ready to make the jump back to the pixel software.
Yellerjacket
I have the 5a and have never had a single problem with it. Best phone I've ever owned.
Never got the 6 because I always saw negative reviews.
Waiting a little bit on the 7, but will probably get it sooner or later.
I plan on staying in the Pixel ecosystem as long as they keep it going.
texsn95
AG
4a non-5g here, no issues really, no need to upgrade, does what I need it to do.
AgsMyDude
AG
MW03 said:

Pixel 5 here. I have never had an IPhone, but I was seriously considering the switch just because I haven't been terribly pleased with the tower service on Google Fi. I was going to jump with the rest and just go ATT and IPhone and be done with it.

Then campaign season hit, and I couldn't bear the thought of being without the auto call screen.

They they released the Pixel 7 Pro.

And now I'm having my doubts about everything.

Pixel 5 user here and the auto call screen is probably the best phone feature I've ever had.

I'd even take a camera-less phone as long as it has call screen
double aught
AG
Pixel 3 was almost certainly my favorite phone I've owned. Worked great for the entire 2+ years I used it. I switched to an iPhone 13 pro this year which is also very good. Battery life is definitely better, but spam calls have increased too. It was also more expensive.
Ark03
AG
I preordered the Pixel 7 Pro, and I've been using it with AT&T since it arrived. I came from a 4a.

I love everything about it. It's not going to beat every flagship in every category, but it's pretty darn good, especially if you can get it at the Black Friday sale, plus a few hundred for a trade-in. I also got $200 in Google store credit for preordering, so I'm trying to decide if I finally want to jump on the smart watch bandwagon with a pixel watch, or pick up a couple of cameras or something.
Peter Klaven
AG
I upgraded from the pixel 6 to the 7 due to the ridiculous trade in value ($29 out of pocket) and am very pleased so far. The 6 is an ok phone but the 7 has been pretty dang good, especially at it's price point.
12thAngryMan
AG
Where are y'all seeing the crazy trade in deals? I've got a 6 pro, and while it's been generally good, I would consider upgrading if it's really cheap (mainly due to fingerprint scanner issues).
Ark03
AG
I think the best offers I've seen have all been direct from Google. I got $400 for an old 4a, plus $200 in Google store credit. Trade in values keep changing, but it looks like you could still get close to $500 for a Pixel 6

https://9to5google.com/2022/11/17/pixel-7-trade-in-value-nov-2022/

Edit: looks like $550 for a 6 pro.
AliasMan02
AG
Been trying to skip a gen, but they're making it so cheap I may have no choice.
Iowaggie
AG
Do Samsung watches work with Pixel phones?
AliasMan02
AG
First post from the 7 Pro. Was just too cheap to pass up. Camera improvements look legit.
AliasMan02
AG
Iowaggie said:

Wife had a smartwatch by a third party and, be warned, that thing was supported for maybe a year before it stopped getting updates. A Samsung watch may be different, but worth looking into.
danieljustin06
AG
I have the Samsung galaxy active 2 and a pixel 7 (6 before). It works just fine. It works with the Google apps, but I think you can install the Samsung default apps if you really want to use them.
Nom de Plume
AG
Iowaggie said:

Yes.
wessimo
AG
My wife has had a bunch of problems with her Pixel 6 dropping voice & data connection, Bluetooth link, etc. Spent hours on the phone with tech support with no resolution. There's a deal to upgrade to the Pixel 7 for $20 (plus ~$40 in tax) so she jumped on it.

ETA deal link: https://slickdeals.net/f/16236457-trade-in-128gb-google-pixel-6-get-128gb-google-pixel-7-unlocked-phone-20-free-shipping
cr0wbar
AG
Pupdate:

Have had the Pro 7 for about 3+ weeks now. Coming from an iphone mini 12 - the size (Twss) took some getting use to. It's taking great photos, snappy UI, really missed the call screening (although - sometimes 1-2 calls do get through - I'll have to look more into that). Haven't had the chance to test out the 'Hold for me' feature just yet. Have only experience one app crash - that's been trying to post to twitter. Other than that - the apps on it have been really good.

My biggest disappointment is non phone related. Apple Carplay is far and away more user friendly and overall prettier when hooking up to the car. But I did just see an announcement that they are pushing a massive Android Auto update to make the UI fullscreen.

The fingerprint is fast enough - I wish face unlock was juuuust a bit quicker/more reliable. I can only assume that will get better.

I DID get a Pixel watch and it's been overall decent. I like the size and weight of it - the daily battery is terrible (read the accuracy of the heart rate measurements) and that could be fixed with a relatively easy software push, right? But the charging takes <20 minutes so it aint really no thang. Gameifying working out really helps me stay on track - so the Fitbit portion of it is helpful.

Can't really get into Youtube music - but I have a free trial for 6 months so I'm going to pause my Spotify and try their ecosystem.
cjsag94
AG
My wife and I have been Pixel users for a few years. Happily using the Pixel 3XL for a while, then went with 6 Pro earlier this year. She drops her phone frequently and finally rendered it inoperable. I hated almost from day 1 the size of the 6 Pro, so I took this opportunity to downsize. I went with the Samsung Galaxy s22.

I love the size of this phone...but I believe Samsung has just built an iPhone in that it does what it does and there really isn't anything extra you can set it to do. I didn't appreciate the full Android functionality of the Pixel until I switched over. I miss the call screening...I miss the Now Playing on the lock screen...I miss the swipe up and click screenshot...I miss the "heads up" warning when walking/texting...I miss the little temperature indicator on the lock screen...I miss the well implemented bed-time routine...just to name a few. And I absolutely believe, just like for iPhone users, that you don't know what you are missing if you have only ever been on those devices. I know now why the only thing iPhone users ever really brag about is that it just works, followed by complaining about the color of my text messages I send them.

At the end of the day, all of these things do what a phone does just fine, but it is the little extra details that differentiate 1 from the other. I was a little concerned with the early release issues Google always has, so I went with the Galaxy. I am super happy with the manageable size of the Galaxy, but I may pay the restocking fee and consider going with the Pixel 7 after all.
Iowaggie
AG
Updates on the 7?

Users still happy with it?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.