Troubleshooting a sonos speaker

890 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by RED AG 98
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw a flat panel sonos speaker at Ikea the other day and I thought about trying to hook it up to my record player. The problem I am running into is that it has no inputs other than power and cat5.

My current setup is my turntable to a pioneer SX1010 receiver which runs to my current speakers. I just wasn't sure if there was a method to get my sound output into the sonos ecosystem so I could play it through the flat panel speaker.
G Martin 87
AG
IKEA Symfonisk flat panel, right? Looks like Wi-Fi is the only connection method. If your receiver supports Wi-Fi or Airplay, you should be able to direct sound to it. I have a Denon receiver that can do that.
nai06
AG
G Martin 87 said:

IKEA Symfonisk flat panel, right? Looks like Wi-Fi is the only connection method. If your receiver supports Wi-Fi or Airplay, you should be able to direct sound to it. I have a Denon receiver that can do that.

Yep that's the one. My receiver however was brand new in 1974 so it isn't WiFi or Airplay compatible.
nai06
AG
For reference here is my receiver

lb3
AG
You could try something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/WiiM-Mini-Multiroom-Preamplifier-Assistants/dp/B09HC5GRKY/

With a simple RCA to 3.5mm cable:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Stereo/dp/B01D5H8JW0/
chet98
AG
Nothing helpful to add other than to say that receiver is a thing of beauty. Reminds me of the one my dad had / I grew up with.
nai06
AG
I'd love to upgrade to the pioneer sx-1980 but those are about 7-10k. I have some vintage harmon/kardon equipment to unload but nowhere near enough to get me to that level.
nai06
AG
Thanks! That night actually work.
aggiebq03+
Sonos Port is the way they have to get RCA cables plugged into the Sonos system.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/port

I'm overseas and don't have easy access to an Amp after mine finally died on me. Was looking at options and bought a Sonos Five which has a line in (3.5mm) my turntable is hooked up to. Turntable line out pre-amp isn't the best, but it works. Bought some other Sonos speakers for other rooms and so far loving how easy it all is now to get music anywhere I want. Wasn't cheap, but when wiring isn't an option because you rent in a cement block building, it was worth the cost.

My other speakers sit until I have a way to find a Sonos Amp and get it here. They didn't have those for sale where I'm at, so need to ship it in or wait until the next trip back home.
DallasTeleAg
If you are transmitting digitally, then why even use the record player? Just link spotify and move on.
aggiebq03+
DallasTeleAg said:

If you are transmitting digitally, then why even use the record player? Just link spotify and move on.

Because I have records I collected in Jr High and HS from flee market, yard sales, and some from family given to me. Some of them are older than I am, some are reprints.

It's fun to listen to them with my kids who weren't born until after the iPhone had been invented.
TPS Reports
AG
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/amp
nai06
AG
I just saw the price of the AMP. Damn that is pricey. I thought this would be a fun little thing to add to my office, I didn't expect to spend about a grand to do so.

Yeah maybe this isn't for me.
G Martin 87
AG
Sonos is a great platform if you want a completely wireless system. If you have legacy equipment that you don't want to replace, Sonos isn't the best choice.
TPS Reports
AG
Yeah definitely a pricey solution so just depends on the situation. I use the amp to incorporate 2 patio speakers into my overall Sonos system and initial cost sucked up front and there were probably other options, but has been golden over years how perfectly it works for my setup. Also, the gen 1 amp was a lot "cheaper" than this latest one.
TPS Reports
AG
Note, you might be able to find a used Gen 1 amp for way less. I didn't spend any time vetting but looks like there are several on eBay that could be had for < &200 or maybe even a lot less.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=168058&_nkw=sonos+amp+gen+1&_trksid=p2499334.m4084.l1313
RED AG 98
AG
I have a gen 1 Sonos Connect (ZP80) that is currently unused that I would sell for $40 + shipping. It's a slick little device and how I got into the Sonos ecosystem initially. It's very similar to the gen 1 Amp directly above but doesn't include the amp so you would need to connect to your existing amp/speakers or amplified speakers.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.