Cell Phone Plans

2,377 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TrustTheAwesomeness
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is there anything out there for just 2 people?

Looks like most of the major carriers (At&T, T Mobile) have a low cost per line with a minimum of 4 people.

We currently use Cricket and pay $80/month.

I'm guessing there is probably nothing out there where I can get a new phone with a trade-in without having to pay more $$ per month than I currently do.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
RyanFromTexas
I don't know where you are and carrier coverage varies greatly from metro to metro.

I'm on a grandfathered postpaid T-Mobile account with two unlimited lines for $80 with taxes. T-Mobile's coverage in 2022 is pretty solid in most places.

However, if I were to lose it or change I would go prepaid with AT&T. $300 bucks for 12 months with 16 GB per month and rollover (comes out to $25 per month). The coverage is very good throughout most of Texas and AT&T does a good of not treating prepaid network traffic as second class citizens (unlike Verizon/Visible/etc).
dummble
AG
Right now it is just the wife and I and we use the ATT prepaid plan for $300/yr each ($25/mo $50 total) but you have to prepay for the year. 8gb per month with roll over and they are doing 16gb now

It has been great and we are on year 4. no increases, no hidden costs or taxes. I get a text in september to reup and that's it. No issues with service or slow speeds. We buy our phones outright every 2 ish years
black_ice
I use red pocket. Pre pay. One line. $240 per year. So $20 per month. 8gb data and unlimited all the other stuff. Never had issues.
zooguy96
Yeah, no problem with pre-pay. Didn't know that was offered. Thanks.
Harbor Bay
Visible Wireless. $30.00 per line, unlimited everything. Taxes included.

Also US Mobile has good plans if you don't need a lot of data.
JSKolache
AG
Mint. Im not much of a data hog, so i use the $15 plan.
C@LAg
Mint. All day. every day.
zooguy96
C@LAg said:

How is Mint's coverage? I live in a somewhat rural area. Have no issue with Cricket.
C@LAg
zooguy96 said:

C@LAg said:

How is Mint's coverage? I live in a somewhat rural area. Have no issue with Cricket.
how is your tmobile coverage?

htxag09
AG
Just switched to xfinity. Have to have their home Internet but two unlimited lines for $60/month.
BMo
AT&T recently, not sure when, raised our rates after we had gone in a couple of months ago to lower them. The explanation is we are on the lowest priced plan they have. We tried Verizon several years ago and the service was dismal. I saw the above posts on the prepaid, but you must go into a store and keep your phone number. I have been considering switching to T-Mobile but reviews are all over the place. We have the T-Mobile home internet and it is great. I'm really getting tired of the way AT&T operates.
Harbor Bay
You can get a 2 week free trial of T-Mobile's service with US Mobile. Also with a new phone number.
AgShaun00
AG
anyone use patriot mobile?
UmustBKidding
You can get an account on circlein or other aggerator get whatever carrier or plan you want.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Mint mobile
khkman22
AG
dummble said:

Right now it is just the wife and I and we use the ATT prepaid plan for $300/yr each ($25/mo $50 total) but you have to prepay for the year. 8gb per month with roll over and they are doing 16gb now

It has been great and we are on year 4. no increases, no hidden costs or taxes. I get a text in september to reup and that's it. No issues with service or slow speeds. We buy our phones outright every 2 ish years

May have to switch. Currently have Cricket and only 10 GB for $90/mo for 3 lines. However, hotspot is $20 extra per mo if you want it. I don't need it often, but would be good to have it instead of signing up for a the unlimited plan for just a couple days of use.
Bobcat-Ag
Google Fi has an unlimited plan for $20/mo and you can get a pixel 6a for 15/mo with a replacement after 2 years.
Sea Speed
AG
Wife and I both on mint 10gb a month for $500 for the year and we love it. If you want to sign up I can give you a code and I believe we both get something for nothing with it.
zooguy96
Sea Speed said:

Wife and I both on mint 10gb a month for $500 for the year and we love it. If you want to sign up I can give you a code and I believe we both get something for nothing with it.
Yes, do that. You can list it here or PM me. I'll probably go with mint next month since I've already paid for Cricket for a month.
Sea Speed
AG
http://fbuy.me/tWs7t

We really like the service.
NPH-
AG
Is there a service like these for the Verizon network?

I'm sick of paying $300/mo.
Fenrir
NPH- said:

Is there a service like these for the Verizon network?

I'm sick of paying $300/mo.
https://www.tomsguide.com/reference/verizon-mvnos-what-are-they-and-which-is-the-best-option

I use totalwireless right now. I don't use a ton of data though so can't speak to how that part of their plans compare to others.
htxag09
AG
Do you have xfinity internet? We just switched to xfinity mobile and its $60/month for my wife and I, unlimited data. Verizon network
BMo
ATT making us jump through hoops to get this done. Chat gives a number to call. The number says it can only be done in a store. Went to an ATT store and was told only in corporate stores, this was a retail store. Where did you do this?
PincheDriller
AG
If you have phone that supports esim you can test drive T-Mobile for free.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial
dummble
AG
If I am remembering correctly I physically went into an ATT store to buy the sim card which you can also order online then activated it online at home. But I may well have done it in store the first time and online the second.

The ATT store in the back of Kingwood, no idea what level store they are.

Update - here is a slickdeals thread discussing the prepaid plan. Seems it all needs to be done online. So you go online, and checkout with a new number from your area, then when you get your sim card you call port activation center @ 888-898-7685 to have them port your regular number over -- let them know you just activated new prepaid service with a temp number and now you want to port your regular number over
BMo
I'm looking at a Samsung Galaxy S20 FE. Is anyone familiar with this phone?
double aught
AG
Bobcat-Ag said:

Google Fi has an unlimited plan for $20/mo and you can get a pixel 6a for 15/mo with a replacement after 2 years.
$20/month unlimited is only for four or more lines, per line. Doesn't apply to zooguy who only has two lines. It's $40/line in that case.
zooguy96
double aught said:

Bobcat-Ag said:

$20/month unlimited is only for four or more lines, per line. Doesn't apply to zooguy who only has two lines. It's $40/line in that case.
Yeah, that annoys me that they make 4 lines a low amount per line and 2 lines a much higher. I can't help that there are only two of us.
SandmanAg
AG
BMo said:

I have one, but just recently got it as a secondary phone. Let me know what questions you have.
BMo
I'm curious about whether it operates much the same as the other "S" phones and have you been satisfied with it. I don't buy the latest and wouldn't be considering if my S9+ wasn't beginning to act up. I want to buy outright and not make payments.
TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
BMo said:

My wife got one last October and has been happy with it. Battery life is good.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.