Indoor vs "outdoor" tv's

4,295 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking at installing a tv on our patio for football season and was curious how others have done using normal tv's outdoors? I have an older Panasonic plasma I'm looking at putting out there initially, it'll be under a patio roof and I can cover it when not in use. If it does break down it's a 10 year old set so I won't be too upset about it.

Would be interested in any anecdotal evidence about how long units like this have lasted outside for you or other recs and tips. Thanks!
agnerd
AG
Best bet is usually to put the new tv in the house, old tv outside. But plasmas aren't known for being bright. You want as much brightness as you can get for an outside tv. Absolute cheapest LED tv you can find would probably be a better option.
Nagler
AG
My dad had an regular TV in his outdoor kitchen. It was in a corner under a roof but no case or anything. I think he said it lasted about 12 years.

We've got one on our patio but it's in a cabinet of sorts. I looked at the outdoor TV's but I could but 5 or 6 regular TV's before paying for an outdoor version.

Assuming its got some sort of cover, go regular. TV's are cheap these days. You can always move it inside if a big storm is coming.
ausag
AG
agnerd said:

Absolute cheapest LED tv you can find would probably be a better option.

This! Been a few years now, but I spent less than $500 on a 50" Vizio LED a few years back.

Oh, and be sure to buy a cover for it. Will help against moisture and dust!
ORAggieFan
Get a cheap LED. My first lasted about 8 years with a cover. The only reason for outdoor is in full sun or extreme cold or rain.
Medina Co Ag
AG
I also ordered an LED for the outdoor kitchen, but did pay a bit of a premium for a solid waterproof cover below (also appears to be on sale at the moment). It has made it through several thunderstorms to date with no issues. I would recommend Elite level and above.

https://www.the-cover-store.com/outdoor-full-tv-cover
FatZilla
AG
Moisture will kill it within a year most likely by corroding the circuits. Removable covers will only help block direct water/wind from getting on it. Get a non removal cover like posted above.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Buy a cheap tv from costco and get 4-year warranty.
fig96
AG
Thanks all, sounds like getting a new cheap LED might be the best way to go. Appreciate all the info.
CapCity12thMan
AG
bought a 49" TCL Roku TV for back patio in the fall of 2018. Mounted on the ceiling, it gets 100% shade and no rain. I keep it covered when not in use. It was < $300 and still works today no issues.
fire09
AG
I have a 10 year old TV that sits outdoors, covered and in shade. Been out there for 3 years no issues. Brightness is key as previously mentioned.
tfunk02
AG
Here is a TV brightness chart. I'd go through the list until you find one in your budget.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/peak-brightness

I had a friend buy the cheapest LED at Walmart and you cannot see what's going on midday. It's on a patio with 15 feet of overhang, so brightness is key.
The Fife
Check the model number on the plasma. There are a few of the later ones that are still worth something for whatever reason. Might as well get something for it if it is.
AgCMT
AG
Anyone know how to keep the gnats out of the TV? They have an annual pilgrimage to our outdoor TV.
fig96
AG
It's a Panasonic plasma that was baller when I bought it but as it's 720p...yeah
fig96
AG
tfunk02 said:

Here is a TV brightness chart. I'd go through the list until you find one in your budget.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/peak-brightness

I had a friend buy the cheapest LED at Walmart and you cannot see what's going on midday. It's on a patio with 15 feet of overhang, so brightness is key.
Super helpful, thanks!
rjhtamu
AG
We bought a $180 TV from Walmart on a Black Friday deal, put it out on our back patio.
Has survived 3 years in Central Texas weather so far.
tfunk02
AG
The Fife said:

Check the model number on the plasma. There are a few of the later ones that are still worth something for whatever reason. Might as well get something for it if it is.
I have a Pioneer PDP-6010FD still. It's pretty dim though. It's been used A LOT. I wonder if it is worth anything?
Fenrir
The Fife said:

Helps keep the house warm in colder climates.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Cheap Roku TV for outside. Get a cover if needed. Plug into power and you're done - make sure you can get WIFI out there and that's it. You can use your savings to get something like an HDHomerun if you need OTA -> stream.

We bought a 50 inch TCL for around $300 last summer and it's fine and connects up to our access points inside the house with no problem and it is sitting on a stone fireplace.

You could probably replace it every year and still come out cheaper than buying a "made for outside" TV,
The Fife
I went back and looked again and the only ones that are worth anything any more are the later, higher end ones. It was something that came up in a lot of search results when I looked into what to do with the older/mid range one my parents had a couple years ago.
BCG Disciple
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Cheap Roku TV for outside. Get a cover if needed. Plug into power and you're done - make sure you can get WIFI out there and that's it. You can use your savings to get something like an HDHomerun if you need OTA -> stream.

We bought a 50 inch TCL for around $300 last summer and it's fine and connects up to our access points inside the house with no problem and it is sitting on a stone fireplace.

You could probably replace it every year and still come out cheaper than buying a "made for outside" TV,

The 2021 tcl series 6 units are great tvs with actual outside capable brightness (rank above 9 on the link from above).
tfunk02
AG
Mine was the 2nd to last year of the Kuro Pioneers. Kuro was one of the top ones but they stopped making them a few years before Panasonic stopped. Looks like they go for 700 to 900 bucks now... If you can find someone that will come grab the 150 pound hot box from your house.
Tabasco
AG
Cheap Vizio LED tv shade under cover (under eave and pergola with polycarb, never jacked with cover. Going strong 10-plus years
sanitariex
AG
Just wanted to chime in that TCL 6 series is the perfect outdoor TV. It's affordable, an unbelievable picture, and it's brightness is capable to actually watch the tv in the middle of the day, I catch morning sun on mine but I'm out there all the time drinking coffee watching it.
AggieFrog
AG
sanitariex said:

Just wanted to chime in that TCL 6 series is the perfect outdoor TV. It's affordable, an unbelievable picture, and it's brightness is capable to actually watch the tv in the middle of the day, I catch morning sun on mine but I'm out there all the time drinking coffee watching it.

Same here. 55" version mounted above outdoor fireplace. Works great.
nai06
AG
Another TCL tv owner here. I can't imagine spending the money on something fancier unless its actually going to be in the rain. Ours works like a champ 4 years in
Tabasco
AG
Tabasco said:

Cheap Vizio LED tv shade under cover (under eave and pergola with polycarb, never jacked with cover. Going strong 10-plus years
I wanted to add mine is right next to saltwater pool, but no issues with electronics. I view it as disposable, but it has lasted 10 years. Full disclosure, I had the same cheap vizio that only lasted a couple of years because a high wind swung the tv mount arm out in the perfect place where heavy rain waterfalls over our gutter and drenched it.... as in hours under an essential waterfall. I think they are both "32 that I got from Walmart for $125. Never had brightness issues, but no direct sunlight to screen.
htownag10
AG
"Outdoor" rated TVs are just sealed up which isn't good for them. Everything over heats since it can't breathe. Just go with a cheap TV. It'll probably save you money in the long run.
Iowaggie
AG
I'd be curious on how frequently people with outdoor TVs actually use it.

I'm sure anyone this far into the post probably does watch their outside TV, but I'd still rather almost watch inside, but it has been something I've wanted to do, but I'm not sure I'd use.
fig96
AG
Appreciate all the info here, thanks y'all.

Getting ready to order and have an installer coming next week, curious if anyone has strong opinions on the TCL 5-Series vs the 6-Series? It's a couple hundred dollar difference for the 65" and for something I probably won't use THAT often it's tough to justify.
tfunk02
AG
If I got the right models compared, the 6 is 2x the brightness of the 5. Could be worth the upgrade depending on your needs.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/tcl-5-series-s546-2021-qled-vs-tcl-6-series-r646-2021-qled/27426/27424?usage=1&threshold=0.10
LostInLA07
AG
I've had a cheap Roku TV outside with no additional covers (it's under the back patio roof so no direct rain) for several years and it's going strong. I think there's a wasp nest inside of it (killed the wasps with wasp spray) but it's still working fine.
fig96
AG
Gotcha, considering the location relative to the sun I don't think brightness will be a big issue but definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks!
Scriffer
AG
I hung a 32" TCL Roku TV on my porch four years ago. Used to cover it, but haven't bothered in over a year. Doesn't get direct sunlight, but lots of wind and dust blow in.

Still going strong, and I spent maybe $250 on it in 2018.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.