God of War - Ragnarok - 11/9/22

4,375 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Prime0882
FightinTexasAg15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Game has an official release date now. I can't wait, it's my most anticipated game for the rest of the year. The last one was phenomenal

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/07/06/god-of-war-ragnarok-launches-november-9-new-cg-trailer-revealed/

Editions:

Not a Bot
AG
I have never in my life ordered a "Collector's Edition" of any of these games, but this one might be an exception. There's some cool stuff in there.
FightinTexasAg15
AG

Cromagnum
AG
BOY
canadiaggie
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Man I might be stupid enough to buy this despite already having two controllers
bbattbq01
AG
Preload goes live tonight
FightinTexasAg15
AG
fav13andac1)c
AG
That was awesome! Better than expected. But man that was an expensive commercial.
92Ag95
AG
What is this "PS5" that you speak of?
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Reviews are looking good

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/yl6ley/god_of_war_ragnarök_review_thread/
bluefire579
AG
Decided to go with a hard copy for this one, looking forward to playing it
bbattbq01
AG
7 more mins… c'mon time…
spieg12
AG
Played a couple hours last night. The game looks so good on a 4K TV.
bbattbq01
AG
Looks great.
Combat feels smoother than GoW, which I guess is to be expected. I have been missing the quick turn around from the first game though… maybe that was something had to purchase off the skill tree and I haven't unlocked yet?
bbattbq01
AG
Google has revealed its now L1 + down…. And also now found it buried in the controller mappings that I hadn't bothered to look at lol
Cromagnum
AG
Outstanding game so far. I still love the dialog, especially Mimir and the dwarves.

"And how's life been treating everyone's favorite azure vulgarian."

"The **** you call me?"

LOL

FightinTexasAg15
AG
The first hour or so goes hard! About 5 hours in and it's as addicting as I remember GoW 2018 being. It's a ton of fun so far
degreedy
AG
I need to play the last GoW, you guys have got me hyped about this game!
bbattbq01
AG
Favorite quote so far "my Dad likes loot".
cr0wbar
AG
Bout 2 hours in. Gorgeous and fun as hell
bluefire579
AG
bbattbq01 said:

Favorite quote so far "my Dad likes loot".
I don't need a snack
bbattbq01
AG
I've been to five worlds I think now and I've got to say the environment designers knocked this out of the park. They all look so different and are all beautifully rendered.
Reed25
Am I only one that can't stand Atreus? He's such an annoying character I hope they develop him throughout the story which I would assume they would I'm around 6+ hours played I think.
Cromagnum
AG
Reed25 said:

Am I only one that can't stand Atreus? He's such an annoying character I hope they develop him throughout the story which I would assume they would I'm around 6+ hours played I think.

Did you play the 2018 version? Outstanding game but Atreus was 100x worse.
Reed25
Nah I didn't but I might have to because this game is amazing
Prime0882
AG
Reed25 said:

Nah I didn't but I might have to because this game is amazing
You have to be missing so much of what is going on if you didn't play the first one... lot of references to the 2018 God of War.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Is anyone here actually playing on PS5 using "Favor Quality" mode over "Favor Performance" mode? I'm using a basic 4K TV set-up and, to me anyway, the graphical differences are indecipherable while the frame rate differences are jarring.
Cromagnum
AG
Nope. I play every one of these on favor performance. I don't care about image quality if it runs like a stop motion film.
chase128
AG
I believe you have to bind Quick Turn manually to a touch pad swipe or a button in the Settings.

Anyway, I just started doing side quests in the first main area. The quests and story flow really well so far. The voice acting and writing is just as enjoyable as the first game.

Combat has been bugging me some and I need to vent about it. I couldn't really put a finger on it until I encountered my first "The Hateful" mini boss last night. I was playing on No Mercy but after about 30min of failure I turned it to Balance. I got through Sekiro and Elden Ring just fine but something about this game just isn't clicking for me.

I think it lies in the Parry/Counter attack mechanics. Parry/Counterattack is a trap, at least early game. The "reward" of Counterattacking is not worth it for several reasons:

1. You're animation locked during the Parry and the Counterattack.
2. There are no i-frames during these animations.
Combine those two factors together and in a fight against multiple fast moving enemies, parry/counter leaves you open big time.
3. The counterattack itself doesn't inflict much Stun damage to dangerous enemies (at least that Hateful mini-boss) and it also doesn't interrupt their current action. The counterattack feels like it hits like a wet noodle on dangerous enemies.
4. The counterattack is single target. The Shield Slam from the Stonewall Shield is a front cone AoE.

It seems like I'm supposed to be picking a shield style and upgrading that shield only, there's not a lot of upgrade materials to go around. So I want to pick a style and stick with it. Parry/counter against basic enemies isn't worth the effort either. The Shield Slam from the Stonewall is easy to execute and knocks most enemies in the air.

Hopefully, going with the Stonewall Shield going forward makes combat feel enjoyable all around.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Lunda's armor has been pretty solid for the early-mid game.

Game has been great so far!
Prime0882
AG
chase128 said:

I believe you have to bind Quick Turn manually to a touch pad swipe or a button in the Settings.

Anyway, I just started doing side quests in the first main area. The quests and story flow really well so far. The voice acting and writing is just as enjoyable as the first game.

Combat has been bugging me some and I need to vent about it. I couldn't really put a finger on it until I encountered my first "The Hateful" mini boss last night. I was playing on No Mercy but after about 30min of failure I turned it to Balance. I got through Sekiro and Elden Ring just fine but something about this game just isn't clicking for me.

I think it lies in the Parry/Counter attack mechanics. Parry/Counterattack is a trap, at least early game. The "reward" of Counterattacking is not worth it for several reasons:

1. You're animation locked during the Parry and the Counterattack.
2. There are no i-frames during these animations.
Combine those two factors together and in a fight against multiple fast moving enemies, parry/counter leaves you open big time.
3. The counterattack itself doesn't inflict much Stun damage to dangerous enemies (at least that Hateful mini-boss) and it also doesn't interrupt their current action. The counterattack feels like it hits like a wet noodle on dangerous enemies.
4. The counterattack is single target. The Shield Slam from the Stonewall Shield is a front cone AoE.

It seems like I'm supposed to be picking a shield style and upgrading that shield only, there's not a lot of upgrade materials to go around. So I want to pick a style and stick with it. Parry/counter against basic enemies isn't worth the effort either. The Shield Slam from the Stonewall is easy to execute and knocks most enemies in the air.

Hopefully, going with the Stonewall Shield going forward makes combat feel enjoyable all around.
You're not alone having done this... I played about half the game on No Mercy and became annoyed what felt like inconsistencies with the parry/counter mechanic and some of the gank fights. I remember having the same frustrations with the first game.
AggiEE
Game is an absolute masterpiece

Easy 10/10 from me
cr0wbar
AG
You're not the only one - by far the worst part about this great game is it's targeting system. I've lost too many fights by dodging and trying to lock on the closet enemy only to target lock onto a guy 40+ feet away.
Cromagnum
AG
cr0wbar said:

You're not the only one - by far the worst part about this great game is it's targeting system. I've lost too many fights by dodging and trying to lock on the closet enemy only to target lock onto a guy 40+ feet away.

I think there are settings for auto toggle you can mess with. I'll have to look again next time I fire it up. Changing quick turnaround to the L3 button was a game changer.
chase128
AG
I feel like I must be doing something wrong when I play as Kratos. My attacks feel like they hit like a wet noodle and stun damage accumulates very slowly. Dealing with multiple enemies at once gets frustrating sometimes since I feel like my attacks have zero weight or impact to them

Artreus on the other hand does a ton of stun damage, and playing as him feels a lot smoother. His playstyle of building up stun meter and using R3 feels pretty good.

Am I supposed to be applying Frost or Fire debuffs then switching weapons? I've picked up the talents for that playstyle but I haven't bothered with that much, yet, since the Chaos Blades are disappointing as heck to use. I'll try the element/switch if I ever get back to Kratos. This one section with Atreus is beginning to drag on.

Edit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/comments/z14ol9/god_of_war_ragnarok_combat_discussion/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

This post really sums up my thoughts on combat
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.