Connecting Router to wireless network

783 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by UmustBKidding
tjones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am trying to connect a set of eufy cameras in my dads assisted living apartment. They have a wireless network that they utilize by allowing mac addresses.

The issue I am running into is that the setup for the cameras requires a hardwire, at least at start up, but there is nothing to plug the ethernet plug from camera into...

What type of wireless router will work best to connect to the wireless network and then hardwire into the router from the camera, while also being able to connect wirelessly to the router as well so we can set up the eufy cameras through the app?

Does that make sense? Thanks for the help!
txyaloo
AG
I'd pick up a wifi bridge. The bridge connects to the wifi and gives you an ethernet port for other devices. No need for a 2nd router if you're only hooking up the Eufy base station

https://www.amazon.com/BrosTrend-600Mbps-Adapter-Wireless-WNA016/dp/B0118SPFCK
tjones
AG
Thanks! So just to clarify, the camera hub can plug into the extender which will be connected to wireless network and the I can also connect my phone to the extender to set up cameras?

Thanks again. This drove me insane all day screwing with it.
wcb
AG
Probably, but if they are whitelisting MAC addresses you're going to have to get them to add your bridge. That part is beyond your control.

Other option would be to simply go to a wireless cam.
tjones
AG
Yea, its Spectrum and they have to whitelist the mac. Even when they white list it, tech support said it may or may not work...said it is usually 50/50, depending on bridge... I might just have to buy a few different brands and see if I get lucky. If not, then yes, I'll need to switch cameras. Any recs on cameras that wont need a hardwire at setup?

Thanks!
txyaloo
AG
tjones said:

Yea, its Spectrum and they have to whitelist the mac. Even when they white list it, tech support said it may or may not work...said it is usually 50/50, depending on bridge... I might just have to buy a few different brands and see if I get lucky. If not, then yes, I'll need to switch cameras. Any recs on cameras that wont need a hardwire at setup?

Thanks!

If you have a laptop with wifi and an ethernet port, you can create a software bridge in Windows where the wifi is shared thru the ethernet port. You'd need to get your wifi card's MAC whitelisted, but it may be easier than dealing with a hardware bridge.

IIRC, my Eufy base requires ethernet even after setup, but it's a gen1. That may have changed with the newer bases
UmustBKidding
Ya depends on if your cameras can deal with double nat connection. I use an old mbr95 cradepoint router which supports wan on wifi for these type of applications.
tjones
AG
They wouldn't allow a 3rd party bridge to the managed wifi. I guess I'm gonna have to just get wifi only cameras.
LostInLA07
AG
Don't most bridges let you spoof a MAC address? Just change the MAX to whichever one they've already whitelisted?
dubi
AG
Blink XT2 cameras are wireless.
UmustBKidding
Bridges don't alter mac address they just monitor which interface a given mac is connected to and copy the packet there and if they don't know they broadcast to all. While some devices that bridge have a mac address for an administrative port it is not use in packet processing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.