VPS vs. Shared for several small sites

730 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by DAM
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to host multiple small sites, all that can be hosted with shared hosting. Thinking of going VPS so I can host them all under one account (assuming I can). However, I have little to no knowledge on this setup and looking for info and what I'd be getting myself into. I have used several shared hosting providers in the past.

1. Can I host several sites with VPS? (Assuming I can, just to be sure). These are small and load balancing should not be an issue.

2. What, if any, maintenance is required with VPS? Am I responsible for security? What about updates? I have some Linux command line experience as I have servers at home so this doesn't scare me but I may not know all the best security hacks. Plus I can't babysit the server, but I don't mind dealing with it on a twice-weekly basis.

3. Anything else that I need to know or any holes I'm risking falling into?

TIA
UmustBKidding
With VPS security will be an you issue. I use a VPS (Rack Nerds) for my asterisk instance which was super cheap, reliable and they have coupons often. but yes any and all updates and recovery will be on you.

You can for sure host several sites on VPS if you understand how to configure stuff to support virtual sites. But you will also have to understand setting up all they servers under your chosen os.

For general site hosting I have an unlimited reseller account on hostgator. So things like install and updates in general are take care of. Not perfect but if there is a new PHP, Wordpress, apache, MTA or other software almost always its just done for you. I have have 50+ sites at times and for $30 month it was far easier than dealing with even tracking any high priority patches on the dozens of application packages in most web/email/dns/.... server configurations.

So for me shared hosting for things that are stock is far better than VPS, but has limits. But if someone needs a site for 4h, scouts, one time events with email, wordpress etc it takes me about 2 minutes to gen a site with all that enabled and I give them the Cpanel credentials and I am done. There are cheaper more limited options but I have unlimited so when someone says can you do X i can spend the 2 minutes and not have to worry about will this push me over some limit.

Not a Lawyer but my rate is likely as high and I would never choose a VPS to do a bunch of stuff I can pay less than people pay for a cup of coffee and have it all configured and maintained (Within reason) for me.

91AggieLawyer
AG
So it sounds like you'd recommend reseller hosting for what I'm talking about here?

What about Digital Ocean and "droplets?" How does all that work? Is that something beyond the scope of what we're discussing?
UmustBKidding
Think digitalocean is a fine choice for performance virtual servers so if you what to have total control and responsibility like maintenance and updates, ya good choice.
If you want to try a shared host I can spin up some instances for you to play with. Email in profile
Mr President Elect
AG
You shouldn't have to babysit most VPS services. I use a managed VPS through Dreamhost and they take care of all the security, updates, patches, backups, etc. I don't really recommend them though. Digital Ocean seems to be the popular choice these days.
DAM
AG
I like managed hosting because it just works. That would be my vote .

dam
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.