Google G Suite - no longer free! Any alternatives??

1,682 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aggie71013
AGGIE WH08P
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my family has used the Google G Suite legacy free edition for a number of years for a family email domain. All of us have email addresses that are first name @ last name.com for the past 15+ years. Think it was run through GoDaddy at first, then Google later one.

Well, we recently found out that we will all have to pay $75 each per email address if we want to keep this domain. Kinda sucks! I have myself, my wife and 3 kids setup with their own accounts. So I would have to pay $300 annually. Doing that for the next however many years seems costly and I don't care to folk over they money.

My question is, does anyone else know of a less costly alternative? Or should I just plan on making a new email address with @gmail.com ?

Thanks for the help!!
lb3
AG
I also own [MyLastName].com and GoDaddy provides email aliases for free (with domain registration).

For my LLC, I pay for an Outlook 365 account for a bit more privacy.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
Thanks for the reply.
Are you allowed as many email addys on the Microsoft 365 setup as you want? Or is it only limited to a few?
PincheDriller
AG
I have a less costly option. Zoho.

The free tier is for 5 accounts with 5GB of space.

For $1.25/mo/acct you get 10gb mail storage and more features. I use them and they are great. Unless you want to host somewhere.

Let me know and I can help migrate, not hard.
kb2001
AG
PincheDriller said:

For $1.25/mo/acct you get 10gb mail storage and more features. I use them and they are great. Unless you want to host somewhere.

I was about to reply with Zoho, then I saw your message. I'm debating setting this up for my family also.

I'm curious about email aliases, do they allow that, is there a limit per? I want to have an alias account for various services I sign up for. texags@mydomain.com for example that would go the same inbox, but would allow me to ID who is selling my email to spammy services
PincheDriller
AG
kb2001 said:

PincheDriller said:

I was about to reply with Zoho, then I saw your message. I'm debating setting this up for my family also.

I'm curious about email aliases, do they allow that, is there a limit per? I want to have an alias account for various services I sign up for. texags@mydomain.com for example that would go the same inbox, but would allow me to ID who is selling my email to spammy services

The do allow email aliases, my free version I have 5 aliases for my account
bco2003
AG
AGGIE WH08P said:

Well, we recently found out that we will all have to pay $75 each per email address if we want to keep this domain. Kinda sucks! I have myself, my wife and 3 kids setup with their own accounts. So I would have to pay $300 annually. Doing that for the next however many years seems costly and I don't care to folk over they money.
Maybe I'm misreading your current state, but where are you seeing notification of these changes? I too got in on the free G Suite domain early on and continue to use it for a few email addresses. I haven't seen anything from Google about charges being assessed.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
I will look into the zoho option. Thanks

https://apps.google.com/supportwidget/articlehome?hl=en&article_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsupport.google.com%2Fa%2Fanswer%2F2855120%3Fhl%3Den&product_context=2855120&product_name=UnuFlow&trigger_context=a

Begins 5/1/22
TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
I'm in the same boat. I have my own domain and 4 family members tied to accounts. I signed up for G Suite a looooong time ago.

I really don't want to pay for it and will switch somewhere else rather than paying Google. (Unfortunately that means moving my 3 family members also)

I found this article that identifies a FAQ with a link to a form to inform Google you're usage is Personal.
https://9to5google.com/2022/01/26/g-suite-legacy-free-personal-non-business/

I filled it out but no response yet. I"m not hopeful that this will result in keeping this service. But on the bright side, I've wanted to de-couple my data from Google and this might be the tipping point.

AGGIE WH08P
AG
Thanks. I just submitted my survey as well.

Just curious, if you decide to get away from google, what email provider would you consider? I'm in the same boat, but then my first thought is to go with a gmail account! haha. Guess I need to read up on which is better in forms of privacy....gmail, yahoo etc?
90 bull
AG
I did the same. And then see what happens
MGS
It looks like Google has backtracked and will allow a free version for non-commercial use.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/2855120?hl=en
TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
MGS said:

It looks like Google has backtracked and will allow a free version for non-commercial use.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/2855120?hl=en
Thanks!
Aggie71013
AG
Thanks so much for calling this out. I had already upgraded to Workspace even though I only use it for personal use. A quick chat with Google support and I'm back on the legacy free version.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.