Are there any good free online war strategy games?

1,847 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by G Martin 87
Col. Steve Austin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are there any that are worthwhile that don't require spending bucks on upgrades in order to enjoy playing?
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I think StarCraft 1 is F2P from Blizzard now.

That game is a classic if you haven't played it before.
Thanks and gig'em
kapon
AG
Axis & Allies is a one time purchase.
I enjoy it.
GIG 'EM!
Madmarttigan
AG
With warhammer total war 3 coming out maybe there will be the 1st and 2nd on a huge discount and they are amazingly fun games. You kinda have to buy and install both together though.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Thanks for the input.

I haven't really played any online war games. I see adverts for World of Tanks, World of Warships, etc. and they look interesting but it seems like they want to sell you upgrades for the best experience and I'm not really interested in that.
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
Aggie1205
AG
Not free but check out Hearts of Iron 4.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Col. Steve Austin said:

Thanks for the input.

I haven't really played any online war games. I see adverts for World of Tanks, World of Warships, etc. and they look interesting but it seems like they want to sell you upgrades for the best experience and I'm not really interested in that.
Can't speak to WoT but i've gotten into Warships over the last 2 years. 1st I don't know that I would call it a "strategy" game. Its honestly closer to a FPS but slower paced and with more strategy (if you find yourself in a good match). I like it because for me it's the same type of fun as COD but without feeling like i need to be twitching from caffeine OD to keep up with the reflexes of the teenagers playing.

as for the money part, WoWs will absolutely try to get you to spend money, but you can have a lot of fun without spending any. And technically, if you are patient enough, you can even get almost everything for free that most people spend money on. I spent a bit of money to get 1 ship, and i paid for a premium account 1 time to speed up the grind early on, but now i don't spend any money with them, and still really enjoy it, and most of the ships i play are ones i didn't spend money on. and finally it is definitely not pay to win because most of the players who come in and dump cash to get the best ships immediately have no idea how to play them and are usually pretty easy to kill, its nice that there is really no ship so OP that it can't be dealt with by free alternatives. (except the FDR, **** the FDR)
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Good feedback, thanks!
NewOldAg
AG
I'd be very careful with the WoWs spending. I've played since Beta and their history of premium ships is sketchy.

They'll sell an over powered ship, let it stay for two patches, then make an "adjustment" that completely neuters the ship (Pommern, Texas, Georgia, Palo Emilio, and the list goes on).

I recommend to play for free and enjoy the tech tree ships. A lot of fun with the Japanese long lance torpedoes or the gun boat DDs. Also, no need to grind t10; grid to t6 and try another nation. Best way to learn the game.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Yeah, my preference would be no in-game spending. That's the basic reason for starting the thread to see if there were any worthwhile games where that could be avoided.
Nagler
AG
Aggie1205 said:

Not free but check out Hearts of Iron 4.

Best game ever.
RyanFromTexas
Real-time strategy (RTS) was always my favorite genre of games. Unfortunately the pipeline of new RTS games has completely dried up. I do a Google News search about twice a year to see if there are any new games like Red Alert or Star Craft or Total Annihilation in development and am always disappointed.

Offworld was kind of interesting RTS, but wasn't a war game.
Eliminatus
AG
RyanFromTexas said:

Real-time strategy (RTS) was always my favorite genre of games. Unfortunately the pipeline of new RTS games has completely dried up. I do a Google News search about twice a year to see if there are any new games like Red Alert or Star Craft or Total Annihilation in development and am always disappointed.

I'd murder a stranger in cold blood if we got a Supreme Commander 3 or Sons of a Solar Empire 2
GiveMeTheInfo
Thank you so much for these recommendations! Quite a lot of cool and cool online resources are available at the moment. I advise you to pay attention to the site https://pokiesman.com/free-pokies/ where you can find information about free online pokies for Australian players. Go and play 568+ free pokies online for fun without downloading and registering.
YouBet
AG
RyanFromTexas said:

There is a new Dune 4xRTS game out on Steam. Still in early access but it has good reviews so far and looks nice.

I don't play RTS anymore because it's too much multi-tasking for me at this point in life.
G Martin 87
AG
By "free", do you mean free to play? Or buy the game and content once and own it?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.