Windows 11

3,108 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tailgate88
BQ78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My home computer is asking me if I want to upgrade to Windows 11, any pros or cons to doing this?
immortal_kumquat
Double check on this but I think you have limited time to try it and roll it back if you don't like it. So far I've been happy with it on my media PC in the living room. Back up anything important BEFORE starting the upgrade, just in case.
txyaloo
AG
I wouldn't do it. There have been multiple reports of performance issues. It also has issues with older hardware. Give it a few months for the next big maintenance release to come out before upgrading
kb2001
AG
txyaloo said:

I wouldn't do it. There have been multiple reports of performance issues. It also has issues with older hardware. Give it a few months for the next big maintenance release to come out before upgrading
Yep, as much as a 30% decrease in performance on graphics cards. Hold off for now
tlepoC
AG
AMD performance fix is out, I believe. Still no great reason to upgrade. I did but it mostly just feels like a slight visual update. Which isn't a bad thing. I know it's more than that but doesn't feel much different
Al Bula
AG
Installed it in my surface pro 7. Don't care for the centered start button. Some of the corner taskbar icons flicker. There's no intel updates available so until something is released I guess I'm stuck with it.
Wildmen03
AG
I've got it running on two laptops. The performance has been fine. Both are Intel machines, one has a RTX 2060 in it, the other has integrated.

I've been playing with sideloading android apps the past two days.
The Dog Lord
AG
Easy, Rod said:

Installed it in my surface pro 7. Don't care for the centered start button. Some of the corner taskbar icons flicker. There's no intel updates available so until something is released I guess I'm stuck with it.

Heard there's an option to move it back to the left if you haven't done that already
Cloud
immortal_kumquat said:

Double check on this but I think you have limited time to try it and roll it back if you don't like it. So far I've been happy with it on my media PC in the living room. Back up anything important BEFORE starting the upgrade, just in case.

Media PC in 2021? Gross.
immortal_kumquat

Sorry? I also enjoy PC games on the big screen if that helps or just blow it right out your ass.
Spyderman
AG
All is well on this ASUS 14.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Al Bula
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Easy, Rod said:

Heard there's an option to move it back to the left if you haven't done that already
oh yes, i definitely made that change. More of a comment on how MS is trying to make cosmetic changes that don't really make sense.

I ended up checking intel's website for driver updates (I have a Surface Pro 7), and a network adapter update fixed some Wi-Fi issues i also discovered. For a day or so I wasn't able to connect to my home 2.4 GHz band without going into the adapter properties and tinkering with something that only allowed 5 GHz Wi-Fi.

Also a windows update came out last week I installed and the flickering I was noticing stopped. Not sure if it was a graphics driver update or what, but intel has not released anything graphics-related for my device yet.

Seems to be going well after a few minor annoyances.
YouBet
AG
I seemingly always have 20-30 Intel firmware updates sitting in my Optional list on Windows Update. I have no idea if they are legitimate or not. It looks some go as far back as 2016.
flakrat
AG
Upgraded my AMD Ryzen 5 3600X and Nvidia GTX 970 and haven't noticed any performance issues. I run just about every game on high or ultra settings without any lag (with Windows 10 and 11 Pro).

I know, old graphics card, but a year of looking and I still haven't found an RTX available in the make and model that I want.
Eliminatus
AG
I see no real reason for me to move on from 10 yet. I am perfectly happy with it tbh.
ttu_85
txyaloo said:

At all
Pman17
AG
Did a clean install, was a pain in the butt to upgrade on a gaming PC. Had to mess around with the BIOS pulling hair to get the security and drives right. There's nothing too special about it. It just looks more like macOS and they got rid of the ugly tiles.
lb3
AG
I had to order a small security card to install on my mother board. It's sitting off the cost of California but should arrive in a couple weeks.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Installed it last night on a laptop I rarely use that has an unsupported CPU (6th gen Intel). I did Microsoft backed registry hack to "force" installation. All and all, everything went pretty smoothly. I had one driver issue upon installation (wouldn't find the correct wireless card driver), but resolved easily with a quick Google search for resolution.

All and all, I really like the look and feel of it. Haven't moved the start menu to the old location yet, but most likely will in short order. No more tiles thank goodness!
ajn142
AG
Been testing at work. Seems about the same as 10 after another feature update (because that's what it is). I'll bite the bullet and go from "testing" to "using" as soon as that's signed off on. I like to live at the bleeding edge cause inevitably somebody will need help with it.
bigtruckguy3500
Any updated thoughts on this? My mom's laptop has been asking her for a while. It's a Lenovo Yoga 730. 8GB RAM, 256gb SSD. Core i5 1.6ghz.

I don't live anywhere near to provide support if things go bad.
Tailgate88
AG
Unless you have a compelling reason to upgrade, why do it? Win 10 is fast, mature, and pretty stable considering it is a MS product.
lb3
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Unless you have a compelling reason to upgrade, why do it? Win 10 is fast, mature, and pretty stable considering it is a MS product.
With attitudes like that we would all still be using XP, their best OS ever.
Tailgate88
AG
lb3 said:

Tailgate88 said:

With attitudes like that we would all still be using XP, their best OS ever.
No, because end-of-life where no more security updates are being released is a compelling reason to upgrade.

I would never upgrade to a new OS without it having been on the streets and having at least one or two major revisions first. I'm happy to let someone else debug it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.