YouTube TV vs. Bally Sports

1,203 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by LOYAL AG
Macarthur
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ticks me off!
TV Casualty
AG
It seems like it's more Sinclair against almost everyone. Direct TV stream is my only option for Bally Sports in Fort Worth. It's hard to understand what Sinclair is doing.
TecRecAg
AG
I hate it too. I miss watching the Stars. I looked in to DirectTV stream and it's more expensive than YTTV with no 4k. Stars hockey is pretty easy to follow on Twitter for regular season games. Once playoffs start I'll start heading out to watch them I guess
hph6203
AG
Launching a standalone streaming service, because they have leverage. Local sports is a solid business, but not one many companies want to build a network on from the ground up, so they own them right now. They're aiming at $23 a month beginning of next year and to me that's a steal of a price compared to paying a cable service during the non-overlap months of basketball/football.
powerbelly
AG
$23/month to just watch baseball/basketball/hockey? That is not a steal at all.
hph6203
AG
Well the only thing I watch on broadcast TV is sports and it's better than paying $85 a month for Bravo that if sooner light myself on fire than watch. So from my perspective I'm saving $65 a month. One team follow on NBA League pass is $20/mo.

So yeah, steal by comparison.
YouBet
AG
hph6203 said:

Launching a standalone streaming service, because they have leverage. Local sports is a solid business, but not one many companies want to build a network on from the ground up, so they own them right now. They're aiming at $23 a month beginning of next year and to me that's a steal of a price compared to paying a cable service during the non-overlap months of basketball/football.

Who? Bally?

And that seems expensive.
YouBet
AG
hph6203 said:

Well the only thing I watch on broadcast TV is sports and it's better than paying $85 a month for Bravo that if sooner light myself on fire than watch.

Ah, you mean just to pay a la carte for sports and that's it. Makes sense.
hph6203
AG
Yes Bally. Compared to a cable package it's cheap. Compared to NBA League Pass it's cheap. Is it more than I'd want to pay? Yeah, but less than I presently have to.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not cheering Bally for locking out their product from cable packages, but that's the reasoning and I'll absolutely drop cable for that service.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/sinclair-aiming-for-23-month-streaming-plan-for-bally-sports-in-2022/amp/
htxag09
AG
A standalone ESPN package would barely be worth $23/month.... Not sure about Bally. Granted, I don't know what teams even currently have deals with Bally. But, you aren't paying it to watch all those national teams, you're just paying it to watch your teams.
TV Casualty
AG
hph6203 said:

I realize they are planning on a streaming service, but in the meantime they are keeping their content away from customers for two years. Then they want to make it available at a price point that I think is too high. They are risking that people might just find better things to do with their time.

It's not exactly correct to say it's only $23 and that's cheaper than cable. Sports fans will still have to get cable to watch ESPN and other channels that carry sports content. Even if you are only interested in local teams you will still have to pay for cable to watch playoff games.

Really you have to add the $23 to whatever is the cheapest option for getting ESPN, Fox Sports, and the turner networks.

I would also be willing to bet that we would be shocked at the price if ESPN were to ever offer a streaming package only of their channels.

You mention not wanting to pay for Bravo and other channels, but that's a two way street. Many people are having to pay those large ESPN subscription fees when they don't even want it. Break that down to only sports fans paying for it and I bet it's almost as much as a full cable package.
dvldog
AG
So about their stand alone service plans:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cordcuttersnews.com/mlb-reportedly-wants-a-stake-in-bally-sports-rsns-streaming-service/amp/
LOYAL AG
AG
htxag09 said:

A standalone ESPN package would barely be worth $23/month.... Not sure about Bally. Granted, I don't know what teams even currently have deals with Bally. But, you aren't paying it to watch all those national teams, you're just paying it to watch your teams.

ESPN has consistently said a stand-alone would cost over $30 and given the current cost in a bundle and the portion of bundle subscribers that watch ESPN the math makes sense. They're right about $8.50/month and about 25% watch it so simple math says $34.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.