Faster wireless router

748 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 92_Ag
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been using the built in Frontier router with my FIOS service after using Apple's Airport Extreme for almost a decade before that. Its worked OK but I need more speed now. My wired speed is over 500 Mbps with wireless being a little more than 10 percent of that.

Since I haven't bought a router in a long time, what models should I be looking at? How fast can I get it? We don't seem to have many coverage issues at my house. It does need to be secure.
agracer
AG
What's your budget?

The NetGear Orbi routers are pretty fast but they're also $500+

The NetGear NIghthawks can get to 1,200 Mbps and are $150.
92_Ag
AG
I have one of each of those, either of which I may be willing to part with if you are interested.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Stupid question, but is platform (i.e. Mac/Windows/Linux) an issue for the Nighthawk? I have mostly Mac with a Linux server and one Windows client machine.

92. I may be interested. How much and where are you?
92_Ag
AG
I didn't really have any issues with either of them that I can recall and I'm nearly entirely MacOS and Linux. Kids have a couple of chrome books in the mix. I haven't booted up either unit in about a year so I can't speak to usage with Big Sur but I don't see why it would be much different.

I will go find the model numbers of what I have, and I'm in Dallas.
92_Ag
AG
I have a Nighthawk X8 (AC5300) - R8500 and Orbi AC3000 Mesh WiFi System+Smart Speaker (RBK50V). You can look them up on Netgear's site and determine if you're even remotely interested in them as they're older models.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.