Canon sued due to Printer Shenanigans

2,050 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by unmade bed
Fannie Luddite
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Class action suit has been brought against Canon due to scanner being disabled when ink has run out. I hope they get taken to the cleaners.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/untrustworthy-canon-printer-lawsuit/
Quote:

The claims are being done because Canon is seeking to increase its profits by selling replacement ink cartridges. The plaintiff added that since printer inks typically expire after a few years, whether used or not, all-in-one machines users are forced to keep buying new ink just to use the scanner function.
Madmarttigan
AG
That is shady af
Sea Speed
AG
Madmarttigan said:

That is shady af
no doubt. I bet there are tons of other little things like this out there on a load of other electronics. coupled with forced obsolescence, i dont trust about anything i buy.
Eliminatus
AG
Doesn't Brother do the same thing?
Nixter
AG
Found out the hard way that, at least with HP, ink cartridges are region-locked. Bought some from Amazon (not advertised being specific to any region, which I didn't even know was a thing and I wasn't deal hunting) as spares - when I finally got around to using them they didn't work. Amazon said you bought them too long ago, so tough. HP had some garbage excuse that ink cartridges in different regions are constructed differently because of the local climate (seriously...that's what the guy said).

I was SOL until I started ranting about it on Twitter and suddenly an HP support person sent me a bunch of free ink cartridges overnight to shut me up.

Horrible companies, all.
Eliminatus
AG
Madmarttigan said:

That is shady af

The whole damn business is an f'ing case study in ethical behavior. Isn't printer ink, ounce for ounce, one of the most expensive substances to have ever existed in history?

But what are you going to do? Some things you just have to print out. They got us coming and going.
LOYAL AG
AG
Eliminatus said:

Madmarttigan said:

That is shady af

The whole damn business is an f'ing case study in ethical behavior. Isn't printer ink, ounce for ounce, one of the most expensive substances to have ever existed in history?

But what are you going to do? Some things you just have to print out. They got us coming and going.

I've actually been impressed by the Epson Ecotank I bought I think 3 years ago. No cartridges, ink comes in a bottle and lasts a long time. I print a pretty decent amount because I'm an accountant and we do a lot of bookkeeping, payrolls, etc. it's been a good, reliable machine and I bet I've spent less than $100 on ink since I got it. It's an all in one but I don't really use the scanner a ton as I have a high speed scanner one shelf up from but it works fine.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
dubi
AG
Eliminatus said:

Doesn't Brother do the same thing?
I could not use an aftermarket toner with my Brother printer.

Pissed me off royally.
YouBet
AG
I have a Canon and I f'ing hate it. I have mine on wireless and it refuses to talk with my PC so I have to print everything from my phone.

I HATE home printers.
lb3
AG
Brother is notorious for selling printers at a loss to gain market share and making it up on ink and toner.
YouBet
AG
lb3 said:

Brother is notorious for selling printers at a loss to gain market share and making it up on ink and toner.
I think they all do this. Classic loss leader strategy.
PincheDriller
AG
Had a friends parent I met who worked for HP back in the day, they told me that they sold printers at loss and all money was in cartridges. They said they spent like $5 each to produce and distribute and the rest was all profit. The real suckers were the people that bought in based on printer suggestions and sent back the cartridges for "recycling".
aezmvp
Yeah I hate all printer companies. HP is awful and I am 100% unsurprised that Canon and Brother are also awful.
Icecream_Ag
S
YouBet said:

lb3 said:

I think they all do this. Classic loss leader strategy.
lots of car dealerships do it as well. Throw a free oil change in to get you talking to the service department and your $30 oil change is now $110. And for the 20k/30k/50k mile maintenance stuff you are looking at $200-500+ compared to $100 at your local quick lube.
C@LAg
I have had my Canon MD4350 printer for years and years.

granted it is a b&w laser printer, but the damn thing is a workhorse and has been awesome.
SchizoAg
AG
C@LAg said:

granted it is a b&w laser printer, but the damn thing is a workhorse and has been awesome.
I've had an HP LaserJet 1200 for about 16 years now. Still works great. The toner never "expires". (LOL, what a racket.) Before that, I had another HP LaserJet that I would still be using today, if it worked with modern versions of Windows.

For printing documents, you can't beat a black and white laser printer.
92_Ag
AG
I have a 6 ton (ok hyperbole, but it's a mammoth) Dell 5100CN color laser jet that I'm pretty sure was built by Lexmark and it's older than my children but still runs. I can't get drivers for it anymore so every OS upgrade I'm cobbling together and modifying files just to connect to it, but I'll use it until it completely dies on me. I've had to replace components on it here and there (thank the Lord my EE background is still useful for something) and stock up on some toner. I may have to again here soon before it's completely unavailable.

Not going to lie though, I wish I had an all-in-one that worked wirelessly but this will do until I'm forced to make a change.
Sea Speed
AG
Imagine how much time you've spent getting that thing to work instead of just dropping a couple hundred for an all in one that is probably a quarter of the size.
dubi
AG
Sea Speed said:

Imagine how much time you've spent getting that thing to work instead of just dropping a couple hundred for an all in one that is probably a quarter of the size.

It is a challenge dammit!
Ribeye-Rare
AG
SchizoAg said:

C@LAg said:

I've had an HP LaserJet 1200 for about 16 years now. Still works great. The toner never "expires". (LOL, what a racket.) Before that, I had another HP LaserJet that I would still be using today, if it worked with modern versions of Windows.

For printing documents, you can't beat a black and white laser printer.
Me too. I continue to use several HP LaserJet 4050TN's that I bought back in the early 2000's. They work great and cheap (but good) aftermarket toner is readily available. There's no 'expire' or 'region' BS either.

HP used to build its printers to last, it seems.

Before you write off an old LaserJet because there are no drivers for Windows 10, check out this link on Microsoft's site. It's got over 800 driver downloads for just about everything you can imagine. I didn't get that link from HP, but from a guy who had inside info and supports older equipment.

Microsoft HP LaserJet Drivers Catalog

I'm not a fan of HP's universal printer drivers, as I believe too many printer-specific features are missing, particularly for the older models that HP has all but forgotten about.

For my 4050's under Windows 10, I use a PostScript driver from the 64-bit version of Windows Vista.
92_Ag
AG
Sea Speed said:

Yeah, probably could have bought several that broke down every couple of years. Rinse and repeat. I have no issues maintaining and repairing stuff. Maybe I'm old school or just old.
Sea Speed
AG
I get it. I'm thst way with some stuff. Electronics aren't one of them.
unmade bed
Is there a GoFundMe account set up where I can go donate the plaintiff's attorneys to help the cause???
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.