Need Coinbase Help...

1,616 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Tailgate88
The Silverback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here is my problem:

I log in on the app and when it asked for the authenticator code I go to that app and enter the 6 digit code. However every time I do that it tells me invalid code. It has been a while since i logged in but definitely used to work.

So when I click on the "I need help" tab it gives me 2 options: "Code or app is not working" or " I cant access my authenticator app anymore".

neither has helped and every time I try to email for more support it tells me to follow steps to account recovery. Hit a road block there when it asked me to scan in my Drivers License because its telling me my DL doesn't match my Coinbase account because my DL has my full name (Matthew instead of Matt).

Any advice on what to do from here?!?! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
lb3
AG
Give me your account logins, passwords, and send me your two-factor codes when received and I'll 'fix' it for you.
Tabasco
AG
No smart ass answer here, because I understand your pain. Spoiler... I don't have an answer because this is not my thing, but just want to bump for you. But are you doing this on mobile or computer. I had issues with mobile, but on pc no issues.
Tabasco
AG
Annnnnnddddd. even though I never had a problem before, I tried to log into coinbase on computer. Got the two-factor thing, and never receive code on phone. Tried in two different browsers.
Tabasco
AG
Tabasco said:

Annnnnnddddd. even though I never had a problem before, I tried to log into coinbase on computer. Got the two-factor thing, and never receive code on phone. Tried in two different browsers.
Ok I'm dumb. Was expecting it to be texted to my cell. It was sent to my authenticator app. You only have 30 sec to enter it, so you might be doing it too slow possible??
lb3
AG
Try customer support: 1(888)908-7930
The Silverback
AG
This is insane....can't get anywhere with customer support either.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I had this problem a while back and I think I went through their online identity verification system to be able to get it working. It is still a little wonky, but I can get in. Sorry I am not much help but don't think you are totally screwed just yet.
YouBet
AG
This scares me and is another reason I'm moving to a hard wallet.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Tabasco said:

Tabasco said:

Ok I'm dumb. Was expecting it to be texted to my cell. It was sent to my authenticator app. You only have 30 sec to enter it, so you might be doing it too slow possible??

I did the exact same thing when I first started. Expected it to be texted to me, when you actually have to open up your authenticator app.
OneMoonGoon92
AG
This is precisely why you never keep your crypto on Coinbase. Get a good wallet or wallet storage device and keep it there. Control your own destiny when it comes to crypto.
BQ2001
AG
Have you switched phones since you set up the authenticator app (assuming Google Auth) the first time?
i is smart
AG
Good luck with their Customer Support. Unless they've changed something, it should be solved in 3 weeks.
YouBet
AG
Frankly, Authenticator apps mystify me like Bluetooth did when it first came out. I use Microsoft's Authenticator app for Coinbase. I have no clue why it works or if I designated that when I set up account. I assume I did.

Regardless, maybe switching Authenticator apps would help? No idea.
Tailgate88
AG
marleyrox said:

This is precisely why you never keep your crypto on Coinbase. Get a good wallet or wallet storage device and keep it there. Control your own destiny when it comes to crypto.

Good advice. When you say "Good wallet" which one do you recommend?
BQ2001
AG
You wouldn't be able to just switch auth apps and made it work. The reason I asked if they switched phones is the app may look like it is working on the new phone but it isn't in sync with what Coinbase is expecting (simplified). This goes through the process of moving from the old phone to the new phone. It's been a while since I used Google Auth so it might be a little different but pretty close.

I personally like Duo as you can set up a password to restore the database to the new phone for the third party accounts. I use a password manager to set up a super long recovery phrase.
https://guide.duo.com/duo-restore

Duo works anywhere that it says Google Auth is supported.
BQ2001
AG
Ledger and Trezor are the most popular ones with a lot of support. Just be sure to get them directly from whatever one you go with. Don't cheap out and get one off Facebook or Amazon from a 3rd party.

Never ever ever ever share your seed phase or put it into a website. Support or anyone legit will never need to know it. Don't save the seed phrase as a file on your computer or google drive or anything. Write it down and put it in a safe or safety deposit box. Think of it like your bank username and password. If a bad actor gets it, they have complete control over your funds. It might sound scary, but just be smart and you don't need to worry.
boy09
AG
You can also go the software/desktop wallet route. I use Exodus.
saw em off
Sometimes an invalid 2FA code indicates someone's time is off. It's a shot in the dark, but make sure your device is showing the right time, timezone, etc...
Its Texas Aggies, dammit
AG
I had a similar issue with Coinbase. I could not get into my account to stop automatic purchases. I canceled my linked card with the hope it would stop the auto draft process. When I did this, they started debiting my crypto on their site for various fees. It was terrible. Their customer support was slow. When they did respond, they were idiots following a monkey list. It was incredibly frustrating. Once I switched to Swan, which I learned about from the A&M Bitcoin conference, it was so much better. And fees are lower, too.
Tailgate88
AG
Just want to say Hell Yes! In regards to your screen name.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.