I need to send an email that is untraceable

3,514 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BenTheGoodAg
Reload8098
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will ProtonMail do the job or do I need to use something else?
FatZilla
AG
Tor + proton should work
C@LAg
FatZilla said:

Tor + proton should work
feds are all over tor. hell they likely are running it.
tamusc
AG
Not sure that ProtonMail is the bastion for anonymity some think it is either.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/09/privacy-focused-protonmail-provided-a-users-ip-address-to-authorities/
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Reload8098
AG
Well hell, what do I do now.
FatZilla
AG
C@LAg said:

FatZilla said:

Tor + proton should work
feds are all over tor. hell they likely are running it.
Anyone can freely set up a tor node to bounce traffic. There are thousands of nodes worldwide. Your paranoid if you think feds are "all over" it. Yes, nodes can still sniff traffic, that's a given but unless they are looking for a specific piece, a random access to another node or to protonmail from that node is nothing that will tie back to anything worthwhile. Especially if you tell tor to make 3-5+ jumps for connections.
An Ag in CO
AG
Untraceable back to you or untraceable back to anyone? The former is possible, but the latter may not be.
aggieforester05
AG
Buy a cheap laptop with DVD drive off Craigslist using cash. Tape over camera before boot up. Create bootable Linux drive on write only DVD. Take to a public wifi place several cities away while wearing a disguise. Boot up using DVD. Use VPN and seperate proxy server that you have no association with and private browser tab. Sign up for and use foreign based encrypted email service to send. Smash, burn and dump ashes of laptop in a random body of water before you go home.
Reload8098
AG
An Ag in CO said:

Untraceable back to you or untraceable back to anyone? The former is possible, but the latter may not be.

Back to me. Nothing illegal here. It's about an unsafe work place. Maybe I'm too worried about how hard HR would try to figure out where the email came from??
Average Joe
AG
Reload8098 said:

An Ag in CO said:

Back to me. Nothing illegal here. It's about an unsafe work place. Maybe I'm too worried about how hard HR would try to figure out where the email came from??

You give HR WAY too much credit.
black_ice
Send a letter the old fashioned way. Use gloves just in case.
NewOldAg
AG
black_ice said:

Send a letter the old fashioned way. Use gloves just in case.

Buy a pen from out of town. I saw it once in an SVU episode.
Proposition Joe
Hahaha... Thought this was serious.

For a company HR? VPN/proxy, create Gmail and send.

Anything else is overkill. Hell, the VPN/proxy is probably overkill.
SJEAg
AG
Even if they sent it to their cybersecurity dept - no one is going to put forth much (i.e. any) effort in that. An anonymous gmail alone would be enough.

The only risk, which may be significant, is you outing yourself based solely on the details you provide in the message.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Fyi:

If you use a printer to print out an anonymous letter, most printers put a series of dots on the document that can identify the printer.

So you want to run that letter through a xerox to dull the resolution.
EastSideAg2002
lb3
AG
A good VPN and a smtp server running locally could send emails without much risk and you can spoof the from address. Receiving them would likely require a service such as proton.
91AggieLawyer
AG
IF IT WERE ME, I would not send an email. Emails can go into spam, get deleted, be unread, etc.
lb3
AG
My company uses a 3rd party firm to run our anonymous reporting system. Not sure I trust them but retaliation from a company sponsored anonymous tip line could bring significant liability.
Decay
AG
Just DM one of us and we'll send it
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Unless Sandra Bullock is full of crap, you should be able to just find a website with the PI symbol in the bottom right corner and then basically do whatever you want.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
who is this going to? Can it not be send from outside of your work?

If they are somehow snooping your personal email that is sent off hours, from your home with your personal device, then I imagine there is a good chance many of them end up in prison.

Tomdoss92
AG
Reload8098 said:

An Ag in CO said:

Hey if you wanted me to lay off the cabbage, egg, cauliflower and bean burritos before meetings in your office, just ask!
tamusc
AG
lb3 said:

My company uses a 3rd party firm to run our anonymous reporting system. Not sure I trust them but retaliation from a company sponsored anonymous tip line could bring significant liability.
My thoughts as well and I'm saying that as someone that has utilized a similar reporting system at my current employer. I work for a big company though, so a smaller employer might not have a great system to report the issue that protects the person reporting that well.
91AggieLawyer
AG
If its truly unsafe, hire a lawyer to make a police report. He can be making on based on a "John Doe" client.

If by unsafe you mean something that doesn't rise to a criminal violation, then you either have to go through their reporting system, the things mentioned here, or just forget it. If you don't trust their process, that isn't a company I'd want to work for.
Reload8098
AG
Thanks
Stat Monitor Repairman
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Unless Sandra Bullock is full of crap, you should be able to just find a website with the PI symbol in the bottom right corner and then basically do whatever you want.
Nice,
The Fife
This is an awful lot of work to get someone to send pictures of their cans.
Señor Chang
AG
Wait for a coworker you don't like to leave their computer unlocked, and send from their email.
Ezra Brooks
AG
tamusc said:

lb3 said:

My thoughts as well and I'm saying that as someone that has utilized a similar reporting system at my current employer. I work for a big company though, so a smaller employer might not have a great system to report the issue that protects the person reporting that well.
If the company is big enough to utilize a service like this - there is no way that the company will turn over anything that would be incriminating....it's likely written into the agreement.

This coming from an HR pro who has had to complete investigations initiated by an anonymous complaint via the hotline.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Can still supoena records directly from the 3rd party company though.
fka ftc
Back in my corporate days, part of my internal audit responsibilities were to follow-up on the tipline. We would receive the report from 3rd party and investigate. I was responsible for a region and there were times we did not receive the complain it it was deemed too critical - I suspect they were piercing the anonymity.

There were also times when risk of what was being reported may not have had all the information needed to follow-up was serious enough to require follow-up directly with the individual. For instance, if an anonymous hotline call said "I am aware of consume product contamination in our factory" but did not specify what factory. Company is going to peel that anonymous layer back.

The individual would retain whatever whistleblower statutes may be in place against retaliation, but at some point a company needs to know who to talk to when the original complaint needs more detail to investigate.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Prince_Ahmed
Also career HR here. My company uses a reporting system for anonymous complaints. Any complaints go to legal with all the details, then are farmed back to HR/EE relations to investigate
texasaggie04
AG
Reload8098 said:

An Ag in CO said:

Although I know nothing about your job, I would sure as hell hope that your company would want to receive feedback on an unsafe workplace. If they don't, sounds like there are much bigger problems than HR tracking emails.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.