Metroid Dread

6,037 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Quad Dog
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reviews looking good so far.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/metroid-dread

Hyped for Friday.
rangerdanger
AG
That dude Metroid is my favorite Nintendo character. He probably taught Master Chief everything he knows.

Seriously though, game looks fun.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Does Walmart sell new switch games for 49.99? or are they 59.99 everywhere?
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
easttexasaggie04
AG
I think I'll be picking this one up!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I plan to pick it up physically because I've always seen them for $49 in store.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Quad Dog
AG
A new Metroid made me want to fire up the original. I still remember trying to hand draw maps to this game when I was a kid. Thanks to emulator save states and official maps I accomplished something I never have before, a Justin Bailey suit Samus finish!
BadMoonRisin
AG
1st grader is out of school today and Monday. Picked it up at Wally world for $49.99
Pman17
AG
Regret not getting physical for $10 less. Looks like it'll be a play through once and done. Could've passed on the physical and recuperate some of the cost.

Anyways

Played a little last night, this game gets your adrenaline pumping! I died instantly when encountering the robot. You go through traditional Metroid game areas of killing aliens and exploring, then you get into the EMMY zone where you have to parkour/speed run from the scary robot. I can tell this game was built for the OLED Switch. Lighting looks cool! The speed of it reminds me of Celeste. Trip over something and robot instantly kills you. I'm glad there's lots of save areas vs the old Metroid games.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Having a really good time with this one. Bosses are challenging and rewarding to beat. I get lost a lot but I think that's part of the design.
coconutED
AG
So far my impression is…meh. Hope it picks up, but this initial gameplay loop is an absolute slog; not looking forward to doing it seven times. Also, it's using the same engine or very similar to Samus Returns, which I wasn't fond of.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Phsyical for $49 here as well. Probably all Wal-Mart's.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
While I wouldn't say "meh", the one thing I'm missing thus far (only 1.5 hrs in) is the atmosphere from Super Metroid. Both visuals and music.

Granted, I'm still in the first area so that could change.

Already got killed twice by the EMMI's but I'm glad the checkpoints are very frequent.
BadMoonRisin
AG
By the way, if you are trying to get away from an EMMI using the counter button, you need to time it to when then hand stabby thing flashes, not the EMMIs face core.
HeavyMetalAg
AG
Played a couple hours, enjoying it so far! The controls are really smooth. I do keep running into spots I'm sure I'll need the morph ball for, and think back to the "why can't metroid crawl?" meme. The EMMI zones are definitely high stress, but time will tell if they over stay their welcome.

I just have to worry about splitting time with my kids. The 12 year old will try to keep up with me, but I expect the 8 year old to struggle with the first EMMI.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah I'd say it took me an hour or two to really get the controls down, but once you do, they're the best in the series yet. Never had a more fluid moving Samus than this.

Also the first big boss fight was pretty fun.
BadMoonRisin
AG
After second boss, game becomes a "where the **** do I go now" exercise. Just like SNES version. Nostalgia confirmed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Kraid was tough!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Won't give spoilers, but the cutscene about 10 hours in is absolutely EPIC for long-time fans.
LastHamlet
AG
rangerdanger said:

That dude Metroid is my favorite Nintendo character. He probably taught Master Chief everything he knows.

Seriously though, game looks fun.
"She" probably taught Master Chief everything he knows.
Wildmen03
AG
Had my first big facepalm moment yesterday and into this morning.

Reached a point where you can travel to another zone. But once I got there every room was too hot and caused damage. Figured I needed to backtrack to the earlier area and find some power up to survive the heat.

Searched for an hour, going back and forth and finding nothing. Gave up and tried again this morning. Eventually found myself back in the beginning of the second zone and randomly blasted a wall to open the way I'm supposed to go.

It felt like 1994 Super Metroid all over again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I know the part you mean, and I gave up after about 45 mins of searching/backtracking and finally googled to figure out where to blast.

That, and the fake wall in Super Metroid, are just bs. I guess they really expected the player to blast every fricking wall in the game.
BadMoonRisin
AG
same thing happened to me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Spoilers for probably the final quarter of the game:

We got Metroid Fusion, folks!
Wildmen03
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Kraid was tough!

Just beat him. Died about 10 times learning the patterns. Probably died another 10 times getting the rhythm. By the time I finally killed him I had almost all my energy left.

Definitely tough.
Vade281
AG
I LOVE this game. I'm on the final boss...tried it once and said..nah I'll go back and hunt more missles and health lol. The game is tough but when you beat something you feel like a god.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The game has gotten better and better as it goes. The more abilities you unlock, the better and more fun Samus' movements get. I can pretty much fly through every area at this point, even without using the screw attack.

Also, I've loved the bits of story we've gotten, and how it's affected other areas, keeping things fresh even when backtracking.

And pretty much every single boss has been both fun, and difficult. But part of the fun is getting the strategy down so well that by the time you beat them, you can do it in expert fashion.

All in all it's reaching Super Metroid levels for me, which is awesome. If I had to guess I have probably 3-4 hours left to go, but maybe more as I'm trying to get as close to 100% as possible in every area. Even just filling in the map for OCD reasons.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I guess i got a little tipsy on Saturday night after the game and played because I cannot for the life of my figure out where im supposed to go now. I just fought Droyga, but nothing happened afterward because I dont think im supposed to be in this area yet. When I try to backtrack on a walkthrough guide, i cant seem to find where to go.
BadMoonRisin
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

I guess i got a little tipsy on Saturday night after the game and played because I cannot for the life of my figure out where im supposed to go now. I just fought Droyga, but nothing happened afterward because I dont think im supposed to be in this area yet. When I try to backtrack on a walkthrough guide, i cant seem to find where to go.
Doh, i was playing in handheld mode and missed a very obvious "wall blob" thingy that took me to a new area to progress. Easier to see on the TV.
Wildmen03
AG
Well took me about 2 hours of wandering trying to find that damned grappling hook. Luckily I found a bunch of missiles and energy tanks in the meantime.

This constant backtracking every time I get a power up is getting a bit tedious.

Still a fun game though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
7 EMMIs destroyed.

BadMoonRisin
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Won't give spoilers, but the cutscene about 10 hours in is absolutely EPIC for long-time fans.
10 hours in? How? I feel like I'm almost done (on the 2nd to last boss) with the game and my save says ive played for almost 7 hours. And that includes me running around drunk getting lost after the bama game!

I guess you said you're a completionist, huh?
coconutED
AG
I finished up yesterday. I gave up on getting 100% items; I really think they went overboard on the Shinespark puzzles this time around. Some are clever and fun, but others are stupid and over the top complicated.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm on cleanup duty now, just picking up items. I want to 100% before going to the final boss fight.

Man, some of these are ridiculous to get. But I will say I didn't realize you could "recharge" your shinespark multiple times, as well as activate it in midair with Y+B.

My life got much easier when I realized this. (Had to google it, admittedly.)

Still, one of them took me nearly a half hour to grab.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

10 hours in? How? I feel like I'm almost done (on the 2nd to last boss) with the game and my save says ive played for almost 7 hours. And that includes me running around drunk getting lost after the bama game!

I guess you said you're a completionist, huh?
I'm using my total play time, not the time the game shows. (In my Parental Controls app on my phone.)

FYI the game will show a much shorter time since it won't count all the time spent that ends in death.

But also yes, I'm a completionist.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.