Switching to ATT Cell Service?

1,345 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jasomania
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TLDNR: Switch from T-Mobile to ATT nets an iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 at an added cost over $650 over 36 months. Are you ATT Mobile users happy with your service?

Had T-Mobile for 3-years now. Switched over on a company perk which netted me $750 in gift cards and traded in an iPhone 6 to get an XR for $450. Current cost is $120/mo for 6 phones unlimited talk/text/data on military discount (which actually ends in a year). Coverage is mostly good but can be spotty when we get into some rural areaseven on a major freeway at times I've lost coverage. Also, when son was deployed he had T-Mobile data coverage and could facetime home with no charges to the account. An actually phone call was like $3/minute, but if he had a data signal, face time was a "data use" and so no cost for that.

Just switched to ATT Fiber at the house and the rep offered me a deal too switch over to ATT wireless, all 6 lines, including trading in an iPhone 8 and getting a new iPhone 12 Mini and iPhone 12 (rest of the lines are bring your own device). Just to keep the math simple, it basically works out to costing me an extra $650 over 3-years. So basically I'm getting 2 new phones for $650. This includes ATT Next (still trying to understand that whole thing) but the rep said I could cancel that at 18-months if I wanted or keep it and get a new phone. Downside is no international data roaming is part of the plan so son has to use wi-fi when he's out of the country next (which he can usually find on base). He's out on June 2022 so after that it's not a problem. (I could also leave him on T-Mobile thru next year, it just adds cost).

Anyone happy with ATT cell service? I had ATT DSL for a while at home and the customer service was not exactly awesome. But I will say between calling to set up the Fiber the install, the actual install, the guy burying the line and the rep following up with me to see if everything went well, it seems they've upped their game quite a bit. Even the guy who installed the fiber in the house called me a week later to make sure things are going OK and see if I had any questions.

Only thing I haven't done is call T-Mobile and see if they can offer me something to keep me as a customer. Also, whenever I've called 611, an US based rep. has always answered the phone and been very helpful solving any issues.
YouBet
AG
Cell service is fine and it's my best option for great internet. I've never had any issues over the years with actual cell service.

That being said AT&T is a sh^t company and I hate them. The only reason I never switched is because of hassle factor and my wife hates change. Our phones are paid off so I'm now looking to switch cell but will keep internet.

They once charged me $200 out of the blue for no reason whatsoever. Got it removed after a phone rep couldn't figure out what it was for and agreed with me that it was probably fraudulent or in error.

Six months later they snuck the exact same charge onto my bill and retroactively tied it back to the first time they charged it because I never paid it. It took me multiple phone calls up the chain to get it removed. No one on their side could ever explain to me what the fee was for other than I deserved it.

Sorry. I hate them so I always rant when they come up.
agracer
AG
YouBet said:

Cell service is fine and it's my best option for great internet. I've never had any issues over the years with actual cell service.

That being said AT&T is a sh^t company and I hate them. The only reason I never switched is because of hassle factor and my wife hates change. Our phones are paid off so I'm now looking to switch cell but will keep internet.

They once charged me $200 out of the blue for no reason whatsoever. Got it removed after a phone rep couldn't figure out what it was for and agreed with me that it was probably fraudulent or in error.

Six months later they snuck the exact same charge onto my bill and retroactively tied it back to the first time they charged it because I never paid it. It took me multiple phone calls up the chain to get it removed. No one on their side could ever explain to me what the fee was for other than I deserved it.

Sorry. I hate them so I always rant when they come up.

Understand, I had so many billing problems with them 15-years ago when I was on their home phone and DSL service...it was such a hassle to get anyone on the phone and get something fixed.

I did have DSL and TV for a while about 7-years ago and it was actually fine, but they kept raising prices and I went to another internet provider and switched to cordless on/off during college football season.
Pman17
AG
Never had issues with AT&T. They have the best coverage in Texas since they are a Texas company. They are conservative with pricing but you get what you pay for compared to T-Mobile which tries to undercut in prices be only has good service in cities. Fiber pricing ain't bad IMO, I pay as much as AT&T Fiber 1000up/1000down for Xfinity 200up/10down and the freaking fiber line runs under the sidewalk next to my apartment.

Yea, just upgraded my fiances iPhone XR to a iPhone 12 Pro because they were giving me a credit $700 for the XR which is worth around $250. Took that over getting the 13 in two months. $10/mo vs $30/mo financing.

AT&T does have military discount, but isn't as good as T-Mobile. Still something though.

I do have to say, their website sucks and 5G is nothing special.

Oh yea, if you have unlimited elite, they removed the throttling and those that upgrade or add a line right now get Google Stadia Pro for 6 months and an 80% discount on a Chromecast 4K and Stadia Controller.
zooguy96
AT&T sucks. Had them for cell and internet (only thing that was offered in the rural area) and they routinely effed up our bills. Like random $200, $100 charges (same as above) with no idea how it got there. Had to escalate several chains above to get anyone but a mouth breather. Use Cricket now - no issues.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
lb3
AG
I'm happy with ATT. They have better reception than Verizon in the rural parts of Texas we visit most often.

Our unlimited plan includes HBO Max but I'm not sure how long that will last now that ATT is divesting itself of Warner Media.
AggieZUUL
AG
Happy with AT&T cell service....100x better than Sprint /TMobile.
OasisMan
AG
look into US Mobile
The Dog Lord
AG
AT&T works out at the Frio, but it sure struggles in San Antonio for some reason. My wife has to go outside to take calls and has trouble in other areas of town too. My Verizon phone works just fine (except at the river).
Claude!
I've been an AT&T cellular customer since they bought Cingular, so close to twenty years. Have had few to no issues with billing. Coverage is generally pretty good in urban areas and along the highway system, but I have found that it can get spotty in rural areas well off the interstate.
Jasomania
AG
I switched from Sprint to AT&T about two years ago and its mostly been meh. The coverage is generally poor in the same areas it was poor for Sprint. The biggest upside is that is if i'm at a event with a lot of people (football game / concert) AT&T handles it much better than Sprint. I can generally still use my phone like I normally do on AT&T where as with Sprint once there was enough people in a single location my data completely quit on me.

Sprint / T-Mobile's international plans are clutch though, AT&T gives you some options like free data in Canada and Mexico and 2G data in a bunch of countries if you are on an unlimited plan but it costs a lot more to get higher speed data than with Sprint / T-Mobile.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.