Audio Switcher?

507 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
TravelAg2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for something that will let me switch audio between 2 computers. I'd like to plug in one set of headphones (with mic) to a switcher that will let me switch between my home desktop and work laptop.

Essentially an audio only KVM.

I did some googling and it sounds like I need a mixer, but as soon as I dive into that I start seeing stuff about XLR cables and pre-amp outputs and it feels like overkill for what I need.

I don't need audiophile quality, just something basic.
superunknown
AG
A USB mixer/interface might do the trick. Are you just wanting to use both PCs as potential inputs or outputs and toggle the headphone/mic back and forth between the 2?
TravelAg2004
AG
superunknown said:

A USB mixer/interface might do the trick. Are you just wanting to use both PCs as potential inputs or outputs and toggle the headphone/mic back and forth between the 2?
Pretty much.

Right now I have two headsets (Apple Wired Earbuds) plugged in and just switch back and forth. I'd like to just plug one set in and then just press a switch to change from my desktop to laptop as needed.

Total first world problems...
adamsbq06
AG
Get Apple computers and AirPods the audio switches automatically between two computers and a iphone
lb3
AG
Jabra Bluetooth headsets can connect to two devices at once and switch between them with a single button push.

I have a Logitech keyboard and mouse that do the same.
TravelAg2004
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

Get Apple computers and AirPods the audio switches automatically between two computers and a iphone
That would be my preference, but the company isn't going to pony up for a MacBook.
TravelAg2004
AG
lb3 said:

Jabra Bluetooth headsets can connect to two devices at once and switch between them with a single button push.

I have a Logitech keyboard and mouse that do the same.
Thanks for that. I think that may be the answer.
91AggieLawyer
AG
If there is such a thing as a USB-c cable that has a USB-c plug on one end and TWO USB-A ports on the other (2.0 is fine), this MAY work: that cable, plugged into a Focusrite Solo interface (~100-120 dollars) and the interface is outputted to speakers if you wish. Or, if you just need headphones, there's one headphone jack in the interface. I haven't tried it this way, but assuming the cable will make it happen, I can't see any reason why one interface wouldn't work with 2 computers. I would almost bet someone has tried something like this with this interface, so you can search and see.

With that said, how are you going to control what is being played from BOTH computers while being at just one? And if you can control both near simultaneously, why do you need the audio output from BOTH going into ONE headphone? Not trying to throw cold water on this, just don't quite get it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.