Best programming language to learn

1,540 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
trueaggie2782
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to build a front end program that interfaces with a server backend to keep track of inventory and send emails when routine maintenance needs to be performed. I suppose I could accomplish this in Access but I'd like something to be running constantly to send the emails without opening Access. Thoughts? If not, does anyone know a program that can accomplish this?
adamsbq06
AG
Asset Management and Inventory Management? There are several Apps that do that. Not sure you need to write your own
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

Asset Management and Inventory Management? There are several Apps that do that. Not sure you need to write your own
Yup. Don't reinvent the wheel.
AustinAg2K
Do you have any programming experience? Python is a good language to start on if you're new to programming. It's fairly powerful, too, and you can do a lot with it. That's probably where I'd start if I was new to software development. If you want to run the UI in a browser, you'll also need to pick up a UI framework. I believe React is the most popular right now, but it seems like the most popular framework changes every week. It's very different from python, though. UI and backend development are both very different. You're basically going to have to learn two languages.

Another option would be look at something like Azure functions or AWS lambdas. They are server less cloud environments that let you run small programs. For example, it could wake up, run some DB queries, and send an email. You would not need dedicated hardware. You pay by how much compute time it takes. Typically it's pennies. You probably wouldn't need a UI.

One thing I can't tell from your question, though, is if you are approaching this as a purely academic exercise (ie something just for fun) or if it's some sort of project for work. If it's just something for fun, then absolutely do reinvent the wheel. You learn a ton by saying, "I want to recreate this app..." And then doing it. Sometimes you find ways to improve it, too, or turn it into something new.

If it's something you're doing for work, definitely look at off the shelf solutions, and remember that you're likely going to have to support it for a long time.
trueaggie2782
AG
Thanks for the replies. Let me clarify, my church needs a CMMS system and we are looking into options. In the meantime, I have some spare time and was looking at learning a new language. Right now, I'm pretty proficient in the visual basic language. I've decided to pursue JavaScript next which seems very similar to VB so far. My other option was python as well. This was going to be a project to help me learn whichever new language I tried.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
What's your requirements for your front end? That should help you choose.
RockOn
trueaggie2782 said:

Thanks for the replies. Let me clarify, my church needs a CMMS system and we are looking into options. In the meantime, I have some spare time and was looking at learning a new language. Right now, I'm pretty proficient in the visual basic language. I've decided to pursue JavaScript next which seems very similar to VB so far. My other option was python as well. This was going to be a project to help me learn whichever new language I tried.
https://www.rockrms.com/

It's open source so you can get your feet wet on C#/.NET
CapCity12thMan
AG
unless you are doing this for free, and/or some personal project, then this is a buy decision not a build decision, IMHO
TMoney2007
AG
You should add SQL to the things you're trying to learn with this project.

Friends don't let friends use Access as a back end...
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TMoney2007 said:

You should add SQL to the things you're trying to learn with this project.

Friends don't let friends use Access as a back end...
Neither should complete strangers let complete strangers use Access as a back end.

I kid you not, the insurance company I am working for, started a few months ago, has several systems that rely on Access. Only recently did they implement SQL Server, and I have been building a new system that is data-driven with 90% of the logic in T-SQL stored procedures.

As for OP, I would suggest taking a look at Angular (please note, not AngularJS, the first iteration of that framework that holds very few if any similarities with all later iterations). I prefer Angular to React, however, both of these are frameworks that are good to know.

My personal favorite language is C# on the .Net Core framework.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.